By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

New lathe owner from south west wales

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Ben Philpott26/10/2016 08:28:51
3 forum posts
Hi, I come from pembrokeshire in Wales, I just bought a barker lathe last night, really struggling to find any info on it. I use a lathe in work daily so it's not a learning curve to me, I use a warco 250, piece of Chinese poo. But got this barker for myself as I spent all of my free time building bikes and restoring old tractors, getting into cars slowly too. So this will find its place in doing some work for me no doubt

Regards Ben
Lambton26/10/2016 16:15:53
694 forum posts
2 photos

Ben,

Have a look at this site. **LINK**

not done it yet26/10/2016 17:57:36
7517 forum posts
20 photos

Looks substantial. Able but cumbersome.

It looks to be conservatively powered and might benefit from a larger 3 ph motor with VFD speed control? The bottom power feed, to the lead screw, might be a source of oil loss?

But, if accurate, another great british machine that could last into the next century (unlike that chinese poo!). New bed bars could possibly be available from a hydraulic cylinder builder if needed.

I like it! Enjoy!

Ben Philpott27/10/2016 13:47:21
3 forum posts
Thankyou who ever you are 'not done it yet' is that a common place for them to lose oil on the lead screw? Also what is this 3hp motor with vfd speed control that you say? I need to convert from 3 phase to single phase so maybe this might be a option!
When I figure out how to post pictures I shall post one of a area where a lever is supposed to be, I don't have it and I don know what it would have done so I'd like to find out

Regards Ben
not done it yet27/10/2016 19:29:59
7517 forum posts
20 photos

The comment re possible oil loss was because the power-out shaft is vertically downwards. They may have some superb oil seal arrangement, but oil running downwards is so much more difficult to control. I, for one, would never buy an engine with vertical crankshaft, if avoidable (think here lawn mowers in particular).

I most certainly did not mention 3 HP!! It might be robust enough for a 1HP motor but a 0.75 HP would likely make it much more responsive without overloading the mechanicals. I would most certainly not fit a 3 HP motor to that machine - far, far too powerful.

Fitting a VFD for 415V is more expensive than fitting one for 230V three phase operation from a single phase supply. Changing the motor to a (slightly) larger motor which can be run from a VFD might kill two birds with one stone - better power, and speed control.

Many machines of that era were uprated in power, at a later date, by the manufacturers. Both my lathe and milling machine were originally fitted with lower power motors but the later iterants, using the same basic mechanicals, were fitted with higher power motors. One went from 1/2 HP to (eventiually) 1 HP and the other from 3/4 HP to 1 HP.

RAB

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate