By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for vintage engineer

Here is a list of all the postings vintage engineer has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: New storage space
05/04/2020 23:50:54

In my workshop I used council slabs on top of slammed mot. They have moved in 10 years of driving cars on them.

Thread: Wow, what a battery
04/04/2020 10:41:46

27 PP3 batteries will give you 243 volts dc!

Posted by Nigel Graham 2 on 04/04/2020 00:07:20:

I once worked for a small electronics company that made a lot of equipment for Government labs, the Royal Navy etc. One year it gained a couple of contracts for making some special test-equipment for the old Central Electricity Generating Board's R&D lab, and our designer visited the customer to discuss what was needed.

he returned very impressed with two things he saw on a tour he was given. One was a flash-over test on a 132kV transmission-tower ("pylon" insulator. The other was a battery made to give a high direct voltage at very low current and even less noise to drive for some particular experiment. It consisted of a great stack of PP9 cells all linked in series!

Thread: Alexander/Deckel Mill
02/04/2020 19:30:45

Does anyone have plans or drawings for making a riser block for the vertical head?

Thread: New design of mains plug?
30/03/2020 17:58:46

Doesn't CE stand for China Export?

Thread: Websites for the Bored
27/03/2020 22:54:25

Well Rolls Royce Cars are and they are made in Germany.

Posted by duncan webster on 26/03/2020 22:48:16:

Rolls Royce Power Systems appears to be a German company, Rolls Royce Power Systems AG, headquarters in Friedrichshaven

Thread: Silver soldering zinc plated steel
21/03/2020 00:00:31

Metal fume fever can be fatal! Metal fume fever

20/03/2020 19:24:34

Malt vinegar saturated with table salt will remove zinc over night.

Thread: New storage space
07/03/2020 19:40:33

I did a similar thing. I just bolted a length of channel section to wall on both sides, then removed them after fitting a lintel,

Thread: Powder coating
07/03/2020 19:35:35

At the end of the day YOU may call it what you like but it is plastic and it's cheap nasty crap product.

Try looking at the bottom of road sign posts and you will see how bad it is. The only finish that lasts on exterior steel work is galvanising!

Posted by thaiguzzi on 05/03/2020 14:41:16:
Posted by Joseph Noci 1 on 04/03/2020 06:43:41:
Posted by thaiguzzi on 04/03/2020 06:24:33:
Posted by vintage engineer on 03/03/2020 09:27:35:

Powder coating is a plastic coating despite what everyone tell you. It is a cheap and quick process that gives an excellent finish for manufacturers and does not last and will fail as soon as you break the surface!

Utter tosh.

And it is NOT PLASTIC coating.

Go and see how it is applicated in a finishing shop or factory, or even, heaven, forbid, watch a YT video.

Jeez.

Now THAT is close to utter Tosh! Really no need for such a frothy , esp if your facts are awry...

Of course it is a 'plastic' . That may be a loosely used generic term, but it fits.

a sound description:

There are two main categories of powder coating: thermosets and thermoplastics. The thermosetting variety incorporates a cross-linker into the formulation. When the powder is baked, it reacts with other chemical groups in the powder to polymerize, improving the performance properties. The thermoplastic variety does not undergo any additional actions during the baking process as it flows to form the final coating.

The most common polymers used are polyesters, polyurethanes, polyester-epoxies (known as hybrids).The latter is not common for general use, eg, garden furniture, household white goods, street signs, etc, but most often used in Marine and hi-demand/cost applications.

And as Model Engineers all know, polyesters, polyurethanes, etc fall under the category of engineering PLASTICS..

(jeez..)

Edited By Joseph Noci 1 on 04/03/2020 06:53:04

Whatever.

Was the other part he quoted utter tosh or not?

I would call powder coating powder, not plastic myself, but hey each to his own.

I aint that pedantic. Nor frothy.

03/03/2020 09:27:35

Powder coating is a plastic coating despite what everyone tell you. It is a cheap and quick process that gives an excellent finish for manufacturers and does not last and will fail as soon as you break the surface!

Thread: Coal being phased out
01/03/2020 09:52:51

All inert gases are asphyxiant gases in the right concentrations. I remember when Halon was replaced with Inergen gas which was much safer to humans as it still contained oxygen.

Helium has been used in the USA to kill people as it leaves no trace and undetectable!

Posted by Hopper on 01/03/2020 05:55:29:

Nasty stuff that CO2. It killed these three people and put others in hospital. CO2 DEATHS

Albeit at about one million PPM.

29/02/2020 19:36:43

Funny how commercial tomato growers have to increase co2 levels to 1000ppm to achieve viable crops?

Posted by SillyOldDuffer on 29/02/2020 18:41:53:
Posted by vintage engineer on 29/02/2020 18:13:41:

Well if the green idiots get there way we will all die out anyway, but we will leave a barren lifeless planet behind. If we reduce the earth's co2 level below 300ppm most of the plants will die out!

If we had the technology to reduce CO2 levels by 50ppm, there would be no need to worry about climate change! As it is, CO2 is out of control.

Ice core records show CO2 levels wobbling just below 300ppm for the last 800,000 years. Then they show the level rising sharply since industrialisation, up to about 420ppm last year and accelerating. It's an awful big difference to make to the atmosphere in only 250 years. Carbon Dioxide being odourless and invisible doesn't help - the problem would be much easier to accept if the air turned black and car tyres dissolved in rain water!

Curious thing noted at today's family 'do': although the elders don't care about global warming, they're terrified by Coronavirus...

Dave

29/02/2020 18:13:41

Well if the green idiots get there way we will all die out anyway, but we will leave a barren lifeless planet behind. If we reduce the earth's co2 level below 300ppm most of the plants will die out!

Thread: Horn plates bowed when adding rivets
29/02/2020 10:44:43

I would suggest the side you hammered has stretched and is fractionally longer.

Thread: Deep hole "D" bit advice needed.
24/02/2020 23:53:37

Shaped charge explosive?

Thread: Coal being phased out
23/02/2020 19:04:01
Posted by Anthony Knights on 22/02/2020 07:55:55:

What happens to the smoke that is not in "smokeless"coal?

It goes into the atmosphere at the factory and no one worries about it!

22/02/2020 21:03:19

Wickes are selling off their coal. 10kg bags £2 each. Offer ends Monday

21/02/2020 19:59:19

There is no such thing as smokeless coal, they are just hiding the smoke and burning wood only releases the CO2 that the tree absorbed whilst growing. I shall continue to burn logs and coal!

Thread: New Nimrods arriving
04/02/2020 19:29:00

Should put the Russians in their place!

Thread: Painting
25/01/2020 11:07:37

Sounds like zinctec steel.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate