By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Joe Snowden

Here is a list of all the postings Joe Snowden has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Replacement 1ph motor wiring (Warco BH600)
19/11/2022 20:00:19

Close! Had 15 minutes to nip into the garage, unfortunately it only runs forward and not reverse?

Any ideas?

18/11/2022 20:53:00

Thanks for the replies, I think I'm going to give it a bash.

Adrian, it does sound like your motor isn't kicking out all it's ponies. I had to replace the start capacitor when I bought the lathe (secondhand). After that, it never had a problem starting in any belt configuration 👍

17/11/2022 21:59:11

Hi All,

I'm about to replace the single phase motor on my lathe as a temporary fix. It's like for like as far as both are dual capacitor, single phase 1400rpm, forward/reverse motors, with the exception of that the replacement motor is a little smaller, going from 2hp to 1.5hp (I already have it).

Naively, I thought it would be straightforward but I'm now not so sure. Luckily the 5 wires from the lathe are labelled (V1, V2, U1, U2, Earth) but the bit that has be confused is on the motor that was in place, all wires went to their corresponding terminals with the exception of V2 which went to Z2W2.

Further to this, the wiring from to the motor casing to the terminal block is different across the two motors...

Below is the motor wiring for the new motor - Would I be right to simply wire as it was before (I.e. lathe connects to their corresponding terminals on the motor with the exception of V2 going to Z2W2?

1ph motor.jpg

I did try looking in the Warco manual which was of little use and unfortunately the Grizzly manual shows different wiring compared with my machine. I've done a fair bit of googling and all examples I have come across seem to have jumpers across terminals on the motors terminal blocks whereas neither of my motors were set up like that.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Joe

Thread: DRO Scales
21/01/2022 11:28:47

Thanks all 👍

19/01/2022 15:17:12

Hi All,

I was lucky enough to receive a 3 axis DRO and one 200mm scale to fit on to my Warco VMC. I need to buy the remaining 2 scales (400mm and 600mm) but all the usual sources are either out of stock or double expensive!

Does anyone know where they can be sourced reasonably cheaply? I'm just a hobbyist with a limited budget (read second child due in the next 2 weeks!) so don't want to spend the earth.

Many Thanks,

Joe

Thread: Warco BH600 Non Starter
07/01/2021 22:49:06

Just a quick one to report back, I replaced both the start and run capacitors and the problem is resolved, night and day difference.

Of course the disappointing side to this is I no longer have an excuse to upgrade to a inverter/3-phase set up 😁

Many Thanks,

Joe

02/01/2021 14:38:50

Thanks Howard, I'm definitely leaning towards the motor, is there a way I can test this?

01/01/2021 22:32:05

Hi All,

Rather than start a new thread, thought I'd revive this one as I'm having a similar problem. I've recently bought a BH600 which I didn't get to see running when I bought it (no reason to doubt the people that I bought it from, selling on behalf of their late father, lovely people).

Since getting it wired in, it has power and I have managed to get to turn the spindle however it's not right. Firstly, in a low rpm gear, it will spin but the motor labour's to get going and sometimes doesn't get up to speed (forward or reverse). If I put it in a higher gear (nothing crazy, 600rpm), I can hear the motor buzz but it doesn't rotate and will eventually what seems like it 'trip' the orange relay and won't energise either forward and reverse relays (albeit I can manual push them in to power the motor). This is all with nothing in the chuck and I am able to rotate the chuck by hand (whilst switched off) with relative ease.

As you may have gathered, I'm far from an electrical expert (or a machinist!) - any advice would be welcomed.

Many Thanks,

Joe

Thread: Hello - coming out of the shadows!
28/09/2020 21:16:05

Thanks for the input guys, much appreciated - can't wait to get it set up. My other consideration is the stand and leveling it. I was thinking of fitting anti-vibration feet to the standard stand as the concrete in my garage isn't the best (not particularly level or smooth). I was thinking of welding a 6mm plate underneath each of the two cabinets with four feet to each but I could be over thinking it?

What have others done with similar style stands?

28/09/2020 11:40:22

Hi All,

I've often used this forum for it's wealth of information but hadn't signed until today.

Until the weekend I had been using a CL500 as space had been a constraint, it has served me well as I bought it second hand and has been perfectly usable.

I'm fortunate enough to have a bit more space now so have got something a bit more robust, I picked up at the weekend a Warco BH600 in very good condition with a few nice extras but will be looking to add a DRO in the near future as well as adding a Warco VMC (or similar) to the stable.

I initially bought the CL500 for making spaces and bits and bobs for an ongoing motorcycle build (XS650 flat tracker) but quickly found out the reason to buy lathes and mills is to spend most of your time making tools/jigs/fixtures to use on said machines 😂

Can anybody recommend a 2 axis DRO for the BH600? Do people have much luck with buying directly from China/BangGood?

Many Thanks,

Joe

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate