Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

Class 22 Diesel (next project)

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Ron Laden28/07/2019 10:32:50
2320 forum posts
452 photos

They say that variety is the spice of life and although the class 22 is the main project at the moment mainly because it will come together quite quickly. I will be filling in with parts for the TE and I was working on a few ideas for it yesterday. Just to add to the workload and not fully decided yet but I may also fit in the part drawn below and slowly, slowly make some parts to go with it as I like the look of the finished item, but what is it..?

I think I know a man who will know exactly what it is..smiley

scose-01.jpg

Edited By Ron Laden on 28/07/2019 10:33:40

Ron Laden07/08/2019 20:26:18
2320 forum posts
452 photos

Hopefully things should speed up now as I have the bogie side plates and the motor mounting plates. Laser cut which I make no excuses for, my right arm will no longer allow me to carry out any serious hacksawing otherwise I would have cut them manually. I am very fortunate in that I have a friend who cut them for me FOC plus they were cut on a new machine that had only been commissioned 2 weeks ago, the edges are very clean indeed which is a bonus. I still have work to do on the plates so I do have to put some effort in.

dsc06867.jpg

Jeff Dayman07/08/2019 22:07:05
2356 forum posts
47 photos

Looks like nice clean cutting work Ron. Good to have a friend in that biz!

Ron Laden08/08/2019 10:45:49
2320 forum posts
452 photos
First job on the motor plates was to machine a 1.0 mm deep recess for the axle bearing shoulder. The motor body length makes things a little tight between the wheel back to back when the plates and bearings are added. The bearing shoulders I have reduce from 3.0 mm to 2.0 mm thick and with the recess I should gain a further 2.0 mm which will leave 1.0 mm end float when the motor assy,s are mounted on the axles.
The recess is 4.5 mm wide x 1.0 mm deep which I did as two 0.5 mm cuts using the rotary table, worked well using a 8mm 3 flute HSS end mill (ARC premium range) .
A bit of video below of the second cut and the finished result.
Ron Laden09/08/2019 08:15:02
2320 forum posts
452 photos

I put in the spring slots on a couple of the motor plates to see how it was looking, the gap between the plates will be 3mm when the axles are mounted in the bogie. The usual is to slot the plates and locate them onto a tie bar but I thought I would give the springs a try. I think it should work ok, I cant envisage any problems with it but if there is I still have space to add a tie bar.

p.s. The blue springs fitted here are what I consider medium strength but I will fit the green heavy springs on final assembly, picture of the different strength springs on a previous post.

dsc06873.jpg

Edited By Ron Laden on 09/08/2019 08:47:27

Ron Laden11/08/2019 08:53:16
2320 forum posts
452 photos

Apart from slotting the motor fixing holes for belt adjustment (awaiting a 5mm end mill) the motor plates are finished with the bearings fitted. I loosely put an assy together to see how things were looking and it seems ok.

The only mistake I can see at the moment is the tie bar fixing holes at the end of the plates next to the bearing. I had it in mind to use hex head screws to mount the tie bar but as you can see there is no space for a hex head, dont know what I was thinking there. All is not lost though as I can csk the plates and use csk screws.

I also have to spot through the 3 holes from the plate to the motor rear end casting then drill and tap M5 for fixing, the motor front end comes with M5 mounting holes.

So its coming along and although I had it worked out on paper its always a relief when it comes together in the flesh.

dsc06877.jpg

Dave Smith 1411/08/2019 09:26:04
222 forum posts
48 photos

Ron

Very nice job you are doing there. I have absolutely no problems with laser cutting parts, life is to short to spend hacksawing and filing. I am building a Don Young Aspinall class 27. My retirement present to myself from work was any thing that could be laser cut was. I ended up with over 300 parts!

Dave

Ron Laden12/08/2019 17:05:33
2320 forum posts
452 photos

The motors have had the brush wires soldered, they were crimped but whilst I had the motors apart I thought belt and braces and soldered the connections. I have also added the M5 mounting studs to the rear cover, the covers are cast aluminium and quite soft. The front cover is 4mm thick and comes with 3 x M5 tapped holes, the rear though is only 2mm thick with no holes. With only 2mm of soft material I thought it stronger to fit the screws from the inside and use retainer to lock them in place. The front motor mount plate will be fixed with hex screws and the rear mount plate with nuts.

dsc06879.jpg

SillyOldDuffer12/08/2019 20:08:39
10668 forum posts
2415 photos
Posted by Ron Laden on 12/08/2019 17:05:33:

The motors have had the brush wires soldered, they were crimped but whilst I had the motors apart I thought belt and braces and soldered the connections.

I doubt it will make a difference unless the motors are used lots but soldering isn't recommended for terminating flexible connections. The solder wicks up the braid and reduces it's ability to soak up vibration whilst also creating a stiff point where stress concentrates and causes fatigue failures.

Can't say how much it matters in practice. I've never seen any figures comparing the reliability of solder vs crimped joints on flexible wires and have broken the rule myself many times fixing old cars.

Dave

Ron Laden13/08/2019 08:26:22
2320 forum posts
452 photos

Thanks Dave but I,m not too concerned, I put just a small spot of solder on the crimp to make sure it didnt work loose and I couldnt see any sign that the solder had wicked up into the braid.

Ron

Ron Laden17/08/2019 08:22:28
2320 forum posts
452 photos

The 4 motor assy,s are completed, just starting on the bogie frames.

dsc06890.jpg

SillyOldDuffer17/08/2019 09:10:21
10668 forum posts
2415 photos
Posted by Ron Laden on 17/08/2019 08:22:28:

The 4 motor assy,s are completed, just starting on the bogie frames.

dsc06890.jpg

Very good! I like the way you go neatly from concept to reality. But could you slow down by about 2000% please? Your rate of progress has got my inferiority complex into meltdown!

smiley

Dave

Ron Laden17/08/2019 12:30:16
2320 forum posts
452 photos

Dave...and there I was thinking I really need to get a move on and stop dragging my feet..lol

I was hoping to be at the building of the body stage by now but to be honest I am not rushing, when parts start to come together though I like to keep things moving along.

Its Jason that you need to watch, his rate of production amazes me and I think at times he seems to have two or three projects running side by side and all to a very high standard, impressive.

Ron

Ron Laden18/08/2019 08:58:51
2320 forum posts
452 photos

Centre drilled the holes on one of the bogie plates to use as a template for drilling all four plates, going to drill as a four plate sandwich to achieve two matched pairs.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing and I think it would probably have been better to have gone with 4mm maybe even 5mm for the plates over the 3mm I have gone with, having said that I have convinced myself that the 3mm will be ok. The 0-4-0 I built is all based on 3mm for the chassis, running gear and motor mounts and that seems to be a tough little loco, it has run quite a few miles now with no issues.

A piccie of the plates mounted to the axles just to see how it is looking so far.

dsc06895.jpg

Edited By Ron Laden on 18/08/2019 09:28:30

Ron Laden18/08/2019 13:28:06
2320 forum posts
452 photos

Just goes to show that assumptions can be dangerous, for the two main chassis rails I based the design on 50 x 25 x 3mm bright steel angle, thinking it would be readily available as a standard size but I didnt bother to check and its not. I could have sworn I,ve seen it in the past but maybe not, unless it was and is now discontinued.

I now have the option of either 40 x 25 x 4mm steel or 2" x 1" x 3/16" alu angle, so I will probably go with the alu. The 2 inch (50mm) is a prefered dimension, it should be strong enough plus I have a lot of chain drilling to do so the alu will make that a bit easier.

Ron Laden19/08/2019 09:33:01
2320 forum posts
452 photos

Hooray for the DRO,s I fitted to the mill, first time I have really used them since adding them a couple of weeks back, what a boon they are.

I sandwiched the bogie plates for putting in the various holes, the DRO,s made it a doddle for placing the holes, money well spent I think.

dsc06898.jpg

Ron Laden22/08/2019 07:42:44
2320 forum posts
452 photos

The spring mounts are a permanent fixture and I fitted them to the plates with M4 cap heads which I locked with 638 retainer. I then put them up on the mill and machined off the socket and filed two vertical edges, no big deal but I think they now look a lot better than cap heads.

dsc06908.jpg

Ron Laden24/08/2019 08:20:58
2320 forum posts
452 photos
Gave a pair of the drives a quick test run, top speed 850 rpm which will be 8 mph so thats worked out ok.
They are reasonably quiet when running, in fact I think you would hardly hear them out in the open as they will get drowned out by other track noise....I may need to add a diesel sound system..wink
Ron Laden25/08/2019 18:04:19
2320 forum posts
452 photos

Had a productive morning, I,ve been running in the drive assys in pairs just to get them settled in so to speak. Of the eight axle bearings one is running hot compared to the others which are all no more than luke warm after half an hour of running. I am not too concerned about it though as I know its not tight on the axle and I suspect there is a slight misalignment between the two bearings on that axle. The motor is not struggling or hesitating so I will keep running it in, the bearings are oilites running on a steel axle so I think it will settle in.

Made up the 8 bogie plate tie bars and currently working on the bogie mount/pivot plates. I had planned on using 60 x 10 bright steel bar but found I had enough 80 x 10 standard bar so have gone with that. I was also going to go with a thrust race for the pivot but I may just go with a plain spacer, what ever I go with needs a decent surface to run on so I flycut a 60mm wide band 0.2 mm deep.

dsc06916.jpg

Ron Laden26/08/2019 09:27:16
2320 forum posts
452 photos

The main metal work is finished on the bogies, waiting for some axle springs plus I have to add detail parts to the side plates but will probably leave that until just before starting on the body.

Chassis is next.

dsc06917.jpg

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate