By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Bill Dawes

Here is a list of all the postings Bill Dawes has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: UK battery production
15/02/2022 22:00:49

Read an interesting article the other day, it was by a Sky news correspondent.

Google... 'Humber refinery Britains best kept secret'

Bill D.

Thread: Lubricator
14/02/2022 11:27:52

Looks a nice job Paul, from pics appears to be a bit more substantial than mine which is bordering on swiss watch size components.

Thanks for info guys, I will leave it a few days to get my head round whether to remake the bits or buy one.

Hate giving up anything I am trying to make/do but we all have our limits I suppose.

Regards

Bill D.

13/02/2022 19:33:11

Hi guys.

I am attempting to finish my 5" gauge Emma Victoria but on the point of admitting defeat on the mechanical lubricator.

Made all the bits but finding it challenging to get the accuracy required, tiny pawls, springs, ratchet wheel, very fiddly,

Got it all assembled but the pawls don't engage with the ratchet wheel properly, suspect I didn't mill the teeth deep enough and/or not got the correct tooth angle.

So my question is, do you make your own or buy a proprietary one.

Bill D.

Thread: Question to North Somerset members
10/02/2022 18:27:25

I live further down the M5 but new line passes about half a mile from our house, now they are there I'm not sure about them, true they are smaller than the old lattice style but there is a lot more of them, I assume they have to be closer to reduce sag in the cables.

Looks like war of the worlds machines striding across the levels.

Local news last night reported Hinkley B station ready to be switched off in a few days so no more power until 'C' station is up and running.

Bill D.

Thread: steam fittings
21/01/2022 21:58:27

Thanks Jon.

Bill D.

19/01/2022 17:58:14

Thanks guys, does anybody use Hylomar or similar?

Bill D.

Thread: Steam raising blower
19/01/2022 17:46:17

Thanks for that Noel, am I correct in thinking that a gel battery requires a special charger? ie not a lead acid car battery charger.

Blower arrived today, excellent service from Polly.

Bill D.

19/01/2022 17:46:16

Thanks for that Noel, am I correct in thinking that a gel battery requires a special charger? ie not a lead acid car battery charger.

Blower arrived today, excellent service from Polly.

Bill D.

Thread: steam fittings
18/01/2022 19:47:54

Yes sorry I should have been more explicit, for the orientation issue screwed fittings such as a manifold or water gauge connection, the general question of gaskets is any boiler fittings screwed or flanged, from answers I guess a screwed one use copper washer, flanged - gasket material and/or sealant?

Bill D.

17/01/2022 23:14:52

Hi guys, do i need to have a washer/gasket on a boiler fitting or just some liquid gasket type of stuff (Hylomar?)

On the other hand is it permissable to use a washer/gasket to assist orientation of a fitting.

Bill D.

17/01/2022 22:45:49

Ordered one off Polly today, thay have just put some into stock.

Anyone know how many watts/amps the motors are, Polly did not know, they just test them on a small battery but I need to work out what size battery I will need unless I can find an old car battery, hoping for something a bit lighter than that though.

Bill D.

Thread: High Street dead?
15/01/2022 21:02:30

We live about 30 miles south of Bristol but not all that familiar with it.

Today however as a treat my son took us to the Souk Kitchen in North St. had a wonderful lunch there, I am a Coeliac which for the uninitiated means I cannot eat anything with gluten in it, most of their menu (Meze) was gluten free so a real treat for me. Now the main point of this post, If anyone thinks the High St. is dead pay a visit to North St. in Bristol, a veritable feast of local shops, Bars, pubs, barbers, food stores, restaurants, hardware, toys, bakers, cake shops etc.

Also went a walk around the docks area, brilliant place to go, haven't been for years so enjoyed the re-visit. There is an area called the underfall yard, still a working area with old crafts still alive and well, interestiing buildings and a hydraulic pump with a suitably impressive brick chimney (Fred Dinah would love it, RIP Fred) which I believe gives working demos on certain days.

A gastonomic and model engineering day out I would say. There will no doubt be many of our ME family that live in Bristol of course so will be very familiar with it. I can see how it is gaining a reputation amongst the young creative element going to live in Bristol, South West's version of London I think as far as housing prices are concerned though.

Bill D.

11/01/2022 10:17:40

When i first started in this ME lark I bought copies of MEW as well as ME, seeing all those exciting projects for tools, jigs, fixtures etc, but I soon realised that I would be spending all my time making things to make things without actually making anything other than things to make things!!!

Riding trolley is my next step, see my other post on Phoenix.

Bill D.

10/01/2022 22:11:25

Well guys, as I have posted before, I should be embarrassed at buying a fan, I am a semi retired engineering manager at an industrial fan and blower company!!, albeit a few hundred kw larger than our steam raising ones.

Truth is I can't be bothered, a nice cast ally one better appeals to me, have limited time to make models let alone anything else.

Polly models are helping me on this.

Thanks for replies.

Bill D.

Thread: Phoenix Locos
10/01/2022 22:03:16

Worked that time, had an email from Keith, he is calling me tomorrow.

Bill D.

10/01/2022 14:48:29

Ok thanks for that, will try again.

Bill D.

09/01/2022 22:49:23

Dave, take your point about covid and hols but this goes back several weeks.

Encouraged by experience of Baz however so will persevere although I am puzzled why my emails don't get answered, have tried on Yahoo and GMail accounts in case there was an issue with spam.

Bill D.

09/01/2022 18:32:55

My last couple of posts lacking in checking of grammar/spelling, must do better.

Bill D.

09/01/2022 18:30:41

Hi all, anyone know of a secret supplier of these, seem to be in short supply, just waiting for response of Polly and hope they might be able to help.

Assume as with most things in life they come from China.

Bill D.

Thread: Phoenix Locos
09/01/2022 18:25:43

Numerous emails have gone unanswered, phone call just rang out. Will have one more try phoning and then give up I think, All I want to do is spend my money, why is it so difficault sometimes.

Bill D.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate