By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Margaret Trelawny

Here is a list of all the postings Margaret Trelawny has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: 14.5mm end mill equivalent
18/07/2023 14:48:25

Thank you Andrew!

18/07/2023 14:34:11

Thanks Jeff and Jason - the 9/16 route would be perfect @14.29mm because that is the exact size of the tube which needs to fit into the hole.

I am making (or attempting to!) a collar - which will have a 14.29 tube sticking out of one end and a 9mm the other. The reason for using an end mill rather than a drill (on the lathe) is that the collar is only 10mm deep and a drill, with the chamfered end, will leave a cone shaped hole which is no good. With me? Hard to explain.

Another couple of questions before I embark on this madness:

1: would you recommend drilling a pilot hold before the end mill goes in? If so what size?

2: is it ok practice to use an end mill in a lathe? (Milling brass) - rather than a mill? I only have a small hobbyist mill and not sure I have a suitable collett for such a big end mill.

Thank you all - I woule be lost without this forum - you are all a wonderful resource.

Margaret

18/07/2023 13:57:53

Hello

I need a 14.5mm end mill (square cut) - but can’t find one at a suitable price (it will probably be only used once) and don’t want to pay the high cost.

could anyone advise me of the imperial equivalent of this size please? I am hopeless with engineers tables - there may be a more cost effective version more readily available in UK.

many thanks

Margaret

Thread: Safety gloves
13/07/2023 22:13:18

Frightening stories!

13/07/2023 21:33:13

Ah, ok, good points. Thank you. Those little brass splinters worry me…

I got an bad infection last year (not related to metal work) and ended up in hospital - I don’t want to go through that again!

Thanks for your help gentlemen.

13/07/2023 21:24:46

Robert - sorry, what do you mean? Wear no gloves or none are effective?

13/07/2023 21:17:16

Hello all

Could you advise me please the best gloves to wear for lathe work when working with brass. I have some Stanley workwear gloves but the small splinters get into the weave.

thank you

Margaret

Thread: Solder problems
30/06/2023 20:25:47

Richard - yes LA Plumber’s flux did the trick and it’s for a vintage puppet solenoid restoration.

Dave - the micro torch did the job perfectly. 😊

30/06/2023 15:07:39

Jason - it’s a ‘general’ solder which came in a pack. It doesn’t actually give it’s content.

30/06/2023 15:06:28

Agree Andrew. The flux was the issue. Someone suggested I try that as it worked for them

- i thought it strange but tried it.

Thanks Jason - the flux change helped the solder flow as it should.

I appreciate your time answering guys.

all the best

Margaret

30/06/2023 15:03:48

Solved it. I changed the flux to LA’s brass/steel etc flux and it worked.

sorry for the panic!

30/06/2023 13:48:34

Hello all

i am having problems soldering a brass tube to a small mild steel frame. I am using TSC A8 stainless steel flux and a small micro torch. I did a test on a small piece of tube soldered to a mild steel washer - but now when I try the same materials on the actual parts - it won’t have it. The solder seems to stick to the steel and also to the brass - but then instantly falls apart so a bond is not being made.

What am I doing wrong? Both parts are cleaned with emery then 99% isopropyl.

Is there a better flux or a particular solder you could recommend?

thanks in advance

Margaret

Thread: Washer size!
29/06/2023 18:21:42

Thanks Bill. That’s a good suggestion.

ID doesn’t matter really.

many thanks

Margaret

29/06/2023 13:09:55

Thanks Nick.

I think we may end up turning one from a piece of brass.

29/06/2023 12:26:41

Hello again everyone - I need your help again please!

I am trying to source a 13.5mm OD washer. Spalding don’t have them - can anyone suggest an imperial equivalent please?

It needs to fit snugly into a tube.

many thanks

Margaret

Thread: Identify imperial bolt size
28/06/2023 14:30:46

Bolt size update:

hi all, thanks for all your input and suggestions. I am happy to report that the 4BA bolts fitted perfectly.

Thank you everyone 👍

25/06/2023 10:29:49

4BA dome slot heads ordered. Finger’s crossed🤞 thanks everyone 🙏🏻

25/06/2023 09:43:26

Thanks Noel. I’ll order some 4BA and keep you all posted. Appreciate everyone’s help very much.

Margaret

25/06/2023 09:26:52

Thank you everyone.

the part is a puppet Undercontrol mechanism as used in tv shows and films of the era.

24/06/2023 21:01:42

Hi

I need help identifying a thread size - created in the 1960s in England. Machined into brass - we don’t want to drill/retap the piece.

An M3 bolt is slightly too small, an M4 too big. Using an online converter we purchased 6-32 UNC and 4-40 UNC but neither fit.

Appreciate it’s not much to go on but any help would be gratefully received.

thank you

Margaret

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate