By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

Oil gauge on Backhead?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Jon Lawes15/10/2018 12:15:15
1078 forum posts

On Plate 31 of the Martin Evans "Manual of Model Steam Locomotive Construction" it shows a picture of a partially assembled BR Standard 7 Britannia boiler (3.5 inch) with many fittings installed. One of these is a gauge right in the centre at the top of the backhead between twin water glasses, and although its a Bourdon tube style gauge it has just two sectors marked up, "NO OIL" and "OIL".

I assume its linked somehow to the reservoir on the lubricator tank but I've never seen one fitted to a scale locomotive before. Can anyone shed any light on it please?

Jeff Dayman15/10/2018 14:41:57
2356 forum posts
47 photos

Maybe the builder connected the oil pump output line to the gauge on its' way to the cylinders and other points oiled. That way the driver could see the status of oil pressure and from it, and infer the engine was getting oil.

Course you can also tell that from a) engine stays running b) stack has oily deposit in it c) clean white glove gets oily spots on it when placed over stack while running (where were those clean white gloves again?)

julian atkins16/10/2018 23:03:14
1285 forum posts
353 photos

It is the late Roy Amesbury's 3.5"g Brit, and Roy described it in ME in 1966 or 1967. A search of the Index will provide the relevant MEs.

I cannot recall from memory whether Roy explained the 'oil - no oil' gauge, but he later described for his later GWR loco making all his own pressure gauges around 1972 and a duplex brake valve gauge. He later described his GWR President loco around 1982 with his homemade gauges. Roy worked at Rolls Royce in Derby.

Hope the above is some interest.

Cheers,

Julian

Jon Lawes17/10/2018 07:36:36
1078 forum posts
Very interesting, thanks

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate