By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Gary Wooding

Here is a list of all the postings Gary Wooding has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Gaggia coffee machine repair
25/07/2023 15:59:58

You could try a bit of PEEK, a plastic which can stand temperatures up to 220°C and a melting point of 343°C.

Thread: Strangest Things
25/07/2023 13:55:14

Continued from previous post.

The storm also disrupted the electricity supply, the telephone network and the railway service. Many people had to be rescued by the fire brigade or the police from their flooded properties or vehicles. Fortunately, there were no fatalities or serious injuries reported, but many people were left homeless or without essential services.

The storm of July 14, 1981, was described as a “once in a lifetime” event by some meteorologists, who compared it to the Lynmouth flood of 1952 or the Boscastle flood of 2004. It remains one of the worst floods in Birmingham’s history.

25/07/2023 13:54:32

I gave Bing a try-out about this storm. I asked about a severe rainstorm in Birmingham around 1980. It responded with the following...

It happened on July 14, 1981, when a record-breaking 58.2 mm of rain fell in just one hour at Edgbaston, causing widespread flooding and damage across the city.

The storm was caused by a cold front that clashed with warm and humid air over the Midlands, creating intense thunderstorms and torrential downpours. The rain was so heavy that it overwhelmed the drainage system and turned streets into rivers, trapping cars and buses. Some areas were submerged under 1.5 metres of water.

The flooding affected many homes, businesses, schools and public buildings, such as the Birmingham Repertory Theatre, the Birmingham Museum and Art Gallery, and the Birmingham Central Library. The library suffered extensive damage to its archives and collections, losing thousands of books, manuscripts, maps and photographs. The total cost of the damage was estimated at £12 million. continued in next post...

Thread: Interference fit bearing sleeve
13/07/2023 11:56:28

Sorry, but I'm confused. Why is it necessary to do anything to the shaft? - I thought the requirement was to permanently fit a new phosphor bronze sleeve to it, so why are we talking about hardening it?

Thread: Herringbone Gear
11/07/2023 07:39:15

Bill: The gear was 3D printed. It's about 50mm in diameter and 12mm thick. It was printed all at once and is impossible to disassemble.

10/07/2023 17:04:06

Here's a photo of a herringbone epicyclic gear - all the gears, sun, planets, and annular are all herringbone, and it works fine.

herringbone epicyclic gear.jpg

Thread: windows file explorer question
04/07/2023 09:23:03

Gerry: Have you tried the Everthing program I suggested? If your file is anywhere, Everything will find it for you. It's small, free, and very fast. What is there to lose?

02/07/2023 11:28:33

I installed a rather useful search program that is especially useful for finding files that don't appear where I thought they should be. It's called Everthing. Its free and can be downloaded from HERE

Unlike the File Manager search facility, it's just about instant - no waiting for results at all. Give it a try, you will be surprised at how efficient it is.

Thread: What keys for an old calculator.
27/06/2023 07:43:26

Thank-you HP. I'd never heard of INTERNET ARCHIVE before and had spent quite a lot of time fruitlessly searching for the manual. You've made my day.

26/06/2023 15:29:53

I have a rather ancient Sharp EL-545 electronic calculator, but lost the manual many years ago.

Sometimes it enters a mode that doesn't show any decimal digits, so that root2 is displayed as 1, rather than 1.414213... etc. When that happens I can't find a way to turn that mode off.

Can anybody help please?

Thread: 30 Int to Morse No. 2 adaptor
16/06/2023 15:53:26

Yup! I was wrong.

16/06/2023 13:15:10

I'm confused.

I thought the OP wanted an adaptor to allow a tool with a male MT drive to fit into an INT30 female socket. In other words, an adaptor that fits an INT30 socket that will accept an MT taper tool. The suggestions appear to reference adaptors that work the other way round - to allow an INT30 tool to fit an MT socket.

Am I wrong?

Thread: Welding a plain bearing
30/05/2023 17:49:11

I'm being thick here. On your diagram I don't know what you want to weld to what.

Thread: Help Please: Top-Slide Angle Setting.
29/05/2023 11:07:19

You could try using a DTI with an elephant foot tip.

Thread: ZWCAD
23/05/2023 16:22:46

Since nobody has answered (yet), I haven't tried it and have no intension of doing so. I'll give my views based solely on ZWSoft's website.

It seems to have a very cumbersome user interface that provides very little to justify the prices I saw. The sketching environments for all the parametric CAD systems I've tried provide far superior facilities to the non-parametric sketching of ZWCAD. Once you've tried parametric CAD you'll never want anything else.

As I've mentioned in other posts, ALL CAD systems have a steep leaning curve, so don't waste your time on learning a non-parametric CAD system. YMMV

Thread: An interesting teardown …
21/05/2023 15:15:32

I'm with S.O.D on this. I use F360 and use a SpaceMouse with my left hand and a Logitech M185 with my right.

Although the SpaceMouse is used only for CAD it is a great benefit with assemblies and complex models.

Thread: 4 digit 7 segment LED display differences
20/05/2023 11:42:04

I tried the AI search engine of Bing, and asked what'#s the difference between modules 5461AG and 5641AG, and got the following response...

According to the web search results, both 5461AG and 5641AG are part numbers for 4-digit 7-segment LED display modules. However, they seem to have different pinouts and wiring schemes. For example, according to the DFRobot1, the 5461AG module is used for evaluation of the KYX-5461AG display, which has the following pinout:

Pin Function
1 Segment E
2 Segment D
3 Decimal point
4 Segment C
5 Segment G
6 Digit 4
7 Segment B
8 Digit 3
9 Digit 2
10 Segment F
11 Segment A
12 Digit 1

According to a forum post on Model Engineer2, the 5641AG module has a different pinout, which is:

Pin Function
1 Segment E
2 Segment D
3 Decimal point
4 Segment C
5 Segment G
6 Digit 4
7 Segment B
8 Digit 3
9 Digit 2
10 Digit 1
11 Segment A
12 Segment F
As you can see, the pins for segment F and digit 1 are swapped between the two modules.
This means that you cannot use them interchangeably without modifying the wiring or the code.
You should use the module that matches your device and application.

Thread: Android CAD application
19/05/2023 15:00:45

F360 has (had?) an app for Android phones. I was able to demonstrate models I'd created on the grown-up version without problems, but I haven't used it for a year or so.

Thread: Oh dear - not quite right - again!
17/05/2023 12:36:07

Commas can make sense of sentences that are just gibberish without them.

Make sense of this...

Smith where Jones had had had had had had had had had had had the examiner's approval.

Smith where Jones had had had, had had had had, had had had had the examiner's approval.

Quotation marks makes it even clearer.

Smith where Jones had had 'had', had had 'had had', 'had had' had had the examiner's approval.

Thread: Alibre - A First Attempt
17/05/2023 12:17:50

For what it's worth, F360, even the free version, will do text on paths as well as in boxes. The paths can be straight, circular, or splines. There's no kerning, but letter spacing can be adjusted. Typeface and size can be adjusted.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate