By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for AdrianR

Here is a list of all the postings AdrianR has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Workshop - indoors or outdoors
25/02/2019 21:04:37

I would go cellar, artificial light is not a problem, if you are like me you need to have extra lighting on your work any way.

Work out how to build a ramp for the coal hole, add a good chain winch and getting things in and out would be easy.

Also I am half way building my garden workshop, it is quite a long job, and costs many £££. If i had a ready made space I would have used it.

Thread: new workshop
21/02/2019 18:38:11

Hi Gordon,

The building regs now have a chunk all about sound proofing so materials are quite easy to get. Have a look at https://www.insulationexpress.co.uk/guides/acoustic-insulation/how-to-soundproof-a-floor or https://www.soundproofingstore.co.uk/timber-joisted-floors for a starting point.

Adrian

Thread: Pensions
21/02/2019 18:28:11

Shop around for financial advise, 3% is high, I am paying 0.5% to the adviser and 0.4% to the investment plan.

Re estimating your longevity, look at your parents and relatives.

My plan after my wife dies is to buy a barrel of single malt whisky, and pop speed. I will have plenty of energy till I burn out.

Thread: Chester Craftsman Lathe
03/02/2019 12:46:04

Hi Alan,

This link is for another Operators manual which seems to be the same as the Craftsman. **LINK**

I have spot checked the parts list with the Craftsman and the part numbers seem to be the same. Thing that puzzles me with the Grizzly g9249 and the BT1337G1 is that they say 37" (940mm) between centres where as the craftsman is 23" (570mm) . This is despite the bed part number being the same in all three parts lists

Chester could sure do with rewriting the manual, it is terrible.

Adrian

Thread: Milling on the Chester Craftsman
03/02/2019 11:51:59

Thanks Howard,

I actually have that copy of MEW thanks to my wife buying me a whole load of back issues for Christmas.

Adrian

31/01/2019 19:48:10

Hi Martin,

Yes I would be interested, but I am at a loss how to shift it. I guess your relative got it in, so he must know how to get it out. I am a few months away from having the workshop ready though.

Adrian

Thread: Hi from East Lincolnshire
31/01/2019 18:01:09

Yeup, sounds sensible, a local engineering group would be great. So far I have not been able to find one.

31/01/2019 17:29:00

I have looked at the Boxford and liked them, a little puzzled what all the AUD, BUD, CUD mean. I stopped looking as they stopped producing them in the 70's, and the current manual lathes start at 3 x my whole budget.

I dont have anything against buying second hand, except I don't feel I have the experience to tell if it is a gem or a lemon. Plus the whole shifting it out of someones workshop would add to the cost. New would be delivered and at least dropped on my drive. I can put it in the garage and then take my time moving it into the work shop.

I am not overly hung up about getting a gear box, i quite like setting up the gears. I am pretty sure the Craftsman has a 127t but I will put it in my list of questions for them.

I have just had a reply from Chester regarding the T slot and fitting my vertical slide. They offered to fit their vertical slide FOC, If i buy it of course. I assume they must drill and tap the cross slide as the one shown on the site has 4 mounting holes.

Thread: Hi from East Lincolnshire
31/01/2019 12:42:46

Hi All

I have just retired and moved into the area. I am in the process of building a new workshop approx 4m x 3.5m which is brick skin with insulation and inner surface of ply. I hope this will be a good and dry.

I do not have much experience with lathes etc. School boy access to a lathe, then about 10 years ago was given a 1912 Drummond B. My father was helping clean out an old boys garage and found it between the fence and garage where, it had been regularly soaked in old engine oil so not much rust. I started to restore it, lots of bed scraping got the slide moving over 3/4 of the bed. Also repaired cross slide thread. However the big blocker for me was the worn bed feed screw and nut. At some point it had been repaired with white metal being pored into the thread. Works fine for 1/2 the travel, Solidly jams after that.

I have recently inherited my fathers Myford ML1, not in great condition, not too worn but the chuck end bearing pinch clamp broke off, and has been replaced with a hand made cap.

I have always wanted a Super 7, but the price is beyond my budget. So I have decided on a new lathe that meets or beats the Super 7 spec. The short list is; Warco WM 250V, Chester DB10 Super possibly long bed, Chester DB11GVS or Chester Craftsman.

I have always wanted a mill too, but recent price rises have made that unlikely to be in my budget. I already have a Myford style vertical swivel slide that I used on my Drummond. This on the Craftsman I think would do me perfectly. But I am not sure if it can be fitted without a lot of modification. Possibly making a new cross slide, which would be difficult with out a mill. Good old chicken and egg!

An alternative is to go smaller on the lathe and buy a mill, possibly even down to the WM240B.

My other consideration is metric and/or imperial, I am of an age where I work in both, but have inherited a lot of imperial tooling. The Drummond spoilt me with a 127 tooth change wheel. So metric threads, no problem.

These new lathes seem to not have the 127t and only offer approximations, and I don't know if this is an issue for me.

I think my interests lie mostly in tool making. Dreams of making index heads, hobbing tools etc. I do have an interest in sterling engines and do wish to make some too.

So enough of my ramble, time to get back to building the workshop

Adrian

30/01/2019 18:06:34

Yes I saw that, but the images only show a large T slot in the topslide.

30/01/2019 17:30:31

Hi,

I am looking at the Chester Craftsman, but If I get the Craftsman, I wont have the funds to buy a mill.

From what I have sen it does not have any T slots on the cross slide so I cant see any way to attach my vertical slide (Myford swivel type)

Has any one used the Craftsman for milling?

Thanks

Adrian

Thread: Hi all from Lincs.
07/12/2018 11:22:29

Hello All,

Well this is a fortuitous post. I just signed up with the forum to see if there was anyone near me and to introduce my self.

I have just retired and moved to East Lindsey and I am just starting to build my long dreamed of workshop.

My experience is not much more than a handy man with fond memories of the Super 7 at school. I do have a very tired 1912 Drummond flatbed that I started to restore, but that may be a little too far gone.

Adrian

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate