Malicious website ?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Bob Unitt 119/05/2023 10:00:47
323 forum posts
35 photos
Posted by SillyOldDuffer on 18/05/2023 13:23:03:
Posted by Bob Unitt 1 on 18/05/2023 10:11:53:

Why would you trust an online website purporting to check other websites any more than you would trust any other online website ? Does not compute...

Yes indeed, and "Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?" has always been a problem. (Who watches the watchmen?)

Faulty logic as a reason for not bothering with deeper checking though. Even though security is never perfect, it's still prudent to do ones best.

As far as I know, no-one has successfully faked a website security check website - yet. Not impossible, but a tricky challenge to pull-off for any length of time.

I wasn't suggesting you shouldn't do such checks, just the general "Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?" of the situation. I do such checks myself, and have certain sites and tools I trust, but my faith in them isn't absolute.

You can't be sure that a site isn't compromised in some way, as the definition of a successful compromise is that you can't detect that it's happened.

Even the big-boys can be infected - some years ago a colleague of mine went to a major IBM developer's conference in California, returning with a conference-provided CD of tools and information. On his return he found an urgent email from IBM - "DON'T OPEN THAT CD, IT'S GOT VIRUS !".

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate