By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for martin perman

Here is a list of all the postings martin perman has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: oh my goodness
04/03/2022 07:40:54

Grizzly, good to know there are other cack handed types out there smiley, I've started watching the video and am envying his abilities.

Martin P

03/03/2022 22:24:40

Grizzly bear,

I'm left handed and curious as to why you mentioned it.

Martin P

Thread: Answering Machine Messages
20/02/2022 17:47:20

Very good

Thread: Heat resistant paint suitable for a camp stove?
06/02/2022 19:29:06

I bought an Optimus stove new in the 80s when I first went camping under my own steam. The 'hob' plate was painted - a goldish colour IIRC. The paint didn't last 5 minutes once the stove was lit.

I bought a stove to add to my collection of 130+ and it was a brand new one from the 70's/80's and it had a goldish colour trivet which I believe is nickel plating.

Martin P

06/02/2022 08:37:59

Being picky they were never painted, later ones were plated.

Martin P

Thread: Engineering Industrial Training Board EITB
01/02/2022 21:26:25

Mine like the others went years ago but they appear to be on Amazon.co.uk and not to badly priced.

Martin P

Edited By martin perman on 01/02/2022 21:26:58

Edited By martin perman on 01/02/2022 21:27:19

Thread: Highway Code
08/01/2022 21:32:40

Like Peter I've towed caravans and trailers most of my driving life and I've never exceeded the required speed limits but I get really wound up when in the outside lane in my car traveling at 70 being flashed by a van or car with a trailer in tow, they haven't a clue. My brother and I were on our way home back one Saturday on the M25 to Bedford with an empty four wheeled car trailer we owned in tow when for some unknown reason the tail started wagging the dog and I found myself using all three lanes going from lock to lock trying to stop the car we eventually came to a halt on the hard shoulder, my brother spotted that two artics had blocked all three lanes to give us a chance of using the road. He almost had to peel my hands off the steering wheel because I'd been gripping so tight. when we got home we checked the trailer and could find nothing wrong with it and the car was certainly capable, a 1.8GLi Cavalier. We sold the trailer as we didn't trust it anymore.

My job meant many miles traveling and at least once a month during the summer I would see wrecked caravans or jack knifed trailers. A couple of years ago on our way back up the M3 my mate and I had a tyre blow on the trailer front axle and even that made the car waggle so I'm very aware when towing, its a shame others aren't.

Martin P.

06/01/2022 13:36:54

I was chatting to a locum chemist who was working in the chemist where I work and he told me he had just passed his test, I asked him had he and his friends been taught what the pretty orange lights do on cars, he replied yes because we have to learn the theory, so I asked why do people not use them and his immediate response was they most likely do what I've done, I've passed, thrown the highway code away and drive as I wish, he is a well educated young man who just doesn't give a s**t.

Martin P

Thread: Do you "still" enjoy driving?
30/12/2021 19:23:43
Posted by Mick B1 on 30/12/2021 16:48:21:

It's true the roads are busier now and very many businesses are operating on tighter just-in-time schedules than they used to, but there are still times for an easy cruise down the motorways.

Usually between 23:00 and 04:00 on the way back from Scotland down the A1

Martin P

29/12/2021 22:36:03

In the last 20 years of working I managed 35,000 to 40,000 miles a year as a Service Engineer all over the country and sometimes in Europe, I loved driving and still do, but I was always in a hurry to get somewhere and get home, today I'm no longer in a hurry as long as I get there and as its my fuel I drive for economy.

In the last two years I didn't go near motorways until last October and my first drive on the M1 had me nervous as I got used to the driving technique I was used to when working, I couldn't believe how fast I was having to drive to be safe, I felt better on the way home and have since done the journey again recently.

Martin P

Thread: What is it please
28/12/2021 12:30:24

I have one of these from my grandfather, have used it on small work, will have to look to see who made it, does anybody know what the material is inside, i've just bought anther Mamod steam engine and boiler and was wondering what's in the burner as it looks like it needs replacing.

Martin P.

Thread: Speed Camera Flashes?
27/12/2021 12:18:29

Most speedo's are set 10% fast but be careful when using your Sat Nav as there is approx 4 second delay between you passing a speed limit sign and your Sat Nav changing to the new speed.

Martin P

Thread: Guided bus lane
24/12/2021 19:23:05

Bill,

I live in Bedfordshire and we have the same Local news as Cambridgeshire and Northamptonshire, see attached Bereaved family relieved over Cambridge busway closure - BBC News

Martin P

23/12/2021 16:53:32

Look East announced to day on the lunch time news that the Cambridge Guided Bus Lane is being temporarily closed to address safety matters after two recent deaths.

Martin P

Thread: Android GO
12/12/2021 18:55:05

I have one of these, NUU Mobile A5L N5501L - Phone Specifications & Features (whatismyphone.com) does everything I want it to, cost £70 two years ago, works with 4G, takes reasonable pictures, its my second one as I tried to teach the first how to swim smiley

Martin P

Thread: A nice find
07/12/2021 10:20:11

Its a sliding door which reveals two adjustment spanners.

Martin P

05/12/2021 18:56:02

Brian

if I had a brain I would be dangerous, never dawned on me to unscrew the barrel smiley

Martin P

05/12/2021 14:50:56

Thor, Yes I got it for what I am happy with, Johnathan, I thought 7.5" was a strange number but that's what my Vernier measured it at fully assembled with the longest rod and spacer. I couldn't remember the correct name

Martin P

05/12/2021 13:24:35

Gentlemen,

In the next village to me there are two Garden Centres and one of them has a Antique Business in one of its buildings, I usually visit about once a month as he sometimes has some old clocks that interest me, he usually has a few boxes of tools, most not of interest but my last visit had me return home with three toolmakers clamps and a few other goodies.

Yesterday I wondered along to the centre and nice set of engineers compasses and a scriber stand caught my eye, I went to haggle the price and the owner presented to me a wooden box with lids top and bottom and a carry handle at one end, opening one lid I found three micrometers 0-1, 1-2 and a 2-3, two are made by Brown & Sharpe and the third was made by Ambrose & Shardlow Sheffield, I'd never heard of this company so a search was done when I got home.

Turning the box over and opening the other lid was a Starrett Bore micrometer various extension from 2" to 7.5", after a quick haggle it was mine including the other items.

img_8771.jpg

img_8774.jpg

img_8775.jpg

Martin P

Edited By martin perman on 05/12/2021 13:25:32

Thread: Is there a demand for Whitworth tools?
04/12/2021 07:30:20

I restore and show Lister Petrol Stationary engines and the threads on these engines are all Whitworth so I use these spanners but I'm always looking for the tools with the Lister name on them, over the years I have collected a few but always looking for anything marked Lister.

Martin P

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate