By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for blowlamp

Here is a list of all the postings blowlamp has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Improved Experimental Pendulum
21/05/2023 15:22:58

There's some interesting and maybe pertinant stuff here in an article about Philip Woodward's W5 clock.

Martin.

21/05/2023 12:11:36

Dave.

I just came across my copy of Philip Woodward's book, My Own Right Time.

I see that he managed to achieve an accuracy of 1 second in 100 days without enclosing the pendulum in a vacuum chamber. However, what he did find to be important was to blend or radius the edges of the cylindrical bob to reduce air turbulence.

Martin.

Thread: MOI cad. It looks good, is it?
20/05/2023 11:55:09

Lee.

Glad you haven't given up. smiley

Sorry if you are already aware of this, but you can load images of the head for tracing purposes etc, if that helps.

Also, If you get stuck whilst using a particular tool the ?Help icon takes you straight to the information about the tool in use. I find it sometimes gives me a useful nudge.

Martin.

20/05/2023 00:34:01

A video with a few ways to get things properly positioned in MoI, for things like stud or bolt holes and also attaching a boss to the side of a cylinder.

Martin.

19/05/2023 16:41:25

Dave.

Remember that these are just renders of the solid models produced by MoI.

I'm not trying to claim MoI is anything more than it actually is. You wouldn't design the Space Shuttle in it, just as you wouldn't try to do that in Fusion 360 or Alibre products.

What I am able to do in MoI is produce both solid model files, STL and DXF files, along with dimensioned drawings for my own use. I can send its output to my CAM systems and create excellent gcode for my CNC lathe & milling machine.

"The last MOI example represents a record turntable. It's a broadly correct and scaled external view that could be 3D printed as a model, used to illustrate a forum post, or published in a glossy magazine advert.

Great, so far as it goes, but tell me if I'm wrong: the turntable isn't an engineering model. It's an outer view of a turntable with nothing inside."

You are almost certainly wrong:

As I didn't model the turntable myself I can't tell you how well it has been constructed, but I can tell you that if I had modeled it, then each part of it would be to correct size and ready for transfer to Solid Edge, Fusion 360, Alibre or any CAM system.

The Cars you have posted do give a good indication of some of the nice shapes you can make in MoI that would be manufacturable directly from the MoI file output.

The models I make in MoI can be imported into your favourite mechanical CAD app and edited there - they are just the same NURBS models.

Martin.

19/05/2023 13:56:43

Dave.

When you said this:

"MOI is good at curves, making it an excellent choice for 3d-print modelling. Also photo-realistic images, and designing decorative objects. It also appears to be easy to learn, and can do flat stuff as well. All considerable advantages if that's what's needed, but not for me. My needs are more 'mechanical engineering' , and although Solid Edge has surface tools that can do similar to MOI, I've never used them."

I must point out that MoI doesn't do photo-realistic images at all and it's not advertised anywhere that I know of for designing decorative objects, although you could do that if you wanted to.

MoI is perfectly capable of creating an accurate model of anything from a vase to a jet engine, but not in a parametric way. This is why it can export in SAT, IGES and STEP formats, etc. The v5 beta that I'm running also uses the ACIS modeling kernel as well as Solids++.

I'm fairly sure that the need to use surfaces will creep up on you as your designs change. smiley

Martin.

Edited By blowlamp on 19/05/2023 13:57:28

19/05/2023 10:46:01
Posted by JasonB on 19/05/2023 07:36:49:
Posted by lee webster on 18/05/2023 21:30:17:

Sorry Martin, but it's a thumbs down from me. Just a few minutes into MOI I discovered that it doesn't have an extruded cut, an essential part of my designing. Also, to create something like a OHV head for a single cylinder engine would have taken a minimum of 12 bodies that would have to be either boolean'd together, or removed, unless there is another way. I was however, very impressed with the size of the download file. They packed a lot of programme into a small space.

Lee

It's just different ways of doing the same thing and you probably need to give it more than a couple of hours to find out the way MOI works.

Going back to Nigel's early posts with teh nut and cylinder cover Martin got the same results with boolenes as I got with cuts. His recent video that just used the plan and section sketches is a lot less work than having to extrude that section, then do cuts for the two notched out areas, holes, rounding and filleting etc

Jason.

I agree, just a different way of getting the job done as I think MoI is classed as a Direct Modeler whereas Alibre & Fusion 360 are Parametric.

You might be able to do the same thing in your version of Alibre as I did in my last video by extruding two solids that intersect and then doing a boolean intersect.

Martin.

19/05/2023 10:32:40
Posted by John McNamara on 19/05/2023 02:06:39:

Yes it does look promising. If only it included CAM apart from 3d printing many people have small routers and mills.
Sadly most low cost or free roads lead to Fusion 360 for that at the moment, a real pity.

John.

There's no doubt that Fusion 360 is a very capable package, that I have used, but the fact that I could never 'own' it always sat uneasy with me. I really do not like the idea of software as a subscription service, so I prefer to buy elsewhere.

Martin.

18/05/2023 23:04:49
Posted by lee webster on 18/05/2023 21:30:17:

Sorry Martin, but it's a thumbs down from me. Just a few minutes into MOI I discovered that it doesn't have an extruded cut, an essential part of my designing. Also, to create something like a OHV head for a single cylinder engine would have taken a minimum of 12 bodies that would have to be either boolean'd together, or removed...

Lee

Lee.

You can easily do an extruded through cut with curves, just by selecting the solid and a suitably placed curve and then doing a Boolean Difference.

The cylinder heads in your picture look simple enough, so I did a quick video of one way this could be done in MoI. A few more booleans and you could relieve the fins for the plug hole & stud holes. Dead easy.

Martin.

18/05/2023 21:27:40
Posted by Ady1 on 17/05/2023 21:58:17:

MOI doesn't do assembly/movement does it?

Makes MOI a dead duck for me

If I was an artist I'd deffo be interested

You are right Ady, MoI doesn't have those particular tools, but it does have a well developed range of modelling tools that aren't necessarily available in similarly priced CAD packages.

Martin.

18/05/2023 21:14:55
Posted by lee webster on 17/05/2023 22:21:48:

Martin.

I should be downloading MOI tomorrow. I will see if I am going to get on with it, and if I do I might start a new post about my progress.

Lee.

I would be interested to see how you get on with MoI, so it's a yes from me if you take us through your learning curve.

Martin.

17/05/2023 20:36:44
Posted by lee webster on 17/05/2023 20:25:51:

I had a reply from MOI by a man called Michael. He has answered all the questions I put to him about downloading MOI, and the price in UK pounds if I decide to buy. If it does what I what it to do then the price is more than fair. Even though Designspark won't export a file in a format MOI understands, I've come across a way of extracting each body from the DS file in a format MOI can understand.

Lee

Hi Lee.

Michael Gibson is the author of MoI and offers support that is second to none. He is also the author of Rhino Cad, so is a real expert in his field.

Download it and have some fun. wink

Martin.

17/05/2023 20:22:41

I think the Scene Browser would be the equivalent in MoI. This Video should give you an idea of how objects can be filtered & organised for further work.

Martin.

17/05/2023 18:39:29

Have a shufty over here: http://moi3d.com/4.0/docs/moi_command_reference.htm

Nice, concise eplanation of each tool in MoI v4. I'm currently running a beta of v5, which is going to be a worthwhile update.

I'm happy to demo any features you might be interested in.

Martin.

Edited By blowlamp on 17/05/2023 18:56:18

17/05/2023 18:24:39

Lee.

MoI never needs to be online for anything except for downloading updates. It can also be installed onto a USB stick and used on any other computer as well.

File formats are:

Import: 3DM (native format), IGES, STEP, SAT, DXF, SVG, PDF and Illustrator. It will also import OBJ and FBX files, which are converted to sufaces/solids on import.

Export: 3DM, IGES, STEP, SAT, DXF, SVG, PDF, Illustrator, FBX, LWO, STL, OBJ, SKP and 3DS.

Martin.

Thread: Alibre - A First Attempt
17/05/2023 16:40:22

Not a specific tool for text, but you can use the Flow tool in MoI to distribute text, or anything else, along a curve or fit it to a surface.

Martin.

16/05/2023 18:04:31
Posted by lee webster on 16/05/2023 16:48:49:

Hi Nigel,

Any progress with Alibre? I tried it for a few days, and as good as it is, it isn't for me, so I have un-installed it. I will continue to do my main work with Design spark, and wander into Solidedge when I need serious text design.

Good luck.

Shame about that Lee. It's never easy finding the thing that suits you best.

You have got me wondering what you'll be doing in Solidedge with regard to text design though - something like nameplatesquestion

Martin.

Thread: Alibre Atom 3D. A question to those who use it.
12/05/2023 17:33:51

Boolean 'Merge' is ideal for for this job. From only a model of the piston it's straightforward to create the core, core mould, piston mould and retain the model of the piston.

Martin.

12/05/2023 01:19:15
Posted by lee webster on 12/05/2023 00:24:09:

One way to make the mould would be to use a copy of the piston, for instance, slice it in two, and add flanges etc. Making the core was just a step in the process of creating the core mould. Cutting a piston copy in half would eliminate the need for the core to be created. Any thoughts?

I think you might be getting into constructing surfaces to make the rest of the mould, which then need to be made into solids, and that can be quite a bit more tricky to do.

Martin.

12/05/2023 00:18:41

Similar technique done in MoI.

Martin.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate