Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

Parting off stainless hex bar

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Keith Matheson05/05/2019 12:15:39
43 forum posts
20 photos

Hi. I have been parting some 19mm across flats stainless and a bit unsure as to feeds and speeds when starting to cut. After the flats have been removed by the tool I found about 480 rpm with ‘sensible’ hand feeding worked well ie cuts well, sounds happy nice crisp sound. However, when I start to part the hex parts sound dreadful as the tool smacks itself into the tool at high speed.

I have a Toolco lathe which looks identical to the warco 290. I’m using a rear tool post with a (carbide?) indexible type tool bit (glanze I think). I dribble cutting oil on it with a brush. Basically when it starts it sounds like I’m hammering seven shades of **** out of the tool bit and need to know if I should a. Slow it down initially b keep it as it is or c speed up for the first cutting part.

many thanks Keith mm

ega05/05/2019 12:27:44
2805 forum posts
219 photos

It's normal for the initial interrupted cut to be noisy. You could consider taking off the flats with a front-mounted HSS tool at slower speed and then move to the RTP at your favoured speed and feed.

vintage engineer05/05/2019 12:28:24
293 forum posts
1 photos

Start slow until the bar is round then treat the same as round bar.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate