By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Karl Tear

Here is a list of all the postings Karl Tear has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Cutting / tapping oil
18/04/2020 13:01:11

Hi

What is everyone using for tapping drilling lubricant ?

At work we use rocol but for a hobbiest. Any alternatives ?

I came across a product on ebay called trillion. Anyone used it ?

karl

Thread: Help with an old Mill
13/04/2020 17:20:40

20200410_191056.jpg20200412_191256.jpg20200412_191312.jpg20200413_165040.jpg20200413_165045.jpg

13/04/2020 17:19:36

20200413_165048.jpg20190921_114541.jpg

13/04/2020 17:01:00

Hi everyone. Hope someone can help me

Last year i aqquired a elliot victoria TV2, lovely solid machine. Came with a box load of tooling and was a good size for my workshop. Iv not used it since purchase as been too busy with work but with the current situation it was a perfect time to play in the shed

Iv had a quill issue where it locks up, after tearing down i have found it to be poor maintenance where swarf has got trappes in the body. Cleaned up and stoned the burr. Will be fine. Now im wondering what lubes the spindle. Is it oil or grease. All the other nipple have plaques saying oil or grease ( shell alavania grease and shell vitrea 37 oil ), but my spindle has a nipple iv never seen and no plaque to suggest what to put in it

Iv attatched a photo if spindle bearings and nipple

Oil or grease ? What do you think. Suggestions on type of oil ? Also what equivalent for the shell lubricants

Thanks in advance

Karl

Thread: Building a 4" traction engine burrell
15/11/2019 18:09:36

Hi bill

Much appreciated. I owe you one

15/11/2019 16:50:52

Hi bill. Yes i did, i emailed him at his steam scenes email and his website design page and no response, i camt message him through traction talk as i dont have permission to message yet

Il take a look brian

Thanks for the suggestions

15/11/2019 14:19:13

Thanks jason

Il take a look at that they do one about the little samson aswell i think, like you say all literature will help as they all have similiarities
Everyone has said about traction talk, i registered well over two month ago.and still havent heard anything, emailed the administrator no reply so not really sure what to do, people have said they take a while to respond to registrations but two months seems excessive ??
Regards
karl
15/11/2019 13:13:53

Hi everyone, so iv just started a 4" burrell, 1st batch of castings turned up this morning

Does anyone have any books they suggest that might be of use, I am using live steam models plans and castings but any books of any burrells im sure would be of use, even if it just gave me different ideas if work holdingg that i hadnt thought of

Look forward to your suggestions

Regards

Karl

Thread: Traction talk forum
24/10/2019 21:49:56

Hi everyone

Iv just started a burrell 4 inch engine and a few people have recommended joining traction talk as they have a welth of threads and photos that could help me along the way

I registered for it back in august but my account still seems to be in moderation. Do the nor.ally take this long to process ?? I emailed the administrator. "David" but the email failed to reach the email address

Regards

Karl

Thread: Live steam models Burrell Metric or Imperial Drawings
06/10/2019 19:27:04

Hi Everyone,

Followong on from my last post, Iv decided to build the 4" burrell that live steam models do, they offer their drawing in metric or imperial, having spoken to them they said that the drawings are not straight conversions, that they are modified to allow for metric materials. Andrew j who is building two burrells said that he struggled to locate imperial plate and thus had to change some parts to accomodate the metric sheet steel

Whats peoples thoughts? Should I go metric or imperial. Neither phases me but my lathes are imperial so if i go metric i will have to convert when I machine parts, but also the idea that metric drawing will match the materials i can get does seem better

Has anyone used metric drawings ?

Do people critisise models that are metric ? Id hate for the rest of modelling community to think i cheated or made a bad model because it wasnt imperial like it's original ?

Let me know your thoughts

Regards

Karl

Thread: Building a 4" traction engine
05/09/2019 14:21:27

by the way andrew your model looks very nice so far. Im not sure id be aloud to bring mine in the house but perhaps if i show the mrs your photo and tell her everyone does it, she may well make an exception smiley

Karl

05/09/2019 14:19:21

Hi everyone

Thankyou so much for all of your feedback

The clubs you have joined, are they just model engineering clubs or specifaclly travtion engine clubs ?, i have a good club up the road from me in kings lynn but they are very much towards locomotive rather than traction engines, having said that they do say they have an interest in any engineering

Machine wise and moving about im set, we are a family run recovery business doing everything up to low loaders and machinery wise we have lathes and mills to cope with the majority of tasks. Literally down the road is a very good machine shop who i pratically speak to daily and like most people in this kind of thing, they are extremely helpfull and would definetly help with the few larger items i couldnt or wouldnt want to do

It may be strange but im 24, my background is perkins maintenance engineer so iv done a good majority of my apprenticeship in a machine shop making parts to keep machined running that otherwise might stop production

Is plastow considered not so good in traction engines ?? Last year i spoke to a few people at the london exhibition and again the drawings were critisised and so were the castings. Iv done a fair few stuarts and i also have come across quite a few poor castings ( porous and sometimes just downright rough)

Andrew il definetly see if i can make it and have a look round, when iv been to different rallies a lot of the owners have not been the builders so it would be good to go somewhefre were people are buolding them themselves. Would you not recommend lSM because of the drawings. Or are you saying theyre ok but approach each drawing with caution ?

Il take a look at john rex. Iv not heard of them but i want to look at all options and make the right decsion

Karl

04/09/2019 22:59:30

Hi everyone, after some advice or experience on building a traction engine

So iv been looking into building a traction engine for quite a while now. Iv done quite a few different stationary models and these were really to bring myself back up to speed ready for.the traction engine build. Iv decided to build a burrel as im norfolk and burrells history is in norfolk.

Im torn between two.models. either a 4 1/2" platow model or a 4" EKP model. The EKP is a prettier model as it is isnt an agricultural machine like the plastow is, and if it was just based on that id pick the EKP model but it is also much pricier, and unlike plastow they do.not have a builders guide which i think is invaluable

So.my questions are :-

When choosing a model where do you draw the line when it comes to pricing. Should you go all out on the model of your dreams, or is the achievment of.building something like that enough to say il just stick with the plastow

Secondly all the stationary engines i have bought have come as casting kits. Do most people go all out and buy all the castings up front or do people buy castings in stages or as they need them

Thirdly im not part of a club, for boiler testing (which no doubt il get made by a proffessional such as western steam) are their individuals who you can take your model to for testing or is the only route to.join a club ?

Many thanks in advance

Karl

Thread: Myford ml7 set up
14/10/2016 21:36:31
Hi everyone. I'm new here so I'll quickly introduce myself. I'm karl. 21. Ex Perkins apprentice (maintenance and Machining) now run a car garage. I make model steam engines. Stuart models mostly. Last year I moved out from my parents so used my dads Harrison ,warco lathes and Bridgeport mill. Since moving I have been looking for a cheap lathe to get back into model engineering and stumbled on an advert 200 pound for a 1953 Myford ml7 completely on pieces. I took a punt on it and got it.iv put everything together and found everything other than the main gear guard missing and both headstock Shim's middung desperate to get up and running I made my own shims from a shim pack at work. I blued the bearing shells and run them on the spindle and the contact is really good surprisingly however the shims have ended up being 0.017 at the back bearing and 0.015 at the front.

Surely this means my spindle isn't parallel to the bed ?

Is their a way to measure this?

I look forward to everyone's suggestions

I'll try get pics on tomorrow
Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate