By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Anthony Knights

Here is a list of all the postings Anthony Knights has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: small white spots
26/08/2021 08:04:07

Hi all. The white pixels actually scroll with the green bars so it's not a faulty screen. I will have to boot the windows 10 partition and see what happens with that.

25/08/2021 18:27:03

As an experiment, I tried switching the enhanced tracking protection OFF for this site and it did not appear to make any difference. It's back on now.

25/08/2021 17:53:41

Hi Michael. Why didn't I think of that. Anyway here it is. Apologies for photo quality.spots.jpg

25/08/2021 17:15:52

Must be me. I've got everything set to "strict" security settings. I have just taken a screen shot and they are not visible on that, although they are still there when I view normally.

25/08/2021 10:01:28

Is there any reason for the small white squares and dashes in the green headers on some of the posts. Some flash on and off and others are there all the time. Has any one else noticed this or is it just me?

I am using Firefox on a Linux Ubuntu machine.

Thread: 4 jaw Independent for a 7x12
19/08/2021 11:31:37

I don't know why it's been said that the fixings of chucks on Machine Mart CL300 are different from other Seig machines. I have bought an ER25 chuck and a 4 jaw self centering chuck from Arc Euro and they fit without any modification. I also have the original 3 jaw that came with the machine as well as a 4 jaw independent which came from them. ( before I discovered the alternative suppliers )

Anthony

Thread: Knurling tool
07/08/2021 07:51:05

This is the knurling tool I made for my mini-lathe using a dedicated tool post.

knurler1.jpg

Thread: Sealant or gasket material
06/08/2021 16:18:47

I have now got to the stage with Stewart Hart's beam engine to do a final assembly and test it on compressed air. I am asking the experts here what they would suggest to use on the joints that need to be gas tight. I have checked in the workshop and found tubes of both " Red and Golden Hermetite", also a tube of "Red Hylotyte" ( which I assume is a clone of the Hermetite ). I also have a tin of "Boss White" in my plumbing kit. Does anyone here have a preference, or would they suggest something else?

Thread: Metallurgical coal
26/07/2021 09:38:57

There is the process of Direct Reduced Iron, where the ore is heated in a reducing atmosphere of Syngas ( a mixture of carbon monoxide and hydrogen ). This still produces carbon dioxide, but if adapted to use only renewable hydrogen, water vapour would result. The only problem then is producing enough green electricity to heat the process and provide the hydrogen.

Thread: Wall Chart
25/07/2021 09:28:13

As Mr Haine said, it's dead easy to make a chart in Excel for example. Here's one I made earlier. I had to convert it to a JPG to put it on here, so don't know how clearly it will print.inch to mm.jpg

Thread: Best soldering iron for electronics
19/07/2021 13:33:53

I have had a variety of soldering irons over the years. These are the ones I've ended up with.

irons.jpg

Back row left to right- Weller 60 watt temp controlled, 25 watt Antex, dead cheap 30 watt Chinese thing I bought when I was on a job and the iron I was using failed ( faulty element ).

Front row 12volt 15 watt which plugs into a car lighter socket.and finally, two catalytic irons which use lighter fuel gas. Very handy if you are stuck in the middle of nowhere with no access to a mains supply.

Thread: What Did You Do Today 2021
19/07/2021 10:04:26

Going back to the discussion about solder, I'm surprised our resident internet expert didn't dig this out.

nasa.jpg

Thread: Mobility scooter spares
18/07/2021 13:06:32
Posted by Emgee on 18/07/2021 12:03:33:

Hi Anthony

You have shown exactly why it is important to shop around if you don't want to be fleeced but it is always likely the quality may be to a better spec on some items.

Emgee

Not on the 2 scooters I've had so far. The speed controls were bog standard linear potentiometers. At the prices they are asking you would expect a gold plated IP67 device for use on a nuclear reactor.

18/07/2021 11:27:46

In another thread, I mentioned that my mobility scooter had stopped working. I have checked it out and determined that the main control box is at fault. The main PCB is horrendously complex with the compulsory microprocessor and a load of other IC's and discrete components, all surface mounted. I couldn't even start to work on it, even if I had a circuit diagram. I have trawled the internet and found a replacement, but at £400 it's a bit much as I only paid £200 for the scooter, second hand, about 8 years ago. So I have spent £300 on another second hand machine.

While visiting the various sites selling spares for mobility products, I was astounded at the rip off prices they are charging for the simplest of components. Here follows some screen grabs. The bottom of the page show prices from proper suppliers.

fuses.jpg

pots.jpg

Edited By Anthony Knights on 18/07/2021 11:29:36

Thread: GigaFactory
17/07/2021 06:38:54

I definitely have an old system. There are FUSES in the consumer unit. There is a recently installed metal housing fitted with a circuit breaker which supplies the central heating boiler. It has to be metal because circuit breakers have been known to catch fire when they fail. That's progress I suppose.

If they wanted to update my house (and all the others on the street) to 100amps, they would have to dig up the road and fit bigger supply cables which could take the load.

17/07/2021 06:28:30
Posted by Kiwi Bloke on 17/07/2021 02:30:09:

stick with Pb-containing solder, and buy a lifetime's supply, while you still can.

That's why I've just bought a 500 gram reel. I did get it from a UK supplier, but it's labelled "Made in Taiwan", so it looks like another product we don't make any more.

Thread: Brake drums/discs
16/07/2021 10:31:16

I used one for a swivel base for a bench grinder when I made my tool & cutter grinder.grind1.jpg

16/07/2021 10:21:29

Today I took delivery of a 500 gram reel of "proper" 60/40, 1.2mm cored solder. Its for use on PCB's and I don't know if it's me or my soldering irons, but I just cannot get on with the crappy lead free stuff. It looks like it may get some use straight away as this week, one of my laptops has a non working screen and yesterday my disability scooter refused to go. This might get expensive.

Thread: GigaFactory
16/07/2021 09:29:57

I think the points made several times about infrastructure are significant, especially in my case. My house, built about 1960, along with about 150 others in the street, has an electric meter rated at "MAX 40 amps". I would assume that the input fuse to the house and the supply cable are similarly rated.

meter30-6-21.jpg

Would this be able to supply electric heating + charge a car + supply the normal domestic load. I think a major up grade will be required, especially if all the other houses in the street are the same.

14/07/2021 13:02:31

Aye up Boss, I've finished with the red lead primer.

dscf0008.jpg

And a grand job you've made of it. I reckon that'll do!

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate