By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Andy_H

Here is a list of all the postings Andy_H has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: *Oct 2023: FORUM MIGRATION TIMELINE*
04/10/2023 08:06:59
Posted by Mark Rand on 04/10/2023 00:52:27:
Posted by Andy_H on 03/10/2023 21:02:02:

Wow. This made me smile or perhaps I should say wince. If migration plans for the systems I work with involved an outage to end users of up to 7 days.... Let's just say I wouldn't still have a job! wink

Andy

Yes, but the difference is that our users (or their bosses) were paying us!

Edited By Mark Rand on 04/10/2023 00:52:56

Your reply turns my wince into an embarrassed grimace. That's a very relevant differentiator! I did realise the IT side of this site was all run on a voluntary basis.

Andy

03/10/2023 21:02:02
Posted by Darren H on 02/10/2023 11:57:28

05/10/23 8am BST – Current site to go offline and a holding page put up.

12/10/23 10am – New site online – All being well this will happen before this date.

Wow. This made me smile or perhaps I should say wince. If migration plans for the systems I work with involved an outage to end users of up to 7 days.... Let's just say I wouldn't still have a job! wink

Andy

Thread: Small (20mm 10mm bore pulley) - source of?
03/10/2023 20:00:11
Posted by noel shelley on 03/10/2023 17:09:20:

I have some alli bar 1" I think, give me dimensions I should be able to make it ? Noel.

PS I have yards of bar so I can send a spare bit as well !

Edited By noel shelley on 03/10/2023 17:19:16

Thanks for all the replies. Answering a few points raised.

Noel - I will send you a PM.

The belt size will be 6mm.

The difference between diameter and bore had occurred to me and I think the blind bore approach would be best as I freedom to position the motor accordingly.

No it doesn't have to be aluminium. I did say preferably but if pushed to explain that preference it might be difficult to come up with a good argument!

Andy

03/10/2023 16:38:58
Posted by noel shelley on 03/10/2023 15:50:58:

I take it you cannot make one ? It would be quite easy ! Noel.

I could make one, once I've got a pulley this size on the new motor to get my lathe working. I think the term is "chicken and egg" wink

Andy

03/10/2023 15:21:39

Not sure if this is the right topic - but seemed the closest match!

I need a 20mm pulley for round belts with 10mm bore (preferably aluminium). I found one on Amazon (although one reviewer said the bore was actually 8mm) and one on Aliexpress. Both reasonably priced but very long delivery time so obviously coming direct from China with all that entails.

I've spent several hours searching via Google but can find nothing from a UK supplier.

So just wondering if anyone has a "go-to" UK supplier they would use for such components - one that has evaded me in all my searching?

Andy

Thread: Chronos Small Lathe Chucks - Any first-hand experience
02/10/2023 13:58:33

In the search for a replacement chuck for my small lathe (a Flexispeed Mk 2) I am currently considering Chronos options.

I wonder if anyone has any first hand experience (including like/avoid views) of the following two chucks?

NEW- 50mm 3 Jaw Chuck ON A 2 MT or Soba 70mm 3 Jaw Scroll Chuck 14 x 1mm Thread

Andy

Thread: Gib Adjusters and the English Language!
22/09/2023 13:37:45
Posted by Mark Rand on 22/09/2023 00:06:13:

From my childhood in (King's) Lynn

Me too Mark

Andy

22/09/2023 13:34:17
Posted by Chris Pearson 1 on 22/09/2023 12:17:57:

IIRC the one near Beccles on the Norfolk/Suffolk border is pronounced locally with a hard G.

Chris - you are indeed correct. It's just down the road from me

Andy

22/09/2023 09:45:50
Posted by roy entwistle on 22/09/2023 09:16:26:

Nigel. Up north we also have Barnoldswwick pronounced Barlick and Slaithwaite pronounced Slowit

Roy

Here in Norfolk we have Happisburgh... whoever would have guessed that has to be pronounced haze-borough!

and then of course there's Menzies which is ming-iss

Andy

21/09/2023 20:24:09

Well that stirred up far more debate than I expected!

It seems I can pronounce it either way and whether my pronunciation is correct or wrong will simply depend on whose company I happen to in at that moment 😜

Andy

Thread: DROs etc
20/09/2023 21:43:05
Posted by Nigel Graham 2 on 20/09/2023 21:33:29:

As for "serious accuracy", although a DRO will read to the tiddliest bit of thous or mm, the accuracy (or is it precisyon?) and quality of the work it is still very much up to the operator! The display is an aid to your accuracy, not an accuracy-maker itself.

Excellent point: the DRO (or other measurement system) provide precision but the operator achieves accuracy which is a pretty binary outcome: it's either within the limits of required tolerances or it isn't.

Thread: Gib Adjusters and the English Language!
20/09/2023 21:29:24

A really trivial one this - the sort of thing best pondered over a cup of tea.

I was recently thinking about gib strips / gib adjusters. In particular the correct pronunciation.

Is it gib as in "gibbon" or is it jib as in, well.... jib.

So reasonable assumption, Google will quickly settle that for me. Yeah right! Looked at two online dictionaries with audio pronunciation. The first dictionary gave me my second pronunciation option and the second dictionary produced the other option.

So, I just have to ask: what is the generally accepted pronunciation?

I know, gives the impression I have to much time on my hands. Not the case, honestly 🙄 some things just tweak my curiosity!

Andy

Thread: DROs etc
20/09/2023 21:09:39

I certainly don't consider myself any sort of expert on this matter, nor do I have DROs on my small lathe (although I have, quite a few years back used a larger machine that had them fitted). But just a personal view of the topic which are certainly not intended to disagree with the "pro camp" - just offered as a different perspective.

It's now possible to use AI to write a letter. Before that using a computer with voice recognition. Before that a word processor, an electric typewriter, a manual typewriter. And, before all of those things - a pen. In other words, none of that technology is essential in order to write a letter. It just makes the job (arguably, some might say) easier or, more to the point, quicker.

I think the point is it's easy to be drawn into the mindset that add-ons, gadgets, gizmos (to generalise) are essential and indespenible. I suppose in some cases "technology" (again generalising) can help in plugging a gap in skill or ability. But generally are not essential.

The first micrometer was invented in 1772. I'm not sure when DROs were first introduced but let's assume, for the sake of illustration, the 1980's. Just look at what was produced as a result of skill and ingenuity in that intervening period.

Another reason for my views here is my underlying beleif that engineering is inherently about ingenuity or "finding a way". This was excellently summed up by the first really knowledgeable engineer I ever met (actually one of my lecturers many years ago) who advised: an engineer is a person who can do for a bob what any fool can do for a quid. That principle in pretty ingrained in the way I approach challenges.

Andy

Thread: Advice Wanted - On obtaining help...
18/09/2023 16:25:40
Posted by Howard Lewis on 18/09/2023 12:54:54:

If you want replacement chucks, why not make an adaptor?......

It seems my post has probably come across as, at best very naive and at worst careless and completely lacking any forethought!

In fact I've been pondering the problem for a few weeks and done quite a bit of research in various places, these forums included, where others have encountered the sample "problem" with exactly the same lathe (and its close cousins).

Many options have been considered by others (with lots of input from forum members). I obviously won't repeat all the options and the arguments for discounting them (including a spindle adapter) here but in summary there have been two solutions used by others that stand out:

1) Manufacture a new spindle.

2) Bore out the chuck and convert, and insert a bush threaded to suit the existing spindle (effectively an adapter in the chuck rather than on the spindle). Down side of this of course is it has to be repeated for each check or accessory to be mounted on the spindle.

and actually, none of these solutions is feasible without a usable chuck to hold the work in. That, you might say, is the chicken-and-egg situation I have here wink

Andy

18/09/2023 10:32:35
Posted by Redsetter on 18/09/2023 09:36:25:

Andy,

With respect, I think you will find that the Flexispeed is made to Imperial dimensions so you should stick with those, apart from your chosen nose thread.

From your drawing, 12.8mm is a bit more than 1/2", so probably 1/2" bearings. 6.3mm is a bit less than 1/4", so probably 1/4" bore - you need to be a lot more precise than that! And what are you going to do about the worm gear?

If you can find someone to do it, best to just let them have the whole machine and tell them what you want, so that they can fit the spindle to the job rather than trying to rely on a drawing.

And it costs what it costs. It may not be difficult for a skilled person, but it will be time-consuming, so don't expect them to do it for beer money.

£200 odd for the Cowells spindle isn't unreasonable, and an accurately made one-off, starting from scratch, will probably be be more than that.

Sorry if this all sounds a bit negative, but I am not sure you are being realistic. As said- what is the actual problem with the existing spindle

There's some valid points here but, in my defence the diagram IS clearly marked as preliminary and not for production purposes. It was provided simply to provide an indication of the size of the piece and key features (to clarify some points raised in an earlier reply). The drawing also proposes what to do about the worm, gear!

As for the "beer money" point. Unfortunately, my post seems to have been misunderstood right from the outset. The purpose of the post was not originally asking for someone to offer to help (although someone has). It was instead seeking advice on how to go about requesting help and, more importantly, whether it this sort of job is considered too complex to expect anyone to help in the first place.

I fully accept the point about imperial measurements. I would do that on a final version of the drawing intended for production.

Andy

18/09/2023 10:15:21
Posted by David George 1 on 18/09/2023 07:16:08:

Andy what is wrong with original spinde. Is it beyond repair or is it just the fit between the bearings and the spindle or is this a modification to original.

David

The reason for replacement is just to change the nose thread so as to make it possible to but replacement chuchs.

Andy

15/09/2023 09:51:31
Posted by Emgee on 13/09/2023 23:15:30:

Andy

When completed put a picture of your drawing in your Photo album and perhaps some kind person may be able to help you.

Emgee

I have now produced a preliminary drawing.

I have also found a small company that claims to do small jobs at very competitive prices so I have requested a quote. I will see what comes of that.

Andy

lathespindle.jpg

15/09/2023 09:47:19
Posted by David-Clark 1 on 14/09/2023 22:32:45:

A friend of mine is going to make me a mandrel for a Super Adept. Like yours but 3/8 shaft rather than 1/2 inch. I am using a Unimat nose thread, m14 x 1.

Not a big job at all.

I too replaced a Cowell's mandrel many years ago, it cost about £110 back then, probably 20 years ago.

The only reason I am not turning it now is because I don’t have another lathe to do it on.

If you want an imperial thread on it, you could turn a new mandrel between centres on the Cowells and screwcutting it on the Cowell's itself. I don’t know if you can do a metric thread on a Cowell's but a 63-tooth change gear might help. (Approximately half of a 127-tooth gear.

Hi David - perhaps not a big job providing you have the machine to produce it on wink

The Cowell's spindle is now £195 +VAT. Wow!

On your last point - I don't actually have a Cowell's lathe.... that only came into the thread as a suggested possible replacement for the Flexispeed part.

Andy

14/09/2023 20:13:19
Posted by duncan webster on 14/09/2023 11:47:33:

The Flexispeed is a remote ancestor of the Cowells. Bit of a long shot, but the spindle might fit, and Mr Cowells will sell you one.

A good suggestion thanks.

I've already made the enquiry today and already have an answer. Although both are 0.5" it is not a suitable replacement. Although at the price I'm rather relieved it's not an option!

Andy

14/09/2023 15:11:28
Posted by Oldiron on 14/09/2023 11:36:00:

I presume by "mandrel" you mean what would normally be called the "Spindle"

Somewhat similar to this link. Spindle

regards

Yes I do.

In fact I have always referred to it as a spindle but having seen it referred to in several other posts as a mandrel used it here.

Your question got my curiosity working though wondering how the two terms differ which led me to this definition:

a usually tapered or cylindrical axle, spindle, or arbor inserted into a hole in a piece of work to support it during machining

So my take on this is that, although a mandrel can be a spindle, the distinction is that it's something used with a workpiece, whereas I was referring to the machine not a workpiece - so should have used the term spindle!

Andy

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate