By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for MikeK

Here is a list of all the postings MikeK has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: what tools (HSS)
10/02/2022 22:33:18

Besides being able to get a really sharp edge, grinding your own HSS tools has the advantage of being able to make one at a moment's notice without having to wait for an order to arrive.

And I second Hopper's recommendation of the Sparey book.  It's a must-have.

Edited By MikeK on 10/02/2022 22:34:16

Thread: Mill Lighting
10/02/2022 20:09:59

If interested, here's what I used to make my Jansjo bases:

jansjo mount 1.jpg

jansjo mount 2.jpg

jansjo mount 3.jpg

10/02/2022 14:49:29

I bought several of the Jansjo flexible neck lights from IKEA and made a magnetic base for each. Have one on the drill press, band saw, mill, and lathe. I do want a ring light for the mill and drill press though.

Thread: I am getting shorter - how about you.
10/02/2022 14:46:48
Posted by Clive Hartland on 10/02/2022 13:31:22:

Here's something, as you get older your ears get longer and bigger!

Cartilage keeps growing.

Thread: What happened to factory rejects?
09/02/2022 22:44:49

A recent purchase prompted this. Actually two.

I bought a 33JT/3MT arbor for my drill chuck last week. It has a threaded drawbar hole. It arrived today and I was about to mount it when I decided to check it first. Good thing I did as the hole is crooked to the point of not being able to use the drawbar because it fouls on the spindle before I can even thread it in a couple of turns.

I wondered: How is the hole NOT true to the axis??

And then I wondered: Whatever happened to factory rejects?

It used to be, when you went to a clothing store, you might find some items marked "irregular". Items known to have a problem; perhaps some sewing was off. But the items were definitely marked as such with the expected discount from the regular price.

Factory rejects of other products could also be found in speciality stores dedicated to seconds and merchandise was marked as such, like "item may have a problem...". Where it was permissable, of course. You obviously don't want a reject machine that could catch fire.

But I'm not seeing products labeled as factory rejects anymore. I don't see them in clothing stores and of the two products I purchased from this one tool vendor (US) both had problems. I suggested to them both times that they may have been factory rejects, but they said they don't sell rejects.

Yeah, but humans are still making mistakes. Factory rejects still exist and will continue to be made.

I suggest that vendors are just getting away with it by lumping it in with regular merchandise (those vendors that aren't charging top dollar) and just dealing with the complaints as part of customer service.

I purchased a set of spark plug wires off Amazon a while ago. Vendor was listed as the manufacturer. They had a manufacture defect so I contacted the the company directly. Their response was that "Oh, that company on Amazon isn't us. They just use our name. We've complained to Amazon, but they won't do anything."

My reaction: BS! They probably just use their Amazon account to dump the products they would otherwise lose money on.

Thoughts?

Thread: Beyond a mancave
09/02/2022 15:51:44

Few American women would put up with that. An angle grinder on the dining table would get a "What the #$%! is that doing here?!"

Thread: Home made lathe, only hand & power tools used.
08/02/2022 20:52:29

Yeah, impressive fabrication skills.

Thread: I am getting shorter - how about you.
08/02/2022 20:09:25

Yep, the spinal discs compress over time and lose their springiness, unfortunately. Not looking forward to it. I've only lost a little height so far, but it's only a matter of time. I do my back exercises, though, to help keep things mobile.

Thread: Beyond a mancave
08/02/2022 20:03:50

I may have to change my mind. I think what's shown in the video above is indeed a mancave and what I described is a workshop. I've never had a mancave, so I dunno. If guy friends come over we end up in the garage.

08/02/2022 14:10:43
Posted by Journeyman on 08/02/2022 10:37:20:

He speaks of a traditional 9000 sq ft home set in 110 acres. The average UK home is 656 sq ft. Bourgeois extravagance at it's best (worse) I could think of better uses for the copious wealth.

John

I don't want to start a heated discussion, especially one tangent to the thread topic...But I'm an American and even I agree that is extravagance. (Many Americans aren't taxed enough. Nobody is allowed to say it, though.)

That seems more like a museum than a mancave. I would want: metal shop, wood shop, welding shop, foundry, forge, garage for working on cars, electronics hobby area, and a small place to relax. And maybe another garage to build a boat in.

Edited By MikeK on 08/02/2022 14:11:00

Edited By MikeK on 08/02/2022 14:11:48

Thread: lathe alignment - again
07/02/2022 01:33:01

I happened to have the link for RDM:

Rollie's Dad's Method PDF

06/02/2022 22:55:24
Posted by Steve Rowbotham on 06/02/2022 22:46:01:

Thanks Mitek, did you find that relaxing the bolts resulted in acceptable alignment?

Hi Steve. Yes, I did.

06/02/2022 22:37:10

I had my lathe bolted down for a couple years before I realized it had twisted the bed. Granted, your lathe is beefier than my 7x14 mini-lathe...But might it still apply? I slacked off the bolts so that it's only preventing the lathe from sliding off the stand and no force is being applied to the bed. My stand just sits on the floor, isn't bolted down at all. Your 210kg lathe isn't going anywhere.

That's a nice lathe, by the way.  Congrats!  I hope to have one that big some day.

Edited By MikeK on 06/02/2022 22:39:44

Thread: Hand Held Magnifiers?
06/02/2022 18:58:28

Amazon has a similar one that this thread has prompted me to get:

**LINK**

Thread: Bargain workshop stand.
06/02/2022 03:02:39

Maybe. I've seen a lot of books list for ridiculous prices that won't sell.

Thread: Workshop Practice #49 worth it?
05/02/2022 21:16:54

That's what I wanted to know. Thanks!

05/02/2022 16:18:17

Does the Workshop Practice Series #49 "The Milling Machine" by Harold Hall have any new information, or is it just a rehash of his #35 "Milling: A Complete Course"?

Thread: Hand Held Magnifiers?
05/02/2022 14:40:25

Not hand held, but I like my Donegan OptiVisor. Easy on and off and frees both hands.

Thread: Installing drill chuck arbor
05/02/2022 11:52:48

Thanks, gents! Good advice.

04/02/2022 23:15:08

In a recent thread someone from ARC Euro commented that "hitting (shocking) the arbor into the chuck with blow hammer... not ideal method, but just done for the purpose of these pictures".

Which is what prompts me to ask: "Okay, what is the ideal method?"

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate