Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

Metal Cutting Power Saw

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Philip Powell17/08/2019 21:04:56
68 forum posts
15 photos

I run my Femi dry as per instructions, only two speeds so I just run on the slowest speed all the time.

Phil.

Joseph Noci 117/08/2019 21:15:15
1323 forum posts
1431 photos

YouTube hacksaw videoThank You those with nice words re my little power hacksaw...Two reasons I made that machine, one being that it has been a project on the wish list for many years, and two, I have a bandsaw - see below, so there was always a reason to not get started on the hacksaw..

This is a pic from the front cover of the user handbook - my saw differs slightly - switch gear in a different place, etc.

This saw works very well, but although it delayed the start of the hacksaw, it also prompted it..I dislike changing blades on the bandsaw, and the saw never seems to have the correct blade in it! I often cut thin wall (2mm maybe) tubing and then there is a 10TPI blade in the machine for the last 100mm aluminium billet that was cut, etc.

I always find that the different TPI blades track differently, and so to get a square cut involves faffing about after changing a blade. The blade guides are very firmly set up ( I did machine the mating surfaces to get a better fit than the sloppy delivered article). The blade guide bearings are firm and snug against the blade, but when the blade opening is more than 180mm to 200mm, the blade flexes between the guides and tracks as it will.

My blades are 22mm wide and I guess about 0.7mm thick? not sure..

I allways cut wet ( with coolant) for material of a few square inches and more.

So, the hacksaw was pushed up the list. Now the hacksaw has a 24tpi blade in it all the time and is used for all the thin stuff - for which it is better suited anyway, as the thin stuff does not take so long in the hacksaw.

bandsaw1.jpg

Here is a video of the hacksaw while being made and tested...

Joe

Edited By Joseph Noci 1 on 17/08/2019 21:16:57

Howard Lewis17/08/2019 21:23:49
7227 forum posts
21 photos

Having the wrong blade or tool in place is governed by Newton's Fourth Law, sometimes attributed to Sod

As my Physics master said, "The Law of the Eternal Cussedness of Things.

(NO, not Silly old Duffer! )

Howard

Edited By Howard Lewis on 17/08/2019 21:24:03

ChrisB17/08/2019 21:32:06
671 forum posts
212 photos

I found the 8/12 vari-tooth blades a good allrounder. Thinnest I cut is 2mm square section and at the same time makes short work of 60mm round bar. Much better than the 14tpi blade the bandsaw came with. Coolant of course helps.

Ron Laden18/08/2019 09:16:03
2320 forum posts
452 photos

The spec on the Femi 105 has a 8/12 vari blade as the blade type recommended so I am assuming/hoping thats what it will come with if its a good allrounder.

JasonB18/08/2019 10:08:57
25215 forum posts
3105 photos
1 articles

The 8/12 works fine for me on all sorts.

Ron Laden21/08/2019 09:15:55
2320 forum posts
452 photos

The Femi arrived and I am very impressed, nice quality and well put together. I thought you probably have to do a bit of assy but there is none of that it comes complete and set up, take it out of the box, plug it in and its ready to use. I gave it a go with 50mm alu and 25mm steel bar and it cut very well with nice square cuts. The only thing I have found is when cutting the blade has a slight bump once every full revolution of the blade, dont know why but apart from that it cuts fine.

The real bonus for me is despite having a 4 inch capacity how compact and portable it is, I have cleared a space under a bench and it can live there when not in use.

Really pleased with it, thanks to the people who recommended a Femi.

dsc06904.jpg

Edited By Ron Laden on 21/08/2019 09:43:20

ChrisB21/08/2019 09:45:43
671 forum posts
212 photos
Posted by Ron Laden on 21/08/2019 09:15:55:
The only thing I have found is when cutting the blade has a slight bump once every full revolution of the blade, dont know why but apart from that it cuts fine.

That's normal, it's the weld to join the ends of the blade. Have a look at the blade and see if there's any extra material which maybe was not fully ground off.

Ron Laden21/08/2019 15:49:41
2320 forum posts
452 photos

Thanks Chris,

Thats good to know at least there isnt a fault, will check the blade later.

Ron

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate