By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Trevor Drabble

Here is a list of all the postings Trevor Drabble has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Chemistry question
19/02/2014 00:32:48

Adrian,

Appreciate we are probably only talking about small amounts of gas here , and the risk of an untold occurance is therefore low , but would still like to supplement the excellent information and guidance already offered. Think your decision to work with an open door is a most prudent one . Regarding the hydrogen , please note that IT burns with an invisible flame , which is why we were instructed to approach a suspected hydrogen fire with an outstreched roll of paper so that it would act as an indicator. With respect to the nitric oxide ( nitogen monoxide ) , please note this really can be rather naughty. It is an oxidiser , corrosive to the respiratory duct , and can also cause severe skin burns as well as eye damage . And then , just by way of a bonus, it can cause / intensify a fire. Given all these issues , I believe good and consistant ventilation to be an essential requirement. Just by way of a small additional piece of information , at work we were unusual in that we had a fully piped nitric oxide system ( arranged in 2 x 4 banks of equivalent J size cylinders) feeding into the neonatal critical care unit . For a number of reasons its use was discontinued and we reverted back to the original very small cylinders.

Trevor.

Edited By Trevor Drabble on 19/02/2014 00:47:43

Thread: 3" tube wound around 10" mandrel
08/02/2014 18:52:58

Frank,

The HDF branch of Arco do a good range of hoses , some of which may be of interest to you. Although based in Hull , they have branches around the country. They may be contacted via 01482 383280 or on [email protected] . Hope this is of use to you.

Trevor.

Thread: 3" allchin trunk guide casting
19/01/2014 00:10:57

Aaron,

I think you will find that John Rex Model Engineers on 01977 699669 or [email protected] produce the drawings and castings for the 3" Alchin.

Hope this information is of use.

Trevor.

Thread: Need a bit of Motor Advice.
07/01/2014 23:40:35

Graham,

For your information , and as an alternative to Ebay , Axminster Power tools do 2 NVR switches which you may find of interest ; part no 600072, rated up to 2Kw for £11.45 and also the other, part no 340181 , rated up to 1.5Kw for £15.95. I have had one of the latter for a number of years used for swiching a cutting-oil pump and it is sited under the front of my lathe drip tray, so far without problem.

Hope this helps.

Trevor.

Thread: Repairing cracks in cast iron
07/01/2014 23:26:25

Dougie,

Got some Sifbronze No 1 rods available and you are welcome to some foc if you think they may be of use. If so , please send me a PM and I will post.

Trevor.

Thread: K1 chuck key for a Jacobs 1A chuck
08/12/2013 18:26:51

Mike,

According to my 2008 edition of Cromwell Tools catalogue, the K1 key suits all Jacobs series 1 chucks and is Cromwells reference number S7 . The.ir order code is KEN-441-0140K , and was priced at £1.76 +VAT in 2008.

Hope this helps.

Trevor.

Thread: model carry/storage box
08/12/2013 16:31:04

Alan,

Think you may be interested in talking to Moducarry on 01744 886105 or www.moducarry.com . Saw them at a model boat show where they were showing a range of plywood based padded carrying cases. Understand they also produce custom made cases.

Thread: Vertical boiler design
04/12/2013 23:33:57

I have some excellent copies of Model Boilers and Boilermaking by Harris , at least one of which I believe is hardbacked , which I was going to put on fleabay. Will try and establish a fair price over the next couple of days and will post for your consideration.

Trevor

Thread: 3/8 BSF 1/2 long grubscrews
31/10/2013 00:49:07

Martin,

May I suggest you try your local Cromwell Tools branch who list these as Socket Set Screws with Knurled Cup Point under part number CTL - 603 - 2728A at an offer price of £60.44 + VAT per 100 in my 2008 catalogue. In the past I have found them oust helpful and understanding in supplying smaller amounts. Hope this info helps.

Thread: Winter Project
29/10/2013 21:47:48

Kevin,

Just had a look at the plans, and believe the cylinders may originally have been castings, but since they are only 1 1/4" long , they would be easy to make from solid or to fabricate. Assume the wheels were the only other castings. Hope this helps.

Trevor.

Thread: LBSC Pamela Information
28/10/2013 20:18:57

James,

Believe the plans from MHS are reference LO 73 and the articleswere in M E Vols 102 - 104 . Hope this info helps.

Regards,

Trevor.

Thread: Winter Project
28/10/2013 20:11:26

Kevin,

Perhaps you may find the 3 sheet set of plans for a G1 Diana I presently have for sale on an auction site ( item reference 200980706299 ) of passing interest.

Regards,

Trevor.

Thread: Sharpening Milling cutters
20/10/2013 19:47:43

Couple of snaps above from the Midlands Show. The Stent as refered to by Rik plus something a little different. Sorry, did not know how to add text to the pics.

Trevor

20/10/2013 19:44:54

p1000203.jpg

p1000215.jpg

Edited By Trevor Drabble on 20/10/2013 19:45:24

Thread: Can soluble cutting oil damage equipment?
15/10/2013 23:45:46

Danny,

I believe you are quite right to have some concerns. You obviously realise that the main problem with this product is that the oil never ACTUALLY combines with the water , but rather it lies in suspension, and therein is the nub of the conundrum . I also have experienced staining on the slideways on my then newly factory reconditioned Myford. The stains were quickly removed by stoning and the coolant system changed to oil , a decision I have never regreted . I do however continue to use soluable oil on my Kennedy power hacksaw where it is perfectly suitable , principaly because it is totally free draining and is regulalry maintained. Please also be aware that use of soluable oil also brings with it some very real risks associated with Legionellea , particulalry where intermittant usage is envisaged and as briefly refered to in my post of 21/01/2013 under the thread of "Cheap coolant system for a mini-mill ".

Trevor.

Thread: between the shoulder measurements for Myford Super 7 feet bolt holes
25/09/2013 22:31:54

David,

You can find all the info you want in both tabular and drawing forms by going to G&M Tools web page -- makers -- myford -- info (specs).**LINK**

Trevor.

Thread: Er collets ?
02/09/2013 16:04:28

Suggest you give Dave of D&J Workholding **LINK** a call. Very helpful chap. Most certainly not the cheapest, BUT excellent German quality options and massive range incl ER 40. They also do many types of holders including parallel and MT. Suggest better to buy than to start making.

Edited By Trevor Drabble on 02/09/2013 16:08:05

Thread: electrical bonding aluminium track
01/09/2013 23:00:52

Wherever you have an electrical joint involving aluminium, whether with a similar or dissimilar mate, then the mating surfaces of the aluminiumshould be scratched through the oxide layer to reveal the base metal and immediately a correct aluminium jointing compound should be appied before the surface oxidises again. The joint whether crimped or compressed may then be completed. Such pastes are/were available from larger electrical wholesalers, particularly those dealing with HV equipment.

Thread: Kit locomotives
25/08/2013 13:33:57

Please note that Maxitrack also produce locos in different gauges which are availble either as a kit or ready to run.

Trevor.

Thread: Drilling 316 stainless
23/08/2013 15:43:22

Suggest you look at Cromwell Tools who list suitable drills for stainless from both Guhring and Swiss+Tech, with the 1060 range of ST ones having an offer price of only £2.90ea +VAT in the 2008 catalogue.

Regards

Trevor

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate