By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for David Standing 1

Here is a list of all the postings David Standing 1 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Cast iron cabinet theft
10/10/2019 10:58:42
Posted by Brian Wood on 10/10/2019 10:42:16:

On a side note, we lost our black wheelie bin some months ago, complete with it's contents. That did seem rather bizarre; I would have expected the rubbish to be tipped on our driveway or in the hedge at the side; it had all gone.

Brian

They frequently go in the back of the wagon accidentally, on bin day. Once in, they don't come out again!

Thread: At last - no more chattering when parting off!
07/10/2019 09:07:35
Posted by Pete Rimmer on 07/10/2019 08:50:00:

That's nearly as bad as that idiot Steve Jordan's idea of lapping lathe slides by hand - and then having to put two locking screws on his compound when he's realised that he's ruined it, and called that an 'upgrade' too.

I just looked at that. Oh my word! And commentators on the video are praising him! surprise

07/10/2019 08:55:21

Darwin Award contender!

Thread: Has to be seen to be believed
05/10/2019 08:57:48

If Stevie Wonder did boilermaking.......wink

Thread: Which Lathe
02/10/2019 14:40:55

First advice is that two of those (the eBay ones) are sourced from China. How do you return them if they are faulty?

As to the other choices, as you appear to be limited/guided/dictated by budget, surely only you can decide where to stop your limit?

Thread: Cutting tools - what type is most suitable?
29/09/2019 18:59:27

I suspect you are currently having the thought of 'how do I post photographs'..........wink

You need to create an album, put your photographs in it, and post them from there.

Thread: How to repair old King Dick socket extension?
28/09/2019 09:17:04
Posted by bugbear6502 on 28/09/2019 09:10:08:

Thanks to all for the constructive comments. As soon as I get the Adnam's mini keg emptied and off my bench (don't want to stir up the yeast), I will attempt to press out the insert, and proceed to repairing it.

BugBear

Best excuse of 2019 so far! laugh

Thread: cutter slippage using ER series collets
28/09/2019 09:12:18

Also make sure there is NO swarf whatsoever in the slots of the collet, this can cause it to bind and not tighten as much as required, particularly if the shank/collet combination is that you are closing the slots up to the minimum (such as a 16mm shank in a 17-16mm collet).

Wherever possible I always use the smallest size ER collet possible, rather than 1mm bigger and trying to close it down to the minimum.

Thread: Anthropocene
21/09/2019 18:13:28

And an observation, not politically motivated either, in his own words he travels the globe taking images - thus adding to the same impact humans have on the planet, that he captures in his images!

Thread: Ebay site changes for the worst
18/09/2019 18:35:56
Posted by Neil Wyatt on 18/09/2019 00:18:39:

The best technique is to wait until about three seconds from he auction closing, and bid what you genuinely feel is the most the item is worth to you.

if someone beats that using a 'sniping' program, good luck to them.

Neil

Exactly how I bid, and it frequently works. I bid so late I can't up my maximum bid if outbid, even if I want to, because I probably shouldn't! laugh

Thread: Picador Grinding Wheel Flanges
14/09/2019 16:43:17

I had suspicions about the wheel washers on my bench grinder, due to a vibration that wasn't cured by replacing the abrasive wheels. I took the pressed steel washers off, put them on the milling machine, and took a truing skim off the outer face to bring them parallel.

Thread: THIN cutting oil - Suds alternative?
12/09/2019 15:16:53

Michael

That was one of the ones I looked at. As you will know probably better than me, product sheets often raise more questions than they answer! blush

12/09/2019 14:01:10

Michael

I too, out of curiosity, searched for product sheets before posting my first post, but none I found adequately explained what ISO grade the lubricant oil component was.

12/09/2019 12:26:31
Posted by Tony Pratt 1 on 12/09/2019 11:58:35:

You can obviously use any oil as a cutting fluid but Neatcut et al are meant to be specially formulated for specific purposes, bit like putting cheapo oil from Wilko in your high performance racing spec car, it will run but for how long?

Tony

There are, of course, many different grades of hydraulic oil (including those used in aircraft control systems), but I suspect that a good grade hydraulic oil is probably a better spec that your average neatcut oil, not the other way round!

12/09/2019 11:28:10
Posted by Tony Pratt 1 on 12/09/2019 10:59:45:

I also use 'Neatcut' (Google it).

I have a suspicion that Neatcut labelled up by various suppliers is nothing but ISO 32 hydraulic oil.

One would hope not!

Tony

Why not? ISO 32 hydraulic oil is actually a good cheap general cutting lubricant for steel.

12/09/2019 10:49:11
Posted by Lainchy on 12/09/2019 09:39:56:

I've searched the forums, and found solid answer, each preferring their own solution. I guess I'm looking for a neat, thin, coolant that doesn't cause any of the fore mentioned pitfalls.

I know WD40 isn't a lubricant, but what about GT85? That IS supposed to be a lubricant. Is there a product that anyone recommends that can be used as a coolant / cutting spray that can assist drilling (since that's what we used it for on the course)

Ta

On steel, for turning/milling, I often cut it dry. Depends on circumstances.

If I feel I need to use a lubricant I am currently using Ambersil Tufcut, just because I have a bottle sitting around.

I also use 'Neatcut' (Google it).

I have a suspicion that Neatcut labelled up by various suppliers is nothing but ISO 32 hydraulic oil.

I have a very low general opinion of today's formulation of WD40.  Jack of all trades, master of none.  The lubricant content is a mere 5%.

It is, however useful as a lubricant for aluminium (as is paraffin, which is much cheaper).

I have GT85, but I use that as a mountain bike lubricant!

Basically, the more well known branded product, the more you will pay for it, and you don't need to.

Edited By David Standing 1 on 12/09/2019 10:53:00

Thread: Any one used a digital microscope for micro turning on a lathe
07/09/2019 23:38:26

Oh dear. Good luck wherever your travels may take you next smiley

Thread: Why does the micrometer have a second knurled segment
07/09/2019 20:03:09
Posted by Meunier on 07/09/2019 19:40:08:
Posted by David Standing 1 on 07/09/2019 11:20:19:
Posted by Daniel on 06/09/2019 21:11:05:

I don't think so, David

Thanks Daniel, but I was rather hoping the OP would answer the question smiley

DS1, based on his cryptic comment previously, perhaps the OP may no longer see your question(s) ?
DaveD

Dave

Possibly, who knows?! - the OP has never responded to any of my posts directly, when I was trying to help.

If you are suggesting he may have blocked me, fine, his choice, I don't have a problem with that yes

07/09/2019 11:20:19
Posted by Daniel on 06/09/2019 21:11:05:

I don't think so, David

Thanks Daniel, but I was rather hoping the OP would answer the question smiley

06/09/2019 15:15:55
Posted by Chris TickTock on 06/09/2019 10:32:32

Just look at the responses to this post the humour is perfectly acceptable but other comments not so. Frankly I see no escuse for rudeness but online forums seem to give cover to the coward who uses rudesness from a distance and huddles together with those of similar disposition. Most here are fine those that spoil for a fight don't bother answering my posts...it really won't bother me.

Chris

I'm not sure if this was pointed at me or not?

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate