By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for MikeK

Here is a list of all the postings MikeK has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: hi from Belfast ...
24/02/2022 21:23:43
Posted by BASS 666 on 24/02/2022 11:59:58:

dscf3324.jpg

The item in the middle of the upper slot appears to be a plunger, probably to engage a gear for indexing.

Welcome, Gary. I think my mother was born in Belfast. I know her father started a restaurant there (~ WWII) that my cousins say still exists.

Mike

Thread: A Great Machinist
23/02/2022 15:01:58

Thanks for posting that, Hopper. I just started watching his videos. Man, he knows how to get it done! While I would never weld work on my lathe, he has plenty of techniques that I hope I remember for future projects. Good stuff!

Thread: Hello from Wyoming (USA)
22/02/2022 21:51:56

Welcome, Shane. Camped at Devil's Tower some years ago...very cool.

Thread: How to make this?
22/02/2022 14:15:03

Haven't done this, but if I had to do it I think I would try it by setting over the tailstock to cut the taper *and* the thread. Does that not work?

Thread: Acceptable run-out on Axminster SX1 milling machine?
20/02/2022 18:21:17

As Jason mentioned, the outside surfaces aren't registering anything. The collet holder registers against the spindle taper. And the collet registers against the holder's internal taper. You'll need a DTI to check both of those, which should show where the problem lies.

Thread: Making a Carriage stop for a lathe
20/02/2022 14:14:07

Posted by SillyOldDuffer on 20/02/2022 10:53:08:

When an internet video contain mistakes or bad practice there isn't a good way of pointing them out. Watched uncritically in hope of learning how stuff should be done, the inexperienced are liable to pick up bad habits and misconceptions. The reliability of internet videos is highly variable.

The forum is better because it's interactive. Glad Allen asked Hopper to explain because I hadn't spotted Blondihack's mistake either! If I or anyone else gets something wrong in a post it's possible for other members to question and correct it. Peer review is a powerful way of improving quality and it's rarely applied to videos.

I agree. Although I would argue that Internet videos are consistently bad with a few good ones tossed in.

I'm American and I have to say that this forum is very good. Forums dominated by my fellow Americans can be brutal. Also - and I'm guilty of this at times - they too often don't read everything...Not reading previous posts and even not fully reading the original post. It's aggravating. It seems obvious to me that people who reply *here* have thoroughly read previous posts, the original post, and make well informed replies instead of a quick "well that's dumb, just do X!"

I hope the members who shy away from posting here would develop a little thicker skin and reconsider. Although I did spot the error in the Blondihacks video I appreciate everything Hopper has said....I hope Steve does too.

Sorry for the distraction.

Mike

20/02/2022 01:44:37

Sorry, I posted that before I saw the video. I was making a joke, Steve.

Mike

20/02/2022 01:23:31
Posted by Steviegtr on 20/02/2022 00:48:15:

I love criticism.

Steve.

Get a haircut.

Thread: Metal Cleaning Using Vinegar?
20/02/2022 01:22:40

In the States we have naval jelly, which is phosphoric acid. I see Loctite still makes it, but I'll bet only old timers have heard of it. "If it rusts, throw it away and buy a new one" is the thinking.

Thread: HOW FAST - ANEMOMETER CALIBRATION ?
19/02/2022 20:03:53
Posted by Bill Davies 2 on 19/02/2022 18:09:42:

MikeK - until you find a paper copy...

The Amateur Scientist

Thanks, Bill.

Mike

19/02/2022 14:30:31
Posted by SillyOldDuffer on 19/02/2022 12:11:04:

I was looking in my copy of 'The Amateur Scientist', C L Stong, Heinneman Educational Books, 1962

That is a great book. I've been looking for a decent copy since I saw it at the library.

Thread: Crank handle method and sequence
19/02/2022 03:26:54

I know I've seen this in a book, but can't remember where. I found this, though:

**LINK**

Mike

Edited By MikeK on 19/02/2022 03:27:13

Thread: Voyager 2 is back online
18/02/2022 13:52:02

The power of Plutonium-238! It's power budget is going to determine how much longer it stays alive and chatting. I read that the RTG has around 67% of its original power output and loses about 4 watts per year. It's projected to be DOA by 2030. She was a good ship! I still have the glossy photo of Neptune that it took.

Thread: How to eject short 2MT from sleeve?
18/02/2022 00:45:36
Posted by peak4 on 17/02/2022 23:12:53:
Posted by MikeK on 17/02/2022 22:55:48:

The arbor arrived today, replacing the first one that had a mis-tapped drawbar hole. It has 0.001" runout. Not bad, I guess. But my old arbor with an M12 drawbar hole has only 0.0005" runout, so I'll be refitting it for 3/8"-16.

Still haven't thought of how I can hold it in the lathe, though.

Mike

If I'm reading your situation correctly.
Fit chuck to arbor, and grip something round in it.
Hold that stub in the lathe chuck and use a fixed steady, on the right hand end of the new arbor, for support. whilst machining.

Bill

Hi Bill. Using a fixed steady on a taper seemed like bad practice to me. That's safe? With basically point contact I assumed the steady fingers would wear quickly and allow the work to bounce around.

Mike

17/02/2022 22:55:48

The arbor arrived today, replacing the first one that had a mis-tapped drawbar hole. It has 0.001" runout. Not bad, I guess. But my old arbor with an M12 drawbar hole has only 0.0005" runout, so I'll be refitting it for 3/8"-16.

Still haven't thought of how I can hold it in the lathe, though.

Mike

Thread: Wind - trivia
17/02/2022 20:43:16

In every meeting of the Great Conspiracy they threaten me if I reveal the truth. Stick to your guns, Science Deniers!

Thread: Webb Telescope
17/02/2022 03:52:06

I have seen that video. And he does a great job explaining things. But all the things I've read and watched have left me unsatisfied in answering Sam's question. And I think I understand what he's asking, because that's how I would phrase it.

Since there isn't an object at L2, what is allowing Webb to orbit it? Scott Manley simply says that "there is a force pulling it back", but doesn't explain anything further.

I think the answer is that Earth, and maybe the Sun too, is pulling on Webb and making L2 a preferable position than "some distance away from L2". That is...If Webb wasn't in a halo orbit around L2...If it was just sitting at L2 and you pushed it away from L2 a little bit, the gravity of Earth (and Sun?) would pull it back to L2. The situation just seems weird because Webb isn't orbiting a mass.

But also, "love". That's the "L" in "L2", afterall.

17/02/2022 02:12:43

I originally thought it was "love", but I know that can't be right.

Thread: Covid
17/02/2022 01:54:44
Posted by blowlamp on 17/02/2022 01:24:29:

So if it's possible to catch the virus multiple times, would that mean you could accquire variant 2 first and then get variant 1, or even have them simultaneously because of their differing characteristics?

Martin.

Whatever one gets into your body first is, by definition, first. Yes, you could get more than one simultaneously, if you get exposed to both. One might likely be better at overwhelming your immune system than the other, though.

(A Simpsons joke here: Monty Burns was diagnosed in one episode as having every possible disease, but they perfectly cancelled each other out. hehe)

And getting one variant may give your immune system help fighting another variant later. I think the vaccine was 90-something percent effective against the original virus, but 80-something percent effective against omicron (or maybe it was delta?)...But it wasn't zero percent.

Despite what many people might think, the danger is the viral load. Having just one, individual, virus in your body isn't the harm...and wouldn't even be detectable. It's the ability to wreak havoc and reproduce "like a banshee". There's lots of nasties all over and inside your body all the time.

By the way, your own cells that reproduce "like a banshee" is called cancer. Reproducing like banshees is best left to banshees. Or ban-hees?

Thread: Webb Telescope
17/02/2022 01:23:56

There is a centrifugal force, from the JWST's speed around the Sun, pushing it further out. This is balanced against the force of gravity from the Sun and the Earth, pulling it in.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate