By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

About slide valves

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
T.Swinfield27/07/2018 17:34:20
9 forum posts

Hi I have been following plans to make a steam engine, and the slide valve size is 15mm long, this is with lead, without lead it would be 12mm long, can someone tell me how this size was calculated.

Thank you for any information.

Jon Lawes27/07/2018 18:52:41
1078 forum posts

Have you got a bit more information so we can flesh out the request a little? Was this the aforementioned Jenny?

Paul Kemp27/07/2018 19:42:07
798 forum posts
27 photos

I think you are mixing up lead with lap for this question? Lead is the amount a valve will be open to steam when the piston is on dead centre. Ie lead introduces steam to the cylinder before the piston goes over centre, there are a number of reasons for this one being it provides a cushioning effect to the piston. Lead is determined mainly by the setting of the valve gear, in Stephenson's link motion this will be the angle of advance of the eccentric at full gear. Lap on the other hand is the amount the valve overlaps the outside edge of the steam ports. For example if the measurement across the outside edges of your steam ports is 12mm and you make the valve 15mm then it has 1.5mm lap (overlaps the outside edges of the ports by 1.5mm each end when the valve is set mid travel). Lap also needs to be considered when timing the valve gear. To get a real understanding of lap and lead you really need to study valve gear and the implications of valve events and the different types of valve gear available and the idea of variable or constant lead.

Paul.

T.Swinfield27/07/2018 22:48:16
9 forum posts

Hi this is not the Jenny , in Engineering In Miniature there's an article on making a Double Acting Stationary Engine, I am not making this engine, but the size of the piston and cylinder is what I need for another project, the slide valve will be operated from the crank by an eccentric rod. The ports on the cylinder at 2mm wide x 2mm space x 4mm wide x 2mm space x 2mm wide, total 12mm but the valve is 15mm long.

I hope this helps .

Thank for your time , Tony s.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate