By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Sonic Escape

Here is a list of all the postings Sonic Escape has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Knurling wheels misterry
05/04/2023 21:17:51

I bought one of these knurling tools that seems to be everywhere. They came with three sets of wheels. When I merged together the wheels with the largest teeth I noticed that they only partially overlap. Then I counted them and one wheel has 33 teeth and the other 34! Is this normal? What can be the purpose?

Thread: AVM MAS 140 lathe
05/04/2023 20:54:22

This is where the pin should be. It is indeed very close to the edge:

But I think there is a better way to fix the tool post. I can simply keep always one tool holder on the right side, like this:

And in the tool holder I can put some kind of L shaped piece of metal that will prevent the tool post to rotate. It can spin only in one direction anyway. And since this holding point is relatively far from the center of rotation the force will be small. It is also not such a permanent solution like drilling. How would this work?

About the contact surface, everything is oily. The cutting fluid used by previous users entered everywhere. I keep cleaning it but it still spreading. My goal is to degrease everything and to put fresh way oil only where is needed.

05/04/2023 08:47:28

I think I'll drill a blind hole for the tool post pin. I will do it on the bench drill. I measured it with a caliper and its diameter is 9.91mm. With a micrometer is 9.97mm. So a 10mm reamer should do it. I read that the hole diameter should be 0.2-0.3mm smaller for the reamer to work. Also I supposed that since it is a blind hole I will need a straight reamer.
The compound is made of cast iron or some harder material? A HSS drill bit and reamer will work or I'll need a carbide one?

04/04/2023 22:02:39

This is the tool post I have now: Rapid fontana Type A
And the original I think it was something like this . So this modification was an upgrade or downgrade?

I also found here my lathe using a tool post similar to mine, but smaller:

So now I'm confused, where does that pin go? 

Edited By Sonic Escape on 04/04/2023 22:12:18

04/04/2023 21:52:35

The tool post is indeed large. Now I also realized this:

In the end I was able to remove that washer. Here is the bottom of the tool post with the pin and washer:

The compound has no hole for that pin. So now is clear that somebody replaced the original tool post. I think that there are two options now, to search for an original tool post or to make a hole for that pin. This hole should be made very precise, with a reamer. And in the right location. 

Also the tool post screw was abused. And it is a little bend. But that is not a big issue:

Edited By Sonic Escape on 04/04/2023 21:54:17

04/04/2023 19:40:45

It is a thicker washer and it fits exactly in the tool post. It clearly is part of the tool post. I was able to lift it a few mm by rotating it like a nut. But now it is stuck. I would have to use a plier to rotate it further. But it doesn't look right.

Edited By Sonic Escape on 04/04/2023 19:41:15

04/04/2023 18:24:41

Now I noticed that I don't have the original QCTP:

04/04/2023 17:54:13

Today I tried a knurling tool and I noticed that the tool post is rotating. I didn't pushed the knurling tool to much. But there is something wrong with this QCTP. There is no locking mechanism. That central screw has a big nut (removed in the picture) and that's it. There is a large pin marked by the arrow in the left. I can pull it out. But there is no corresponding hole in the compound where that pin to enter to stop the QCTP from spinning.

What is even more strange is that I can't lift the tool post. I remove the nut but the washer (right arrow) can't pass over the threaded part of the screw! How was this tool post mounted in the first place?!

Thread: Metal workbench
02/04/2023 18:57:11

Here I can't find tempered plates this size. But this shop from where I bought everything has also cold rolled plates. They are treated with an acid. I'm not sure how to translate their name, maybe pickled plates. Unfortunately the plates are up to 2mm thickness. But it could be an option to glue one on top of the 5mm plate. I'll go to the shop to see them again. It should be resistant to rust.

Meanwhile I painted one more layer of yellow paint. It looks better now.

Edited By Sonic Escape on 02/04/2023 18:58:36

Edited By Sonic Escape on 02/04/2023 18:59:44

02/04/2023 18:49:33
Posted by Jelly on 01/04/2023 22:07:50:

I would be inclined to use phosphoric acid (or a suitable phosphoric acid based rust treatment*) on the top of your table, wipe it down thoroughly and then apply a light machine oil or as you suggest a wax.

The Iron Phosphate produced by the rust treatment will result in a dull black finish which is reasonably hard wearing and will retain a protective layer of oil or wax on the surface without being greasy to the touch.

Painting the surface will not wear well, and most likely result in localised rusting wherever it gets scratched, giving you a worse long term outcome.

* Quite a few rust convertor products have a mix of weak phosphoric acid with a varnish or sealant, which is good for metal that will be painted, but would actually work against you when trying to prepare a surface of exposed "black phosphate" to be oiled/waxed for long term protection.

Edited By Jelly on 01/04/2023 22:16:21

Phosphoric acid solution produce an uneven effect. In some parts it is indeed black but in others it creates a white crust that can be easily removed. I'll try to see how does it look after I apply some oil or vax.

01/04/2023 20:35:24

Today I painted the workbench frame with a primer:

And this is how it looks after the first layer of yellow Hammerite:

I painted also one side of the plate with a rust converter. This is the side that will be glued to the frame. After I will remove that white crust and paint it.

I'm not sure what to do with the top of the plate. I wanted to polish it and then to apply some Autosol paste. It will create a thin layer of wax. So it will not rust and it will not be greasy. But then it will be like a mirror and will reflect the light. Maybe I'll paint it with a spay with some matte color. When it gets scratched, it will be easy to repair.

Thread: Knurling tool
01/04/2023 12:18:06
Posted by Graham Meek on 31/03/2023 15:28:13:

fig 2 parts prior to assembly..jpg

It looks very nice!

01/04/2023 12:16:48

Blondihacks has a lot of interesting stuff. She has also a video where she is building a knurling tool:

31/03/2023 11:39:36

I never tried to knurl something yet but I recognized that pattern from Machining Fundamentals book. It is called double-cut knurl. It has something to do with the alignment of the wheel bellow or above the center.

Edited By Sonic Escape on 31/03/2023 11:44:34

Edited By Sonic Escape on 31/03/2023 11:45:24

Thread: Blueing
31/03/2023 11:24:44

What method did you used in the end? How does it look like? Acetone is a nice non toxic degreaser and is widely available.

29/03/2023 10:48:44

This method seems to produce very good results. The parts are put in hydrogen peroxide to make them rust quickly. And then they are boiled in water.

26/03/2023 20:38:21

I have a green wheel. Is interesting that to grind carbide you need actually a softer material that regular grinding wheels. I used it to fix a brazed tool that had a small dent. There is a picture in a previous post in this tread. I was looking also for a diamond wheel but I couldn't find any reason to justify the price. The green wheel was enough to make the tool sharp again.

26/03/2023 20:28:51

The metal frame welding is 90% complete. Is feels very rigid. Next week-end I'm going to cut four square plates to cover each leg. And then I will glue a rubber sheet on each. The legs looks so ugly because of the rust converter liquid I used yesterday. But the surface is flat. I cleaned them with a rotating wire brush. I'm very pleased with the results so far.

25/03/2023 19:39:48
Posted by Jelly on 21/03/2023 17:18:01:
Posted by Sonic Escape on 21/03/2023 15:57:44:

I turned again the same piece of metal and the difference in surface finish is significant! With both HSS and brazed carbide tool the surface feels smooth. The third tool, the one with carbide indexable insert produces a horrible surface.

I wouldn't be too discouraged, there's a whole world of complexity when it comes to insertable tools, and selecting the correct insert for the job is a whole other skill-set to learn, generally inserts for Stainless are a different grade and chip-breaker design to those for normal steels.

Thank you for the info about the inserts. Those types look like a good starting point. I'm not discouraged, actually I found interesting the complexity of so many variables when it comes to inserts. But I'll dig into it later. So far I got some 20mm brazed tools. I picked P30 carbide type since I understood that this is less prone to break. But even so one tool was poorly packed and is missing a small piece.

I couldn't help myself and bought another 2m/40mm unknown steel bar. And a 0.5m/60mm one. To my excuse, they were only 1km away. I wanted to quickly cut one slice to try it just before going to sleep. But it took me at least 15 min to cut the 40mm one with a miter saw! There were 2m of sparks, my ears were ringing and I almost set the garage on fire in the process with a nearby plastic bag. And I supposed I woke up everybody again. But this metal is not so bad.

25/03/2023 17:35:54
Posted by Nicholas Farr on 13/03/2023 00:34:24:

Hi Sonic Escape, you only need enough short good runs of weld between the top and whatever you put it on. You don't say how heavy your heavy metal is, but as the others have said, your design will distort like a good-un, 10mm thick would be the minimum for any short of real fabrications or heavy stuff and 12mm thick would be better. If you really do have some heavy metal to work on, this is the sort of bench you want, with a good sturdy angle iron frame or a strong steel bench, which you can keep the gear you are doing any jobs with in.

That looks like a very solid bench. But 5mm is the thickest plates available here. For 10mm or more I should order it and then the transport becomes more complicated. I will also add some diagonal tubes if the result is not rigid enough.

The maximum weight that will sit on the desk is 150-200kg. I have a few old vacuum tubes military radios that weight 100kg each. Every time I was fixing something on them I was working on the floor. Also I'm working on a milling machine that might be heavier.

I still don't know what to do with the surface. Now that black coating is very dirty and it sticks to everything. I want to remove it but then I suppose the plate will rust.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate