By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for The Merry Miller

Here is a list of all the postings The Merry Miller has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Tilting Table for mill or drill
28/07/2014 09:12:55

Thanks for all of your comments peeps.

I think I will make the 0-90 degs type, I can see the advantages quite clearly now over the +/- 45 degs version.

Thanks again for your help.

Len. P.

27/07/2014 19:21:36

Thanks for the replies lads.

Frank, I'd be interested to know from whom you purchased your table and what the cost was?

If you would rather not embarrass any company you could perhaps sent me a PM with the info.

Len.P.

P.S. Thanks or getting rid of the smiley Jason.

27/07/2014 16:56:42

Early evening all,

Has any member had any experience of the type of tilting table similar to the Arc-Euro version (5"x7" )

Any comments would be appreciated.

Len. P.

P.S. can't get rid of the smiley!!!!

I can, J

Edited By The Merry Miller on 27/07/2014 17:01:19

Edited By JasonB on 27/07/2014 17:02:29

Thread: Drill Press Options
21/07/2014 19:22:33

Don't forget the Meddings progress drills.

Bought a MK 2 from e-bay last year in very good condition apart from a little surface rust, for just over £200.

This one had a MT2.

The Meddings people are also very helpful to deal with.

a small meddings 4.jpg

The one below I didn't win sadly.

blue meddings.jpg

Edited By The Merry Miller on 21/07/2014 19:26:13

Thread: Top Slide Lock
30/05/2014 15:07:45

Further to the above,

Prior to me carrying out the mod. I noticed that the gib strip had only two dimples for the gib screws but adjustment was applied with four screws!!

Does anybody know if Myford just ran out of dimples or was there an ulterior motive?

Len.

Thread: High Grade Aluminium Supplies
02/05/2014 20:15:14

As a matter of interest for all concerned:

Up to 6mm (excluding foil or shim) is designated "Sheet"

Above 6mm is designated "Plate"

Len.P

Thread: Antique oil can
29/04/2014 19:41:03

Thanks for that info Chris.

I followed up the name but the company went out of business in 1982, shame.

It was known as the "walnut whip" oil can apparently.

They seem to be collectors items nowadays.

The one pint version went for £194 on e-bay last year but it was in good condition.

One of the long spout versions was what was supplied to us apprentices in the 1950's.

Len.

29/04/2014 16:43:39

Hi folks,

The ancient oilcan I have in my possession dates prewar and even perhaps further.

My GG Grandad and my G Grandad were engine-wrights and steam engine builders in the middle to late1800's (still got some of their CAD drawings) and wouldn't it be fantastic if it had actually belonged to one of them (very doubtful though)

But they probably used oil by the bucketful.

Anyway back to the oilcan.

Pictures are below.

The spout is brass with about a 1/32"dia hole straight through, no valve.

It's about 3" dia and 3" high and formed from tin-plate although there are only traces left of the plating.

It has the normal diaphragm at the base for pumping the oil out.

The tin-plate has a very unusual spiral forming embossed on it.

Note the letter K also embossed on it under which is "No. 74" also embossed.

If anybody can throw any light on it's provenance I would be delighted.

I myself believe it is a Webley onewink

Len.P

oc 2.jpg

oc3.jpg

oc5.jpg

Thread: Computers
25/03/2014 16:11:04

Norman,

Sorry to put a downer on your secret ambition (only joking) to own a Mac.

If you care to look at the link below from PC Advisor you will be enlightened as to the reasons why you shouldn'twink and should stick to a PC.

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/videos/3493092/5-reasons-why-pcs-are-better-than-macs-mac-vs-windows-pc--which-is-best/

Len.P.

Thread: Storage - How to?
22/03/2014 16:34:49

Son-in Law gave me this Waterloo tool chest (empty of course) recently and I am in the process of stocking it up.

What I did find was that three small plastic compartmentalized boxes ( ten compartments in each box) fit in the shelves, comfortably side by side. They are obtainable from CPC for about 99p each.

These will accommodate most of my milling cutters without fear of cutting edges getting damaged.

Len. P.

P.S. Haven't finished the labeling yet.

p3220020.jpg

p3220021.jpg

p3220022.jpg

p3220023.jpg

Thread: Optical centre punch.
05/03/2014 16:16:54

Graham,

I purchased mine, I think, off ebay a couple of years ago, I honestly can't remember the exact price. I think it may have been around £30.

Ebay have sold one recently for about £20, another went for about £40.

There has been discussions on this forum before, can I suggest you do a search, other forum members may have more pricing and location info.

Len.

P.S. if you go onto their website (link below) you can purchase direct from them, no doubt once you come down from the ceilingsmile o

http://www.dankroy.co.uk/ocp.htm

Edited By The Merry Miller on 05/03/2014 16:21:28

05/03/2014 15:02:40

Hi Rik,

I went for the "Dankroy" version not only because it was made in England but was a good online price also.

I have not compared it with any others, didn't have to as it was made in England wink 2

P.S. It also comes in a well made little hinged case.

Len.

Thread: 101 things to do with an Adept Lathe
02/03/2014 16:08:28

You seem to be quite Adept at blue sky thinking John.

Len.

Thread: Calliper knurling tool ......
26/02/2014 20:28:26

Evening Graham,

If it's not too much trouble could you possibly send me pdf's of the drawings.

I'll pm you my e-mail address.

Thank you in advance.

Len.

Thread: dro encoders
31/01/2014 15:20:17

Geoff,

Sorry for nor replying sooner about the lamps on my mill.

The ones fitted either side of the vertical head are 20w 12v halogen with flexible necks, clamp type base and obviously their own PSU's.

Homebase were having a sale sometime last year and I bought four for £6 each.

Len.

28/01/2014 21:42:36

Peter.

I carried out the mods to ensure I didn't lose any of the functionality so yes power feed is still operational and the stops are still working and fully adjustable.

I had to machine part of each stop to ensure they didn't clout the spacers that the X axis scale is fitted to.

Tomorrow , if I have time, I will take some more pictures and annotate where necessary with dimensions.

Len.

28/01/2014 13:01:08

Geoff,

I don't know where the LED lamp with tripod came from but I've just added an album showing the attachment of my lamp setup for the vertical DRO.

Paul,

I've had no problems at all with the display.

Len,

28/01/2014 09:58:13

Morning Paul,

Below is the link to the two axis display I have installed, again from Allendale.

Also you will notice on the vertical head the DRO device is one of their caliper style readouts suitably modified.

I have added an LED book light just in front to enhance the display.

http://www.machine-dro.co.uk/digital-readout-systems-dro-pc-magnetic-glass-linear-scales/sds6-2v-universal-display-console-2-axis-display.html

Len. P.

27/01/2014 20:47:40

Evening Paul,

I converted my Senior M1 a while back.

If you look at my photo album on the conversion you might get some ideas.

I used Allendale (Machine -DRO) glass scales and adapted the machine to suit.

Len. P.

Thread: Open thoughts
17/01/2014 14:12:49

More food for thought.

Professional registration in the UK

UK legislation is generally 'permissive' and, as such, the title engineer is not protected by law therefore anyone can call themselves an engineer or professional engineer or registered engineer and many semi-skilled and unskilled trades adopt this title. However the 'professional' titles awarded by the Engineering Council UK are protected by law. Registration as a chartered, and incorporated engineers or as engineering technicians is voluntary, and candidates are required to demonstrate a high standard of professional competence acquired through education, training and responsible experience in order to register. There are four categories of registration:

Assessment for registration is typically carried out on Engineering Council's behalf by a Licensed Member institution.

The Engineering Technician (EngTech) may obtain the Licentiateship (with post nominals LCGI) a City & Guilds Award comparable to a Level 4 qualification. The Incorporated Engineer (IEng) may obtain the Graduateship (GCGI) in Engineering, comparable to a Level 6 qualification. The Chartered Engineer (CEng) may obtain the Membership (MCGI) in Engineering, comparable to a Level 7 qualification.

Hmmmmmm

Len. P.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate