By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Russ Jackson

Here is a list of all the postings Russ Jackson has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: the effect of Electrolytic de-rusting on Soldered joints
24/11/2022 22:07:27
Posted by Tom Sheppard on 24/11/2022 18:35:27:

Lead, which will be the main constituent of the solder willl be pretty unreactive. Electrolytic cleaning will be fine.

thanks Tom I did suspect that but I wasn't sure......cheers

24/11/2022 17:54:07
Posted by SillyOldDuffer on 24/11/2022 17:48:09:
Posted by Russ Jackson on 24/11/2022 17:23:26:

thanks Tim.....I'll keep asking around on the interweb someone somewhere has restored one of these tanks somewhere......cheers

This is something I'd experiment with. It depends partly on the electrolyte, which I assume would be Washing Soda. In theory, I'd expect Tim's answer to be correct - the action would mainly effect the rust rather than a Lead/Tin mix. But electrolysis is a powerful way of ripping molecules apart, so I'd want to double check by trying it on a victim.

Why not solder some tin-plate together (old cans), rust them up by scratching and wetting with salt water, and then electrolytically clean them. I'm 80% confident electrolysis won't damage the soldered joints, but I wouldn't risk doing it to a treasured tank unless I'd gone the extra mile and made certain!

Dave

to be honest I am going to solder up a box of tin plate with soft solder get it rusty and see what happens like you say Dave it shouldn't do anything to the Solder but you just never know.....cheers Dave

24/11/2022 17:23:26

thanks Tim.....I'll keep asking around on the interweb someone somewhere has restored one of these tanks somewhere......cheers

24/11/2022 16:21:03

thanks for the replies chaps......the elctrolyte solution I would use is basically washing soda (Sodium Carbonate) mixed with hot water that's all nothing corrosive as far as I understand I'm just wondering as the solution attracts and lifts the rust would it do the same to any lead in the soft solder.....agh......such an easy thing to do but is it on a soldered tank.....using a proprietary de-rustng solution might be worse

23/11/2022 11:20:01

Hi All

I'm a newbie here and I have what may appear to be a simple question but I haven't managed to find any kind of answer so far so here's my issue......so I'm restoring a 1927 Sunbeam model 9 motorcycle not a scale model but the real thing.....the combined petrol / oil tank of Flat tank design is of original of soft Soldered Tinplate construction unfortunately it is very rusty inside so I'm hoping I can de-rust it using Electrolysis.....but before I start doing this I really need to know if this will dissolve / erode the Soldered joints can anyone he me out

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate