By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Jens Eirik Skogstad

Here is a list of all the postings Jens Eirik Skogstad has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Cast iron instead bronce in D valve?
21/12/2019 15:59:03

Phil, thanks..  

When I bought the first Stuart steam engine, I was aware that the cylinder / piston was made of cast iron and can rust together. Stuart steam engines are expensive and must be taken good care of. Cannot be compared to toy steamers such as Mamod, Wilesco.

Edited By Jens Eirik Skogstad on 21/12/2019 15:59:56

Thread: Model Turbines
21/12/2019 13:30:27

Although the horsepower is not high, the horsepower / torque will increase at the reduced speed via the gearbox.See at my steam turbine in this link..

Model steam turbine with 79 mm 4 blade propeller. **LINK**

Model steam turbine with Graupner 65 mm 2 blade propeller (in fault rotation direction)  **LINK**

Edited By Jens Eirik Skogstad on 21/12/2019 13:32:01

Thread: Cast iron instead bronce in D valve?
21/12/2019 13:22:19

Phil P,..

I use preservative oil. The steam engine is blown clean for condensed water with compressed air with both drainage taps open and then close the drainage taps so that the steam chest is free from condensation water. Then I add preservative oil and blow through the steam engine as it spreads preservative oil everywhere inside the steam engine. Haven't had rust in the Stuart steam engines.

21/12/2019 10:41:55

Good to hear, then i begin to create the D valves of cast iron.

The old cylinder block is repaired after all holes who was misaligned. I used the plugs of cast iron + silver solder without problem. Same with sole plate where all holes are plugged with bronce plug and silver soldered due misaligned holes. I made 2 new steam chests and cover for steam chests of old brake disc (cast iron).

21/12/2019 09:37:17

Hi folks, is it possible to use cast iron instead bronce when i am making the D valve for steam engine?

Also i am fix the Stuart compound steam engine with lack of parts and misaligned drill holes etc. (bad work of former owner).

Merry Christmas to all folks.

Thread: Stuart steam boiler HB4 with roaring chimney..
01/11/2019 13:49:57

I got the message from Stuart Steam models around 4 hour after:

"If the burner is working correctly you should hear a gentle roar from the boiler, you can get various noises depending on how the jet is set up.

Here's how to get the correct burner set up.

Place the burner in the boiler, Start with the jet holder fully pushed into burner, turn the gas on fully and light the gas at the chimney, you should get a flame out of the chimney, then slowly lift the jet holder up from its bottom position in very small increments, fractions of a millimetre at a time, it will get to a point where the flame will disappear inside the chimney and you will hear a slight roar from the boiler, It can be quite quiet so don’t think the flame has got out, by carefully placing your hand above the chimney, without burning yourself you will be able to feel the heat still rising from the chimney, This will be just about the optimum position for the burner, If you go to far you will hear a war war sound, at this point if you push the jet holder down very slightly again this will be the right place for the burner. As the pressure in the gas cylinder decreases you may need to adjust the jet further."

I tried as shown here, but weak heat from burner , do not boil water fast contra consumption of steam.

Who are pleasant to sail steam tugboat with "Pulsejet" to keep boiler heat?frown

01/11/2019 10:10:54

Here is the movie of the noisy boiler..

01/11/2019 05:59:03
Posted by Brian Sweeting on 01/11/2019 00:13:40:

Sounds to me that the burner is not operating correctly, the flame is burning somewhere away from the burner itself.

What gas are you using, is there good airflow?

I am using butan/propan gas mix in cardridge Airflow is entering via vent hole at ceramic burnes as you can see picture of Stuart boiler HB4 in this link. No secondary air vent.

**LINK**

31/10/2019 20:58:22

Still not answer?? When i lit the burner it burn a nice red glowing ceramic and burn silent. When the burner are in the furnace, there is problem where noise came from burner after some minutes silent burning. There is hot exhaust from chimney with silent burning, after some minutes suddenly it came noise from burner and a bit smoke from chimney + weak hot. Is it common problem in Stuart boiler HB4 with ceramic burner without secondar air?

29/10/2019 17:58:31

Hi, i bought the new Stuart steam boiler HB4. When i ignited the gas via chimney. A bit later it begin to roaring from the chimney as i can hear there and it feel weak hot from chimney. Then i shut the gas valve quickly since i am afraid if some is wrong there in the ceramic burner. I am deaf and can hear roaring then i think it's so high noise there when my ear is near chimney ( i has 80 dB in left ear and 120 db in right ear). There is no instruction how to set the placement of the gas orifice in right place to get effective burning without roaring from burner.

What can i do if there is roaring from chimney? Increase gas pressure or replace gas orifice in right position?

Edited By Jens Eirik Skogstad on 29/10/2019 17:59:01

Thread: my knowledge of steel needs improving
20/08/2019 15:48:32

Not only does turning the steel easy to turn in a lathe, it also becomes the choice of the right turning tool for a particular steel with / without alloy and the hardness of steel when we think of cutting angle in the turning tool.
The choice of steel depends on whether the steel is tough, hardened or alloy depends on what you are going to use the steel for, for example, the chassis in the locomotive must be tough to be able to carry the weight or tools must be hardened to withstand wear. When choosing steel, follow the drawing which steel is recommended for it to last a long time in the machine or resist cracking, we choose one that is tough. There is also combined by both parts hard surface against wear and toughness in the steel against cracking as solidified steel is fragile to example in the crankshaft or cam shaft (rare used in own produced model engine due low load/wear).

There are many different codes depending on which supplier produces the closest / same quality steel. In the internet or in the catalog for steel there is listed in a table of various codes corresponding to the steel quality you are looking for.

Thread: Digital calipers made in same factory?
15/08/2019 20:32:17

Compare the CE marking and learn out which of them is real or fake as here.. Real CE vs fake CE..

Thread: Should I begin with mild steel on lathe?
15/08/2019 20:04:16

Hi, not just what material is easy to cut on lathe etc .. I read through the comments, nothing written a word about the cutting angles of lathe tools. The cutting angles are equally important when cutting a particular material with good results.

Read this link..

**LINK**

Thread: A depthing tool and escape wheel
11/06/2019 20:40:31

Michael,.. thanks, there was very well information to check the hole is in same angle with two disc when turn the disc and reverse disc etc.. thumbs up

11/06/2019 10:17:23

I has Vernier on round rotating table, then I can create the dividing disc and attached on the rear spindle on the Boley watchmaker lathe. First I must check the indexing in the indexing head is correct in divisions in the correct angle/distance between each hole on the test disc. I can't be sure it's my fault under operation or fault with divisions in the indexing head.

10/06/2019 11:01:42

Hi folks!

Can i use the deepthing tool to check the escape wheel and anchor to check the deept and tooth on escape wheel is in correct angle when the pallets do not hit one of the teeth?

I maked the new Graham escape wheel who are 18 mm and 25 teeth and learned out the pallets hit 2 teeth in same time, the other teeth is ok. The angle is not correct in the teeth. I used the indexing head to make the escape wheel. Not easy to make the small escape wheel with big indexing head.

I has not 25 teeth in the pulley at Boley watchmaker lathe.

Do you have idea to make precise indexed 25 teeth escape wheel and how to check the angle/division is correct?

Thread: 1950/60 car electronic rev counter
20/11/2018 21:57:40

16000 impulses,.. maybe a motorcycle tachometer? How much are the max revolution in the gauge? In case 4 cylinder 4 stroke engine can i think 16000 impulses divided by 4 (camlope in the distibutor) if the wire is connected to coil will be 4000 rpm in the tachometer.

Thread: L. H. Sparey Running Centre
02/11/2018 20:59:15

The grease nipple part 6 is not strictly necessary since the grease last very well in the rotating centre tool. The treaded hole where you added grease nipple is to hold the rotating center with the bolt while you are turning 60 degree cone on rotating centre who are new without 60 degree cone or turn the new 60 degree cone if the cone is damaged or worn out after a lot of years use.

Edited By Jens Eirik Skogstad on 02/11/2018 20:59:31

02/11/2018 20:51:50
Posted by not done it yet on 02/11/2018 19:33:57:

James,

Metric in this century? I note the mixed units!

Very fine for newbeginner to learn and use both metric and imperial measure tools. wink

Thread: Cox Per Wee or Tee Dee
29/10/2018 21:55:41
Posted by Andrew Tinsley on 29/10/2018 12:39:10:

Do yourself a favour and build something from 1 cc upwards as a first project. If you have never built an IC engine before, trying to replicate the smallest Coxs is a mugs game. You are most unlikely to get a good runner. You would have to use a Cox glowhead too. Small diesel engines need fits every bit as good as Cox engines. A 5 cc Sparey diesel is a good starting point for getting into IC engines.

Andrew.

As usual the model engine with long stoke and large of piston length is not difficult to lap and fit piston/cylinder due there is less leakage than a short stoke engine with short of piston length who can be difficult for a new beginner who are creating the first model engine.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate