By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for The Merry Miller

Here is a list of all the postings The Merry Miller has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Setting odd leg calipers
27/07/2012 15:43:53

You'll have fun doing that if your stock is 50mm wide and you want to scribe a line 10mm from the datum edge.

Len. P.

Thread: Lathe problem
27/07/2012 15:35:14

Dias,

That's the technique and the process that I used in the 1950's in the fitters shop.

Every machine was driven from the lineshafting up on the ceiling.

The cleaning with a knife was carried out without stopping the drive belts, so much for H&S, there wasn't any in those days.

Len. P.

Edited By The Merry Miller on 27/07/2012 15:37:21

Edited By The Merry Miller on 27/07/2012 15:37:58

Thread: Low cost rev counter and cutting speed display
13/07/2012 15:04:34

Couldn't agree more Bazyle, you can't beat the good old ones' (well you can sometimes)

Just won this Starrett tacho on E-bay, god was the bidding fierce.

I eventually swept away the rival bidders when I went for the kill and bid 99p (yes, 99 pence) they had no answer to that bless'm.

I'll tidy it up a bit and try it out later before I buy a Laser one!

starrett tacho.jpg

Len. P.

Thread: Link belt on Myford
12/07/2012 19:59:35

Bricky,

Are you absolutely sure you were not fitting an A section belt to a Z section pulley, it sounds like it to me?

Incidentally the direction of rotation of the belt (in the absence of any arrows) is shown on the link below from the Fenner website.

**LINK**

Len. P.

12/07/2012 11:03:12

Incidentally, there is a Youtube video showing how to install Fenner link belts, just google youtube fenner belts or something!!

Also on this **LINK** you will find written instructions (eventually).

Len. P.

12/07/2012 10:39:04

Morning all,

I recently fitted a genuine Fenner link belt from the motor to the countershaft on my ML-7R.

This part of the drive is Z section profile. Never had any problems with it.

Bear in mind that the drive pulleys between the countershaft and lathe spindle are A section profile and not Z section profile!!!. (on my machine anyway, 1984 model.)

These belts are obtainable from **LINK** and are about half the price of **LINK**.

To end, my gut feeling would be to put a normal vee belt on the lathe spindle pulleys.

It does take a while for the link belts to settle down as you may imagine and you may then have to remove another link.

Len. P.

Thread: How small???
01/07/2012 21:09:01

Shown earlier wasn't shown earlier at all it was on Bogs' link,

http://www.craftsmanshipmuseum.com/images/Iqbal22.JPG

Sorry about that.

Len.P.

Edited By The Merry Miller on 01/07/2012 21:09:57

01/07/2012 20:15:55

Just been looking at Iqbal's efforts, incredible stuff he has produced.

The working "thumbnail" engine shown earlier weighs only 1.72 grams.

I'm not certain about his claim (on the Sherline/craftsman website) that he produced a working tiny model lathe with chucks, gears and the whole shebang in two weeks though, even I couldn't manage thatsad

Len. P.

30/06/2012 21:44:26

That looks impressive John, I would love to see a few more views.

Len.

30/06/2012 19:23:04

Evening all,

Interesting browsing on "GS Supplies" website in the latest MEW, to come across the tinest of tiny model railways.

I suppose some of you loco fiends would have already seen this 1:450 gear but with a track pitch/width of 3mm , how small is that?

Apparently it's powered by 4.5v motors (using no doubt 3 x 1.5v AAAAAAAAAA Duracells)

That brings me to my question.

What would be the smallest size of steam engine cylinder that could practically be built and still shown to be working? Has anybody been there yet? (No prizes this time, or next time come to that!!)

Going back to batteries, have you seen the latest paint on batteries being developed. Check this link out **LINK**

Len. P.

P.S. This is the link for a more adult explanation http://news.rice.edu/2012/06/28/rice-researchers-develop-paintable-battery-2/

Edited By The Merry Miller on 30/06/2012 19:34:45

Thread: Laser Tachometer
30/06/2012 13:42:18

Thanks for your input Keith,

Les, does your Tacho have an on-off switch?

Len. P.

29/06/2012 14:11:38

Hi Les,

Was your tacho anything like the 2 in 1 version seen below. (on e-bay for about £14.50)

Len. P.

2 in 1 tacho.jpg

29/06/2012 10:57:59

Morning all,

Has any member purchased a tacho similar to the one in the image below (from e-bay I might add).

If so, I'd appreciate comments on it positive or otherwise.

Len. P.

laser tacho.jpg

Thread: Filing
20/06/2012 20:13:03

I remember the first exercise given to us new intake of apprentices in September, 1953 at Bankside Power Station.

"Here we are lads", said one of our instructors,"we are now each going to make a pair of firm joint outside calipers"

With that he gave us all a piece of 1" x 1/8" black mild steel.

" I want both arms to be 0.625" thick to within .001" he said"

We had to form the curves first of all in the forge and then proceded to file and file and file but we got there in the end with rather sore hands.

It was like being punished for being good boys but it was an exercise worth learning for the worse ones to come later on in life.

We had a student apprentice in our intake who was 18 years old. He could do almost everything blindfolded and his work was always spot on, how we envied him.

Len. P.

Thread: Hand scraping
18/06/2012 21:33:43

I have the same problem as Maurice (three black squares I mean!!)

Len. P.

Thread: Harrison M300 Work Light
16/06/2012 12:03:34

The lamps that Russell highlighted are available from "Hombase" for £5.99 each.

I have two, one either side of my milling machine spindle.

The best lamp I have is the Vertex 50W Halogen, I think I bought it from RDG Tools. This is fitted above the Myford lathe.

See link below.

Len. P.

**LINK**

Thread: Better Photos
13/06/2012 17:11:06

Welcome to the Olympus E510 club Kwil, nice to see another member whose got tastesmile

Len. P.

Thread: Android App for Tablets
29/05/2012 20:10:09

David, the latest Ipad3 is absolutely brilliant for reading books especially because it has a very high resolution screen.

Thats one of the reasons why it is touted as the best tablet in the world at the moment, knocks all the other tablets into a cocked hat!!

if you are going to get one (perhaps on expenses?) make sure it is Ipad 3 not Ipad 2, that has crap resolution like the other unmentionable tablets with the Android thingy.wink

Len

29/05/2012 16:08:55

Works on the Ipad, can also read all the digital archive as well.

Len.

Thread: Tool angle terminology
28/05/2012 20:46:48

David, here is an extract from my apprentice bible "Engineering Workshop Data" published in 1956 by Caxton.

Hope it helps.

Len.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate