By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Andrew Skinner

Here is a list of all the postings Andrew Skinner has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Old Parvalux motor not starting properly
28/09/2023 11:04:08

That looks like a resistance split phase motor. Instead of the capacitor providing starting torque, the start winding is wound of much thinner wire. The altered reactance/resistance ratio (called ‘Q” factor) causes the phase shift for starting.

Isolate the motor wire pairs and measure resistance and check operation of the centrifugal switch.

Thread: Following from grammar in the MEW 332 thread.....
21/09/2023 09:57:01
Posted by Ian P on 20/09/2023 20:13:02:

Milling Advice (can advice be milled?)

Measuring instrument storage (same as measuring anything else)

Ian P

These two are ok, I think.

”Milling” here is a gerund, a verbal noun.

”Measuring” is a gerundive, adjectival to “instrument”.

Thread: Milling Advice
20/09/2023 11:41:35
Posted by Andrew Johnston on 20/09/2023 11:07:09:
Posted by Andrew Skinner on 20/09/2023 10:34:06:

...I read somewhere that you can stone the sharp corners of the endmill to improve the finish, obviously keeping that one just for facing cuts. Is this advisable?

It's an old school trick that should work, although I haven't tried it. The modern equivalent is a cutter with a radius (less than 1mm) ground on the corners. These cutters are expensive, circa £45 for a 10mm diameter one. I reserve them for final cuts when I need a good finish and a flat surface. I used one to finish the valve chest faces on my traction engine cylinders.

Andrew

Thanks, I’ll try that. I inherited lots of Clarkson cutters with my TS mill, many with chipped edges so might as well grind them off and use for facing.

20/09/2023 10:34:06

This is more question than answer, but I read somewhere that you can stone the sharp corners of the endmill to improve the finish, obviously keeping that one just for facing cuts. Is this advisable? I haven’t tried it.

Thread: This made me smile
01/09/2023 10:15:49

For similar reasons, the university newspaper was never allowed to abbreviate ‘Cambridge University netball team’.

Thread: Workshop Lighting
02/06/2023 12:25:59

I did chip in to the original thread, but realised I was starting to bang on a bit about power factor, and such.

In the interests of getting to the bottom of the issue, I’d still like to know if Andy Mawson’s leccy meter measures in kVArH or kWH. That’s absolutely key.

All the reps/technicians sent there to investigate did no more than clamp the supply cable, using P=IV (the ‘DC formula’ ), rather than addressing phase, ie P=IVcos[phi].

For example, if I powered up a fluo light fitting with no tube in it, I would see the full leading VARs supplied by the capacitor, shown as a significant current on my clamp meter. There would be, however, pretty much no charge for this on a domestic kWH tariff.

He got a great result from the supplier, but it still gnaws at me now and again that we haven’t fully ‘bottomed out’ the technicalities of this.

Edited By Andrew Skinner on 02/06/2023 12:26:30

Thread: Hemingway large bore fixed steady kit
15/03/2023 12:15:17

Well, I’ve done the flats, separated the castings, mostly formed the hinge, and turned the fingers.

The casting isn’t big enough to achieve the 1” diameter of the hinge bosses, but I don’t think it really matters. My first time radial milling seemed to go okay (I’ve only owned the mill for a few months).

Not especially happy with the female hinge boss. I was aiming for a 6mm slot, but accepting it might cut oversize (I just machined the male part to fit). The inner sides aren’t very parallel, nor flat-bottomed. After some work with a file, the hinge fits but there is a small amount of play axial to the pin.

Cutter was a longish 6mm Clarkson which came with the machine. I guess the non-flat bottom is down to chipped teeth on the cutter. The non-parallelism is a bit more annoying - I assume the piece was flexing/vibrating.

Should I have gone for an even smaller cutter (5mm?), then stepped over to each side? No DRO, so I was at the mercy of backlash.

12/03/2023 18:35:05

Ok, thanks. I’ve gone ahead and put flats all over it, so time will tell if it was worth bothering. Since I’m a bit lacking in experience I thought it might help.

12/03/2023 11:16:54

Just arrived.

The instructions are lathe-based, but I’d like to use the TS mill. As it happens, Steveigtr has put out a set of videos of his build, which I’m working through. I’d be interested in his comments particularly.

Before separating the two halves of the casting, Stevie milled both sides with flat references, but not anywhere else.

Would it be wise to mill reference surfaces, horizontal and vertical, pretty much all over the piece before cutting in half?

Thread: Tom Senior light vertical motor swap
13/01/2023 18:20:57

^ thanks, the digital RPM meter and sender came with my Boxford VSL, but I managed to get its original Smiths meter going again, so it’s a free upgrade for the mill…

Edited By Andrew Skinner on 13/01/2023 18:21:23

13/01/2023 15:48:42

Currently building up a mill control box (rev-off-fwd, e-stop, power and fault lights, rpm meter, speed pot) from an adaptable box and bits.

Another question, possibly for Steviegtr - since the new motor shaft is only 40mm, and the mount adapter is 10mm thick, I’ve only got a small amount of shaft inside the pulley, which is leading to vibrations if the belt is set to normal tightness. I’ve left it loose for now.

The motor shaft has a 6mm thread in the end. Would it be feasible to turn a shaft extension of 19mm diameter, with a similar thread inside, and lock the two together with a length of 6mm studding?

Also, I need to mount the RPM sender somehow. How did you mount yours?

03/01/2023 15:46:52
Posted by Simon Williams 3 on 02/01/2023 17:02:00:

If a light load on the quill helps, how about changing the quill bearings to be the -2RS style with double rubber seals, lubricated for life. These usually have a bit of passive resistance as a consequence of the seal.

Unless it uses angular contacts of course. Fairly sure mine is standard single row ball bearings, though it is some time since I had it apart.

Mine is the earlier version with a single keyway rather than a spline. It does rattle rather with a face mill but it hasn't failed yet.

That would be a good idea, that I might save till the bearings need changing.

I had some thoughts about the backlash in the X and Y directions. The screws are more worn in the middle, and I guess there’s some wear in the feed nuts as well. There’s a company in the US (Roton) that supplies Acme LH 5 tpi threaded rod for only about £12 per foot. With this, and a suitable LH thread tap, could I not make up some new feed screws/nuts?

02/01/2023 16:27:39

Did that as well. It did work, and was how I diagnosed the source of the knocking.

02/01/2023 15:16:55

Yes, I did that. Seems to have helped a bit.

02/01/2023 13:57:02
Posted by DiogenesII on 01/01/2023 22:04:46:

Andrew, does your mill 'hammer' all the time whatever the cutter and conditions, or is it noticeably worse during some particular operations?

Does it ease up if you tweak any of the parameters?

Only when I’m using the fly cutter. I haven’t tried it with the new 3ph motor, which should be smoother, and the VFD hasn’t arrived yet.

I’ve temporarily rigged up the VFD from my morticer just for a test run, but I don’t want to change settings on that as it’s not an easy interface.

01/01/2023 14:46:17

I’ve done an album:

14404278-f0c2-46ba-883c-63e2988dd499.jpeg

4e43fdab-4daa-4d80-8a29-b1661f2ba35f.jpeg

9e3b3502-56f7-434f-a057-e3b34e36aa97.jpeg

f2f018bf-1b60-410c-bcf6-53cf4451f234.jpeg

ea1451b0-93aa-45b8-9d05-5f178df20308.jpeg

Edited By Andrew Skinner on 01/01/2023 14:47:21

01/01/2023 14:39:43

Right, I’ve finally fitted a 1 hp TEC motor with B14 mount on ally adapter flange as per the advice above. Cheers for that.

With the head stripped down, it appears that the play is indeed between the splined parts. The only slight ray of hope is that it’s similar all the way along the length, even the bit right at the top, suggesting that if I replaced the female part, that would make a big difference. I think the mill’s been used primarily as a drilling machine, given the awful state of the vice, which would have evened out the wear in the male splines,

Is there someone out there who could make a new female drive part? I could probably turn the round aspects, leaving just the splines to cut, or even fit a splined repair insert.

Since there’s no play anywhere else, I’m inclined to stop the stripdown there and reassemble with some new grease.

Edited By Andrew Skinner on 01/01/2023 14:51:56

28/12/2022 12:31:12

Thanks for the pics. I think you might be referring to radial play in the spindle?

What I have is backlash between drive pulley and spindle. For example, as the fly cutter takes a cut, the backlash is taken up, and at the end of the sweep, the cutter overruns until the next cut, where the lash is taken up again with a knock.

I plan to strip down anyway, so will keep you posted.

26/12/2022 16:31:13
Posted by Andrew Moyes 1 on 26/12/2022 16:10:03:

Andrew, the original flange mounting on my machine has a 110mm spigot, bolts on a 130mm PCD and motor flange OD of 160mm The motor I fitted is 0.55kW at 50Hz and 0.66kW at 60Hz with a frame size IEC71. I believe the flange mounting is described as B5 with frame size 71. (Note B5 flanges are different for other frame sizes.) Bearing Boys sell a TEC motor of this specification.

Ah, mine’s different then.

While we’re on it, the spindle on mine knocks annoyingly when on the cut. I’ve traced the noise to rotary play between the spindle and its drive pulley. If I ‘brake’ the part of the spindle that protrudes next to the motor at the top, the noise goes away. On my machine, this part is a splined shaft.

Bearing in mind I’m fairly new to mills, would it be worth stripping the head down, and how would I take the play out?

26/12/2022 12:18:29

Thanks for the tips, especially the video.

Frank/Andrew, have your motor mounts already been modified? I can’t find a modern motor with 5.5” PCD flange.

Steve, I couldn’t see it from the motor plate, but I take it yours is an 80 frame with B14’A’ type flange?

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate