By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for RMA

Here is a list of all the postings RMA has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: 5" 57XX PANSY BOILER MANUFACTURER?
22/08/2021 11:18:22

Bishop Ellis I would think. I have a couple of their boilers and they are well made. Do you have any paperwork with it,you might be able to trace the history.

Thread: How the crisis in container ships could ruin Christmas
22/08/2021 09:10:55
Posted by Pete. on 22/08/2021 01:15:19:
Posted by Ady1 on 22/08/2021 01:02:07:

We buy too much junk we don't need anyway so the more expensive it is the better

A big chunk of those chinese emissions is making useless junk purchased by us

I have to agree with this, raising the cost of cheap goods that have a very low life span can only be good for the environment.

It does beg the question, if the Chinese economy did actually replace the USA as the world's leading economy, will they finally loose the 'developing nation' status that allows the cheap shipping of goods?

Have you tried shipping from China....certainly not cheap!

Thread: Full size steam train goes off cliff for entertainment
21/08/2021 12:07:43

Not real at all.

**LINK**

Another rail mag I've read describes the Diesel power in the tender. Good effort though, I wonder how many seconds of footage it gets.

21/08/2021 11:42:41
Posted by Rob McSweeney on 21/08/2021 11:27:44:
Posted by RMA on 21/08/2021 10:38:34:
Posted by vic newey on 21/08/2021 10:33:38:

Initially my reaction. I couldn't reconise it as a 'proper' loco and after investigation , it appears it's a mock up and not powered by steam at all.

Look at how the running boards are inclined upwards and meet the boiler cladding.

Yes I know, I was initially stumped to ident it. It was based around a Britannia, and there is a resemblance. It was powered by a Diesel engine located in the tender.

21/08/2021 10:38:34
Posted by vic newey on 21/08/2021 10:33:38:

More photo's here, Preparations for train stunt another link mentions that the train will fall into a water pit. I can imagine many steam enthusiasts being angry if the engine is destroyed

Initially my reaction. I couldn't reconise it as a 'proper' loco and after investigation , it appears it's a mock up and not powered by steam at all.

Thread: EV Charging Hacks …
04/08/2021 08:25:16

I don't have an electric vehicle and not keen on getting one. In normal circumstances (pre Covid) they would not give me the range or flexibility of my Cat 6 diesel powered car with extremely low emissions!

Having to leave your vehicle overnight at the railway station to charge up and walk home...really?

Reading through the posts on this thread (and others referring to charging problems) it seems to me that it's another political must have deadline to do away with IC power and replace with EV and then, usually decades later to put in the necessary infrastructure! It won't be long before they start taxing these vehicles to pay for the extra power stations and distribution.

Very similar to the target to fill the country with new housing and warehousing without building the road structure to cope with all the extra traffic!

Progress??

Thread: E10 Petrol
22/07/2021 08:03:43

The switch, or rather evolution to adding ethanol to fuel has been going on a long time and the increase to 10% was announced last year. (no doubt this will increase until, together with price increases, will force IC cars off the road. Classic car clubs and a few politicians have been campaigning to keep some ethanol free petrol available, and the government has given that assurance.

It is available around the UK but you have to research where to find it. I use Esso Supreme 99 for my classic, and there's only one pump available in my town. This isn't helped by the government insisting that ALL pumps should carry the 5 or 10% sticker on them, and forecourt staff haven't a clue what they sell. I went direct to Esso to get a UK map of availability, but this will change over time I guess.

Edited By JasonB on 22/07/2021 10:00:41

Thread: More security for the shed
10/07/2021 10:29:33

This thread covers a very important subject but it's probably not a good idea to go into detail about your own security! This is the internet and this forum is open......thieves these days don't go round in a striped shirt carrying a jemmy any more, they are very tech savy nowadays and can find out where you live and what you've got.

Thread: Aircraft General Discussion
25/06/2021 18:59:36
Posted by martin perman on 25/06/2021 16:12:21:

the only two "likely" to return to flight are at Bruntingthorpe, one has its engines and other parts removed, the other one is able to run up its engines but word is the only way they will leave Bruntithorpe is on trucks particularly as the owner of the site is reclaiming the use of the runway for storage.

None of the vintage aviation press have mentioned any attempt to put one back in the sky.

Martin P

Russian copy maybe?

Thread: Appropriate grease for milling Spindle
20/06/2021 10:31:39

I agree, always best to follow the manufacturers recommendations but in this case the OP doesn't have a manual. He does say it's an old British make but doesn't give the maker of the bearings. If they are Timken, my advice is as I mentioned above. I served my time there and spent a while as a tech rep for them. We advised all manufacturers/customers as to lubrication matters depending on the application.

Lots of fancy products have emerged over the years but sometimes you just can't beat the basics. Regular servicing is paramount to anything of course.

20/06/2021 08:59:40

Ordinary LM grease is quite adequate for the purpose. If there's no seal in the assembly, it would be prudent to check more regularly than 17 years if the machine is used regularly and speed is a concern if you run for long periods.

The amount of grease is very important to bearing life. Pack the cone fully to ensure grease is where it's needed, particularly at the thrust end of the rollers. The easy way to do this is by putting a quantity of grease in the palm of your hand and rolling the cone through it until all the voids are full.

Thread: GigaFactory
15/06/2021 09:10:18
Posted by Michael Gilligan on 15/06/2021 06:53:25:

Mind-boggling development : **LINK**

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-57382472?xtor=ES-208-[44865_NEWS_NLB_ACT_WK25_Tue_15_Jun]-20210614-[bbcnews_batteries_newsworld_sweden]

Battery factory … tucked-away in the woods angel

MichaelG.

And Britain's answer is..........destroy Coventry Airport together with all the established industries located therein and cover it with a Gigafactory!!

Thread: Centec 2a vertical head shaft bearings.
06/05/2021 08:03:09
Posted by Phil Matthews on 05/05/2021 20:29:28:

Hi

Thanks for your help Dave. I have managed to make a bit of progress today. Very carefully putting a tapered brass drift down the hole under the grease nipple moved the outer shell a bit, and then a couple of hours of making up some brass levers and using them etc got it out. For future reference, the bearing is a Timken, numbered 03062 on the inner race, 03162 on the outer. I think the front one is the same but I haven't cleaned the filthy grease off yet.

Better lighting revealed a second grub screw at a 9 o'clock position at the front, which allowed access to the front bearing. Just waiting for the parts now.

Is there a reason why Dewhurst switches aren't good at on/off?

You've done it now but it's not good practice to use a brass drift to knock out bearings. Any small bits of brass left from the drift and not removed completely will ruin your new bearings. Use steel as it's much less likely to chip and won't hurt a hardened bearing. This was a golden rule when I was an apprentice at British Timken.

Edited By RMA on 06/05/2021 08:10:12

Thread: Is this a new scam?
30/04/2021 22:38:06
Posted by not done it yet on 30/04/2021 21:52:19:
Posted by Bizibilder on 30/04/2021 18:11:20:

Yes Ebay are changing the way you have to manage the funds when you sell goods - It is not a scam - check your Ebay messages to find out the details. Whether you are prepared to give Ebay access to your bank account is an entirely personal choice dont know !

Apparently Paypal is still good for buying from Ebay.

BUT, how do you know that email is not a scam? Seems very much like it could be one, if asking for any personal details. If an email asks for any such details, it is a potential scam in my book. I only believe it if it arrives in my ebay messages.

Just check your messages on your ebay account. That' what I did because I thought it was a scam at first. The bank details they ask for are just for paying in so that shouldn't be a problem.

Thread: Bassett-Lowke
18/04/2021 20:42:38
Posted by Nigel Graham 2 on 16/04/2021 09:48:47:

What this revealed is that Bassett-Lowke was not a manufacturing concern but primarily a retailer of both other's products (including Marklin and Bing), and of ones it commissioned from a number of other companies.

In its early days it was particularly noted for waterline scale models of merchant and naval ships, evidently faithful enough for the Armed Services to use the larger scales for ship-recognition training. These were all made by contractors.

It raises an interesting question Wiki does not address. Who actually designed and built the live-steam locomotives, up to 15" gauge, sold under the Basset-Lowke name?

What is fact did B-L make?

'

BL did manufacture things. One of my older brothers worked there for a time after leaving the Northampton Technical College. They had a showroom in Kingswell Street, Northampton, and a workshop where my brother used to help make the steam locomotives. As a young boy I used to drool over the displays in their showroom. I haven't lived in Northampton for many years and I think the location has long since disappeared.

Unfortunately a lot of brand names have been bought and used for products which bear little resemblance to the original.

Thread: Club Constitution
11/04/2021 08:47:59
Posted by Brian Pritchard on 10/04/2021 10:04:13:

I am engaged in applying for a Covid 19 grant for our Club. I have been told that they require Dissolution and Asset Lock in our constitution. We don't have a mention of this. Can anybody advise me as to what their club has in their constitution or correct wording .

Thanks

Brian

There seems to be several Covid grants available, can you please say which grant you're applying for? Thanks

Thread: Electric Smart Meters
01/04/2021 10:07:33

I just had an email, in a rather authoritarian tone, from my supplier requesting an appointment be made to fit smart meters. I promptly replied with my refusal and reasons for that decision, and they instantly came back and said that's fine. The simple answer is, you don't have to have them, not in the UK anyway!

The decision to go down this route, with unattainable deadlines was made by 'not so smart' politicians. If anyone can give me a sound reason for the consumer having one, I'd be pleased to hear it.

They were fitted to every household a couple of years back in Spain (in an amazing short time span), by order of the government and I have no idea what benefit I get from it. It has no effect on the extortionate standing charge and tax element to the bill! It only benefits the company supplying the electricity by reading meters remotely.

Every property is already fitted with a smart meter alternative, it's called a switch!

Thread: Kingscale 5" models
27/03/2021 11:34:28

As a customer of Kingscale I would like to say that their approach to business, customer support and contact is second to none! I wish all companies were the same.

IanT is right, they do use 3D CAD, Solidworks from memory and they have sent me the details that I requested, which were for information really and not for me to make components. I wouldn't expect them to supply a complete set of drawings!

Anyone thinking of buying from them shouldn't hesitate as each model is made in short batches. The detail is quite spectacular and to try and make anything similar in your own workshop would take forever.

27/03/2021 09:47:07
Posted by Philip Durrell on 13/02/2021 12:41:28:

Hi there all. There doesn't appear to be much going on re the Kingscale 5 inch loco's on this site but I feel it deserves to be updated. I recently took delivery of one of their 5 inch gauge Black 5's and after a while in store ran one of the tank engines they produced. This was an exercise for the boilier inspector at our club before he went through the hydralic tests. The engines were excellent. They ran very very well once a couple of small issues were sorted (sticking cylinder cocks, stiff hand pump etc). The standard on the new engines is a lot, lot better and I would not say there was anything to say about them other than they are very good indeed. For the price and what you get excellent. I am happy to share any experiences with them.

Hi. I sent you 2 pm's last month which you haven't picked up. If you read this can you have a look and reply? Many thanks

Thread: New car - or is it a wheeled computer?
26/03/2021 15:25:16
Posted by Journeyman on 26/03/2021 14:21:42:

A digital toaster simply makes toast either uncooked or charcoal ie. 0 or 1

John

How true! Mine should have come with a chimney......loads of smoke rising from my teacake!

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate