By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for pgk pgk

Here is a list of all the postings pgk pgk has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Where to start?
14/11/2014 19:55:58

Hello folks.

I hardly know where to start with this list of questions ..let alone with the hobby embarrassed so lets try and dive in...

I retired 3yrs ago, bought this hobby farm near Llanfyllin and spend my time 'pratting' about - plenty to do just keeping the place half tidy.

I have no background in metalwork or engineering apart from my old day job did include orthopaedics and as a generally cautious guy, like most of you I've always done the house diy.

I commissioned a hobby shed here that would have been way too much for a solo build. Insulated concrete base, timber framework with UPVC cladding, 4" celcon insulation and ply lined with a lightweight ally faux tile roof, double glazed windows and dual doubleglazed upvc doors. I have some woodland so a woodburner was installed too. It's about 22 x 12 feet and already way too small.

I made up a length of kitchen style units and cupboards and worktop out of mdf 800mm deep the length of one wall. Woodworking stuff could be shoved aside when not in use to gain some space.

So now the questions start:

If I gave myself a budget of , say, £6K how would you kit out for metal-cutting playtime (with no specific project in mind). I've been reading and watching vids on the web for some 3 years so this isn't just a whim. The aim is to teach myself techniques, be able to fix stuff, make some of the simple parts for my r/c helis etc - certainly make some of the ancilliary tooling. I'm thinking mostly metric.

I have a tomek grinder and a bench belt sander. So we look at this as 'machines' - lathe, mill, power saw, bandsaw...?

'Measuring stuff' - micrometers, callipers, surface plate (or just a ceramic floor tile?) guages...?

'fundamental tooling' -..?? a basic kit with other sizes bought as needed.

'others' - perhaps should be under tooling ..Heavier duty soldering than my current lowly stuff.....(I actually have a small arc welder boxed and unused as yet to play/learn with 'cos stuff breaks on a farm)...?

Pros and cons of 'new' metal compared to scrap corroded stuff (I drink with a local scrappy).

I'm thinking new rather than used.. mostly cos I haven't any experience in assessing such machines. I don't make decisions fast, I like value for money and I usually warn suppliers than I'm a tough guy to deal with - do they want to?. And can i get a deal on multiple purchase?

Anyone here local to me?

Sorry that's a long post - and likely the first of many. How would you spend that budget to best efficiency? Oh and it may ahve to include thinsg like engine crane or hire to muscle stuff into my shed.

I do have a tractor with loader bucket to help move stuff (best take bucket off and straps on the arms/) but there's still a step to get over etc.

Opinions appreciated,

pgk

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate