By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Mark Whelan

Here is a list of all the postings Mark Whelan has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: 3/16 bsw screws
28/02/2019 13:22:35

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the tips and for the PM's offering to help. The 10-24 is probably easiest to try first, as I should have some lying around in work, if that doesn't work I'll try the next few options. I'll also try to remember to report back with some news hopefully.

Mark

27/02/2019 20:59:55

Hey all,

I'm after shearing off two screws in the tailstock of my myford m type, which I think are 3/16 24 bsw

I've drilled them out and now I need to replace them.

There's a few sellers on eBay but the want between 10-20 pounds shipping to Ireland for 5 screws!

Anyone recommend somewhere more reasonable?

Thread: A memory test for the Electronics Wizards
18/07/2018 21:40:37
No problem at all. Funny to come across the part out in the wild. How did you end up with it?

Also, funny to note, the diode in it has been ball bonded, not wedge bonded.
Might only be funny to me
18/07/2018 13:57:33

Hi Michael,

I just came across this thread, and Im way late. But I actually have one those 2470 wedge bonders. The part you were asking about is a photodiode so the machine can tell how bright the light is. When running in automatic mode the different sections need different amounts of light and it used this diode to check that its output is consistent.

Thread: Fitting nuts in awkward spaces
13/06/2018 16:06:02

Hi Baldric,

If you need to get a reasonable amount of torque in an awkward spot, if the nut is big enough, ive drilled a hole in the flat face and used a dowel to turn it the last 8th of a turn to snug it home. you know yourself, those weird problem days..

For less tight fittings, usually forceps. I use them for fishing, but medical ones either

Thread: Machine Bench on castors
18/11/2016 14:25:46

Thanks for the ideas and pictures guys. I started cutting and welding away last night but only got the top cut and welded when we had a power cut. Clearly my little 80amp inverter welder was too powerful for the grid to handle.

I think I'm going to add the screw jack legs to take the load off the casters, though I'm toying with the idea of 4 small car type scissor jacks on the grounds that I think it'd look cool and would have a nice wide foot.

Unfortunately I dug out the heavy casters I had put aside for just such a day and found they dont actually have brakes.. They do have a 6-7mm thick steel plate down to the wheels and the wheels also have a steel hub. So i'm thinking of drilling and tapping the plate so I can add a locking screw to the wheels. it wont be moved often so I can deal with the inconvenience of getting on all fours to unlock them.

Amazing how one problem breeds more problems isn't it? Anyone else care to post their benches?

16/11/2016 10:43:08

Hi Guys,

I about to be welding up a new workbench as a home for my new myford/drummond and westbury milling machines, and I was just having a debate with myself about putting the whole table on some castors for flexability in my limited space.

Neither machine is particularly heavy, but it still seems slightly odd in my head.

Anybody else have any horror/success stories?

Thread: Myford (Drummond) M type lathe chuck
19/10/2016 10:32:20

Thanks Guys,

I took a punt on the lathe, which will by my first. Quite excited

I also took the dore westbury mill the guy had too. both Should be delivered in about 2 weeks

Hope to be machining up a storm in no time

11/10/2016 13:23:35
Hi all,

Debating buying an old myford M type 3.5" lathe but it only has a 4 jaw chuck with it.

Do the ml7 Chucks fit or can anyone recommend a suitable 3 jaw?

Appreciate the help, don't want to buy a lathe that no bits are available for

Thread: Clarke lathe in classified
23/09/2016 20:39:34
Thanks guys. Appreciate it
23/09/2016 14:11:11
Hey all, I typically lurk around here as I don't have a lot to contribute at the moment being machine-less but i like the cut of the cl430 in the classifieds.

Being a quiet type I can't view the ad details. Can someone let me know what part of the world it's in?
Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate