By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Francois Meunier

Here is a list of all the postings Francois Meunier has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Steam
26/02/2011 18:21:00
Hi
A steam engine runs on steam; with comp. air, you only have half of the pleasure. You never get an idea of the efficiency of an engine, of the water and fuel used, the effect of notching on steam expansion, steam condensation. In addition, you have to use a mechanical oiler, since a deplacement lubricator would not work with air.
The motive power is steam and the engine just uses it.

I agree that you need towels and rags, a fire extinguisher, gloves for hot valves, balm and dressing for burns and so on …
Regards
Zephyrin
Thread: French Model Engineer
20/02/2011 20:15:05

Hi

"L'Escarbille" may be the first one and for the others, but they are no others.
Look at here http://www.cav-escarbille.com/escarbille/dernier.htm
but almost exclusively devoted to live steam loco, large and small scale and linked to an association of live steam enthusiasts (C.A.V). They sometimes struggle to fill up issues. I'm not a subscriber, too redundant with ME, being near of my loco-limit.
Zephyrin
Thread: Sheared Drawbar
11/02/2011 16:06:45
hi,
for this sort of "job" I use the dremel with diamond tools to weaken and dislodge the stuck piece, but it may last for several CD...
Zephyrin
Thread: Broaching Keyway
11/02/2011 15:47:52
Hi
a crucial point in making a broaching tool is to allow sufficient room for chips, otherwise the tool bind and get jammed with disastrous results, your bore may be ruined. the best way is IMBO, as GordonW suggest, by planing in the lathe, a safe, reasonable and a 10 minutes job, including sharpening and setting the planing tool.
Zephyrin
Thread: Guidance on turning in a vertical mill
27/12/2010 12:12:11
Hi,
But I did that, see the pictures in the album
I had no other way to turn a flywheel too large for my lathe. The flywheel casting was first routhened out by plain milling on the RT, and finished by "turning".
I agree that it was for an one off job, but so funny...
Gedeon

PS : no way to insert here a direct link to an album?
Thread: Cutting Bevel Gears
27/04/2010 22:35:01

Hi

The error in the I. law book is on fig. 80, p106, the formula shows sin instead of cos. As long as the angle is near of 45°, the error is minimal, the gears would run, However for a different angle as in the case of as of a ratio 2/3  (33 and 56° the error will be too great.

The paper of B. Perkins helped me so much, it 's really a must before cutting bevel  gears.

FMM
Thread: 2 questions - threading silver steel; tightening bar in the chuck
15/04/2010 20:47:41
Hi AES,
For me, the problem does not arise from the tool post stud but from the square toolholder supplied with these chinese lathes, which bend upon tool tightening. you have to lock the tool holder with the stud nut, and then tighten the tool (not too heavily). If you want to rotate the turret for another tool, as soon as you release the nut, the turret becomes distorted and cannot stay flat anymore on the cross slide, giving that poor tool holding you mentioned. I have seen that on the minilathe but also on larger lathe eg sieg BV20 and its clones.
 I would bet that changing of toolpost will solve this problem.
Cheers
FM
Thread: cylinder for hot air engine
27/03/2010 22:35:13
Popular Science, July 1965, p106-110,176. & cover picture
27/03/2010 22:35:13

I did this model some years ago, and it worked (and is still working) a treat. This is indeed a first class plan. The diameter of the displacer and its cylinder are not so critic as long as the gap between them is kept at about 1 mm. The displacer came from a Hupmann cigar aluminium tube and I did the displacer cylinder to fit, from a part of a steel tube. It was more easy this way since displacer are much more difficult to find (I don’t smoke!) than steel tube, which fill a large part of my workshop. Look also if you can find those large felt pens with an aluminium body, generally replaced now by an ignominious plastic bodyI never had the problem you mention with cycle frame tubing. I was amazed on the opposite by the quality of this stuff, a seamless steel tube. The extremely penetrating noise during boring is frightening and it takes a long time to bore accurately about 100 mm.

About the same plan was republished (Popular Science, July 1965, p106-110,176. & cover picture), the burner being replaced by a mirror to catch sunrays.

I’m very pleased by this engine, which run at 1200 rpm on a simple alchol burner, I can post pictures or videos if you wish.

Best regards

FM

Edited By gedeon spilett on 27/03/2010 22:52:57

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate