By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Steve Withnell

Here is a list of all the postings Steve Withnell has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Can they be serious?
11/09/2017 21:30:34
Posted by SillyOldDuffer on 11/09/2017 11:10:56:

I see Amazon have been criticised this week. It's been noticed that they often change the price of items, perhaps as much as 260% in a year. It's suggested that the purpose is to create the impression that goods are priced competitively, when in fact, on average, they aren't.

Just another thing for buyers to check; don't assume that any vendor always offers the best deals. I expect it catches a lot of people out - very often I want things in a hurry and will cough up provided the item is not grossly overpriced.

Dave

Just install "CamelCamelCamel" add-on into your browser - when you browse an AMazon item, it will give you a price plot over the previous months.

Thread: Why do I do it?!
24/08/2017 20:15:47
Posted by Circlip on 17/11/2009 21:33:56:
"Measure twice and cut once" old adage from my mentors Tony and yes, we ALWAYS remember after the event, what a wonderful teacher hindsight is.

Just ensure you restrict your "Occurances" to materials and not Soft tissue. No matter how annoying, it's a HOBBY.

Regards Ian.

Sometimes on high value jobs, to measure twice, have a brew and read the paper, then measure again before cutting! Measure twice sometimes means you measure wrong twice...

Thread: Health and Safety shoots down entire RAF
17/08/2017 22:46:19
Posted by Lambton on 17/08/2017 16:50:15:

Neil,

The Harrier is a fifty-year-old design. The Spitfire was only a thirty-year-old design when the harrier was introduced.

Quite correct however it would be better to have Harriers than no aircraft at all on our latest and most ex[pensive carrier which will be a white elephant until the American planes become available.

Eric

The F35 (JSF) stealth capability is  reliant on BAE Systems manufacturing technologies - so they are not wholly American planes. The original consortium was Northrop, MacDac and BAesystems.

Steve

Edited By Steve Withnell on 17/08/2017 22:46:34

17/08/2017 22:39:45
Posted by Andy Carruthers on 17/08/2017 15:08:35:

Whilst we are at it, please can we have TSR2 back too

And Lighnings, the English Electric one...

When the TSR2 was cancelled, a fair few designers breathed a sigh of relief! TSR2 was not our finest hour.

Steve

17/08/2017 12:59:28

Then of course there was that privately owned Spitfire that crashed at an airshow some years back. CAA determined it had been flying on one magneto for six months or so.

H&S? I went to my Dads last weekend to demolish an old shed, so I put on my hardhat - Dad said "there is no H&S nonsense here" so I through it back into the car. Banged my head twice - "That's because you are used to wearing a hard hat instead of looking what you are doing!". Anyway, won a nice little bandsaw out of the escapade

laugh

Steve

(But I didn't find anymore SuperAdept's Neil! - but a stash of old gear boxes - if you are a Singer 9/10/Roadster rennovator 30's/40's, drop me a PM)

17/08/2017 12:50:59
Posted by Jon Gibbs on 17/08/2017 10:30:33:

"Health and Safety shoots down entire RAF" - The headline did make me laugh though. I'm not sure whether it was Ady's or a quoted one.

Last time I checked, merlin's were not powering our front line RAF defence capability wink

Not yet, but soon...

Thread: Which Bandsaw Blade should I buy to cut aluminium plate?
13/08/2017 17:28:16
Posted by Neil Wyatt on 13/08/2017 17:18:44:

Only joshing

14 tpi would be a coarse blade for a hacksaw, wouldn't it.

I think my bandsaw blade is 14tpi and I cut through 3" aluminium with it without clogging, a coarser blade might require more power to make use of the bigger gullets.

Neil

The saw doesn't have loads of power to spare, so perhaps 14TPI is the best compromise.

Steve

13/08/2017 17:02:04
Posted by Neil Wyatt on 13/08/2017 14:42:43:
Posted by Steve Withnell on 13/08/2017 14:14:14:

(I tried 30mm earlier and its happy with that too)

Doesn't that suggest a blade like the one that's already on it might be OK?

devil

Neil

It sounds like it's OK, but what is actually best? The blade that is currently fitted is 14 TPI and coming down to 10 or 6 TPI might help prevent the blade clogging?

Steve

13/08/2017 14:14:14

Thanks for that. Given that I want to cut 20mm and 30mm plate (I tried 30mm earlier and its happy with that too) then should I be thinking about 6 TPI blades? Never thought about thickness driving the TPI requirement, so every day a school day!

Steve

13/08/2017 11:25:37

I've finally acquired a little Record 3 wheel bandsaw, 'found' under a tarp at the bottom of the garden at Dad's place. Been there a few years. Just powered it up and it will eat 10mm ally plate without trouble. The blade spec is 56.5 inch blades 1/4 or 3/8 wide.

Since I want to make straight cuts, I'm assuming 3/8 wide is best, but what about TPI? The commonly available blades are 14TPI for metal cutting, but I've found a supplier that can do 24TPI (which is what I use in my handsaw for Ally).

Anything else I need to watch out for when using this Bandsaw type? It's a Record BK3, but it does look like a cheap import.

Steve

Edited By Steve Withnell on 13/08/2017 11:26:17

Thread: Manged to pull the threads on some 2.5mm holes - tapping Aluminium
19/05/2017 15:02:54

So, I had just enough clearance to drill and tap 4mm, loctited in a brass screw, skimmed flush, tapped out 2.5mm. Perfect!

What is it?  23cm Bandpass filter to stop those cell towers wiping out 23cm receive front ends!

23cm Bandpass Filter

Edited By Steve Withnell on 19/05/2017 15:09:34

16/05/2017 19:31:55

Thanks guys, out of the armchair and into the shed...

15/05/2017 21:12:34

Steve

As per title. Being a bit clumsy, I've managed to pull the threads on a couple of holes I was tapping in aluminium block - blind holes. How can I repair the damage so I can tap the holes correctly?

Thanks

Thread: The diesel controversy
04/05/2017 16:35:01

It's all bollocks really.

Steve

Thread: Even with New Tool Fever At its Height...
21/04/2017 21:59:31

Would I buy one of these...

**LINK**

Steve

Thread: Practical CNC - how to deal with drilling 2mm holes in Aluminium
10/04/2017 21:58:49

I've been thinking about buying one of those KX1's for a while now and have a couple of projects where I thought they would be great.

One of them involves drilling a lot of accurately placed 2mm holes, 10mm deep into 6062 aluminium. When I started doing this manually, the aluminium kept sticking to the drill bit, so every hole had to start by cleaning the flutes of the drill and unsticking bits of aluminium, then brushing with a bit of parafin as a cutting fluid. Drilling manually, it's possible to feel the drill getting clogged up.

Struck me, that with a little CNC, this would be a problem and rule out using a CNC. I must be doing something wrong somewhere as that manual process isn't happening on production shops!

The spindle was running at 2000rpm or thereabouts.

Steve

Edited By Steve Withnell on 10/04/2017 21:59:26

Thread: Gyroscope Build MKII
31/03/2017 09:40:30

Very nicely done!

Steve

Thread: Silver Platiing Solutions (Cyanide free)
27/03/2017 21:09:03

Here is the design programme I'm using. Changing the rod diameter does not change the Q, so I'm assuming (!!) that the rod diameter does not make a material change to the overall filter performance, so the maths isn't included in the code.

**LINK**

So far I've made a 3 pole version for 1090MHz and a 4 pole version for 1249MHz, both close to the design spec. Sounds like polishing the copper rods and applying some lacquer solves all sorts of issues!

Steve

PS: I also have the BASIC code for this calculator,  but there is a bug I can't find.  Any wants a copy let me know!

Edited By Steve Withnell on 27/03/2017 21:10:12

25/03/2017 19:45:03

This is one I made earlier, without the silver plating...

p1000867.jpg

This one has a centre frequency of 1090MHz to stick on the front of one of those SDR TV sticks, to capture aircraft ADS-B signals. (Which when the moon is in the right phase, gets uploaded to Flightradar24 and gets me a free subscription!)

Silver plating the rods should improve the filter performance, the interest is in measuring by how much.

From a hobby machine shop point of view,  I took Jason's advice and mounted the aluminium blank on the face plate of the lathe and bored out as much of the waste material as possible.  The advantage is that the chips just fall out naturally,  whereas on the mill,  you end up with the task of continually clearing out the chips.

Steve

Edited By Steve Withnell on 25/03/2017 19:47:46

25/03/2017 13:34:55

I'm looking to silver plate some copper rods as part of an RF (1.3GHz) electronics project, and while I can find formulations for electro-cleaning the rods prior to plating, I can only find one source of silver plating solution which is £35 for 250mL, but I can't find any info on its formulation - cyanide free that is.

I want to coat three rods in about 2-3 microns of pure silver as a test to see if there is any material improvement in performance over the raw copper, if there is then I'd be looking to silver plate upto 30 rods.

The coating does not need to be a bright finish, which seems to be the difficult bit, but just a nice uniform coat of pure silver.

Anyone got a formulation I could use make up to do some trial plating?

TIA

Steve

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate