By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Ron Laden

Here is a list of all the postings Ron Laden has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Class 22 Diesel (next project)
08/02/2021 06:01:06

Thanks guys

Dave, although it doesn't pretend to be a scale model I will be adding some more chassis detail, though any rivet counters had better look away but they probably have already..wink

07/02/2021 14:08:10

A dry day at last so couldn't resist getting a feel for how things looked with the body mounted to the chassis, quite pleased with it.

img_20210207_134835.jpg

07/02/2021 08:51:11

I cant answer that as I know nothing about Tesla batteries but yes battery technology and related systems is pretty impressive these days and advancing at an amazing rate.

My loco will be powered by 2 x 12 volt deep cycle batteries, but its not just power they provide at 16kgs each they provide the weight needed for traction. Each battery sits above the bogies loading them to the track, if the batteries were remote from the loco it wouldnt be capable of pulling much of a load and certainly not a passenger it would just sit and wheel spin.

Thread: Soldering stainless steel pipe
06/02/2021 15:35:59

No I have never looked to be honest I,m too eager to get my hands on what I ordered..smiley

If I had to guess though I would have thought they would be welded but obviously not..

06/02/2021 14:39:52

Well I have learnt something, I never knew that solder would take to Stainless, you live and learn.

Ron

06/02/2021 14:07:38

Thanks Jeff

Its time to get the putty out, 2 cabs and 12 door windows to glaze next.

Ron

06/02/2021 09:10:44

I will consider this a bit of a milestone it's been too long in coming but the 22 is in its final colour. Its a bit darker than the picture shows but it gives some idea.

I used a new to me paint which I am really impressed with, I went with spray cans for the main colour but airbrush weathering will follow.

The cans I used are Belton Molotow Premium (German) I got them from Jackson Art of London, £3.75 for a 400ml can which is great value. The paint is said to be int/ext, high pigment, permanent and high UV-resistant. There is also an extensive range of colours and the paint dries satin, the nozzle on the can is excellent the best I,ve used. Just thought I would give it a heads up should anyone be interested.

Ron

img_20210206_083721.jpg

Thread: Heinrici without Castings
04/02/2021 14:08:05

Wow Jason, that seems to have come on a long way in a short period of time and a test run also.

It runs a treat you must be pleased with it, I was surprised how long it ran on for after the heat source was removed I was expecting it to run for a little while but not as much as it did.

Really very nice indeed.

Ron

Thread: Loctite made in China?
03/02/2021 10:42:21

I wonder how many people realise that Loctite products have a 12 month shelf life across most of their product range, I bet its in the minority. Who in the home workshop will take a hardly used £15 bottle of Loctite and bin it because its a year old, not many. You hear of people using Loctite that is donkeys years old and still good.

03/02/2021 06:58:37

I don't even buy Loctite by brand name now I buy the cheaper versions at less than half the price. The only thing I look for is that they are cross referenced to the Loctite type and number threadlock, studlock, retainer etc, but how reliable that is in anyone's guess. I tend to buy the smaller bottles so they don't last as long so what you have on the shelf you know is quite fresh.

I have bought them from hardware shops, builders merchants, tool suppliers etc and have yet to find a bad one they all seem to work just like the genuine Loctite. I don't get hung up on "that it must be Loctite product" it doesn't.

Edited By Ron Laden on 03/02/2021 06:58:56

02/02/2021 16:52:46

I have been playing lights today, picture below.

Quite pleased with them, the headlights are 12 volt 10mm ultra bright led,s and the tail lights are standard 12 volt 8mm red led,s. They are copied both ends of course, the main loco power is 2 x 12 volt in series giving 24 volts. Four of the lights draw just 40 mA total so I plan on supplying them from one of the batteries giving 12 volts. At such a low current I don't think it will unbalance the batteries plus I will run the tiny roof fan motor from the other battery which should balance things out somewhat.

The camera didn't like the red tail lights showing white centres but they show fully red to the eye.

img_20210202_161958.jpg

Thread: Economy Spiral Flute Taps?
02/02/2021 07:22:40

I also use the ARC ones, good quality and good price. I don't have the sets I get individual ones as jobs dictate. It looks like the individual ones are in stock both spiral flute and spiral tip. They also carry them in HSS-Co5.

Thread: Back once again with the idiot questions...
31/01/2021 19:10:03

My CJ18 came with a 100mm 3 jaw which had M8 threaded holes and a 72mm recess, when I ordered a 100mm 4 jaw from ARC that to came with the 72mm recess and that also had the M8 holes. I fitted both of them with M8 grub screws of suitable length, I used Loctite to keep them in position and maintain the correct amount of protrusion for the flange and nut, it worked well.

Thread: A recent thread has vanished - NOT
31/01/2021 16:52:34

I posted half an hour ago in my Class 22 which I can see in the Latest Forum Posts box to the right but its disappeared from Latest Posts here...?

31/01/2021 16:10:48

Removable roof painted with two coats of top coat over brown primer. It gives good coverage and I,m happy with the colour. Its a bit darker than the picture shows and its quite close to BR Maroon which is what I was after.

img_20210131_153258.jpg

Thread: My new lathe a Warco 918
31/01/2021 13:47:01

Just thought it best to check with you guys so I dont make an error, will a carbide insert (ferrous type) manage to cut the jaws of a 3 jaw chuck ok..? I know the jaws are hardened but wondered how much.

31/01/2021 13:46:36

Just thought it best to check with you guys so I dont make an error, will a carbide insert (ferrous type) manage to cut the jaws of a 3 jaw chuck ok..? I know the jaws are hardened but wondered how much.

31/01/2021 13:45:23

Edited By Ron Laden on 31/01/2021 13:47:34

30/01/2021 20:17:41

Apart from the windscreens and wipers which come after the painting the loco ends are complete, some of the detail I will pick out but again after the top coat is finished.

img_20210130_200153.jpg

29/01/2021 19:24:12

Hi Jeff,

Yes I think it should look ok, I,ve always liked the Maroon Westerns and talking of which the picture below shows a heavily weathered example in Maroon on my N gauge layout. I did consider modelling a Western in 5 inch but I am only just managing for space with the class 22 at 43 inches long, I would really struggle with something almost half as long again.

Ron

p.s.

Thanks Dave, LT..? do you mean the London Transport class 20.?

dsc05739_edited-2 (2).jpg

Edited By Ron Laden on 29/01/2021 19:30:15

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate