By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Maurice

Here is a list of all the postings Maurice has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: 1in Henry Greenley 1930's
28/10/2011 23:29:40
I remember the revised series by Mr. Steel starting In the M.E. in I think 1958.
Thread: Old style colouring of engineering drawings.
27/10/2011 20:31:16
Thanks for all the feedback and links. I will try the local art shops for colour charts. When it come to the actual colouring of the drawing, I will probably save it as a jpeg, file, then open and colour it using Photoshop. This will enable me to get much more subtle colour washes than the blunt colour fill of Turbocad. Thanks again.
25/10/2011 19:49:23
I have a couple of books with examples of old drawings that have been colour washed, acording to the material used, and whether or not it is in section. They are works of art. I would like to reproduce something of the sort using CAD. I have Henry Adams' Engineering Handbook, which lists the colours. My question is, does anyone know the RGB equivalent of "Payne's grey, dark" or "Prusian blue, very pale" and so on. I can get a sort of value for some by scanning the drawings I have, but I'm not sure how well the colours have been printed, and the samples I have only use about four of the colours. A colour chart would be ideal, but I am not too hopeful of one existing. Can anyone help me please?
Thread: Steam pipe lagging
11/10/2011 20:25:21
Hi Steve
I use strips of something called interfacing that I obtained from my wife's needlework box. I cut it into half inch wide strips, and wind it round the pipes. It moulds round the bends quite nicely if it is not too wide, and tends to cling to itself. When enough has been applied, I wind a length of thick cotton around it, with about a one eighth inch pitch (at 1/12 scale), and secure it. I then paint it with white artists' acrylic paint. The engine looks very impressive by the way.
Maurice.
Thread: Holding square bar
01/10/2011 20:32:28
I made up a rotating four jaw chuck for the tailstock, using an old "Unimat" 4 jaw independant chuck, a morse taper blank, an off cut or 2 1/2" steel bar,and a couple of ball races. It was specifically to machine the connecting rod casting for the "Major" beam engine from Stuart Turner; it was a total success. Since then, it has been very useful on a number of occasions. I did see all the parts one would need to make a similar one, in one of the free tool catalogues that sometimes arive with our mgazines, I'm not sure who the supplier was, but I will try to find it if you wish,
Maurice
Thread: Model three phase alternator
09/06/2011 22:09:07
Thankyou for the replies to my question on 1900 cable colouring. It is as I suspected. I shall procede with red phases and black star point. The model will only represent a small private installation, such as a small factory, or a large private house. That is the aim; a long way to go yet!

Maurice
09/06/2011 18:57:05
Thankyou. As I suspected. That is what it shall be then.
Thanks again,

Maurice
Thread: 'Engineering' Magazine
22/03/2011 22:31:38
The Science Museum Library, South Kensington, London, also hold bound copies of "Engineering" and "The Engineer".

Coxy.
Thread: "Potty" radial engine
10/03/2011 22:29:55
Hi,
I echo Tony Case's reference to E.Westbury,s Cygnet Royal. I also have a question about Potty. Why does a steam engine need cooling fins?
Coxy.
Thread: Steam engines
13/01/2011 19:33:47
      I recall this type of engine being described in M.E. in the 60's. I believe it was called the Hall effect engine. The inventor was inspired by globules of water fizzing and moving around on a hot suface such as a stove top. If one of the droplets is hit with a hammer, forcing the water into intimate contact with the hot suface, it explodes. In the engine, the piston forced the injected water into contact with the hot cylinder head.I think the contributor was Mr. Hall himself. He proposed putting them to work in lawn mowers and similar.

Coxy
Thread: Stuart compound marine engine
02/01/2011 00:16:04
Hi Richard
         I can't help with the drawings for the Stuart engine that you are after, but I did build the twin version many years ago, and there is a slight problem that I found, that would be common to both engines.
       The holes in the four corners emerge exactly in the internal corners on the underside. When tapping the threads, the tap fouls on the internal corner of the casting, pushing it away from the perpendicular resulting in the columns splaying out. If you have not already got to this stage, I suggest that you mount the bed upside down, and run an end mill down each internal corner, to make a clearance for the crests of the tap threads. Hope this may help.

Coxy 
Thread: Mystery castings set
05/04/2010 19:43:53
Can anyone identify the set of castings in the attatched photo. They seem to be for some sort of tool. It has been suggested that they fit in jaws of a vice.
Sorry, having trouble with picture, I'll try again later

The large one bears Reg. Design No. 328449. Any suggestions would be welcome. Thankyou.

Edited By Coxy on 05/04/2010 19:48:29

Edited By Katy Purvis on 01/06/2015 16:30:46

Thread: TurboCAD 3D thread
13/03/2010 16:25:02
I think I'll try "paulthecad". It's only this feature that I have trouble with. I think the rest of TurbCAD is great, especialy the rendering of various materials.
Thanks for the advice.

Edited By Coxy on 13/03/2010 16:25:24

12/03/2010 22:25:42
Can anyone tell me how to used the 3D thread tool on TurboCAD profesional, version 12.  I follow the instructions given; sometimes I get a threaded item, often not the correct sizes, usually I cant get it draw anything. It just keeps asking for dimensions. Its driving me mad. Help!
Thread: Cylinder lubrication
24/02/2010 22:27:59
Thankyou for your advice. It confirms what I thought, I just wanted a second oppinion.
Thankyou
23/02/2010 17:24:35
Given a free choice, where is the best place to admit the cylinder oil; the steam pipe or the steam chest? If it's the steam chest, would adjacent to  the slide valve be best? I would value any advice.
Thankyou.
Thread: Adhesives
31/01/2010 15:53:37
Thanks for the feedback. I can now proceed with confidence. I knew someone would know.
30/01/2010 16:46:39
I am currently rebuilding a very old Stuart No1 engine. Among a host of other problems, the ports are badly cut, and there is a blowhole next to one edge of the exhaust port. I intend to insert a newt port face, made from cast iron, into a close fitting rectangle, milled into the existing portface of the cast iron cylinder. The new face will be slightly pround of the old face, and proportioned so that the slide valve over-runs it. I intend to seal/retain the new portface with "Araldite". Will this be suitable, or would one of the "Loctite" preparations be better? If so, which grade please?
Thread: Dore-Westbury milling machine
01/12/2009 17:51:18
Brilliant!  Thank you very much. It's as good as done.
Maurice.
30/11/2009 22:19:50
I have an old Dore -Westbury milling machine, fitted with a large compound table from another make of mill.  It works quite well, but it really needs new bearings on the spindle. How do I remove the large one near the lower end? It is a thrust bearing, and readily pulls apart, leaving the inner race in situ hard up against a collar of almost the same size. I cannot get any purchase on the bearing inner to remove it. I REALLY don't  want to have to make a new spindle! 
Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate