By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for thaiguzzi

Here is a list of all the postings thaiguzzi has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Percolated coffee
24/03/2018 14:33:49
Posted by XD 351 on 22/03/2018 14:31:41:

Taste even better with a dash of rum in it !

Tastes even better with a shot of Ameretto in it!

Thread: First Milling Machine
24/03/2018 14:12:28
Posted by Speedy Builder5 on 23/03/2018 17:06:40:

If only I needed a second mill !! I would certainly make a punt on this one.
**LINK**

BobH

Just looked at that. If that goes for less than a grand, somebody has got a bargain.

Thread: Levelling a lathe..yes that old chestnut again
24/03/2018 13:59:52
Posted by Speedy Builder5 on 22/03/2018 08:11:50:

Quite impressive, but the surface finish doesn't look so good. I think I would attend to surface finish before I made other adjustments for run-out.
BobH

I'm sorry to have to agree. That finish is appalling. To such a degree it probably affects "tenths" in a reading.

Thread: Scrap yards
24/03/2018 13:54:31

We don't have Elf and Safety here.

You break a leg, chop your fingers off - your fault.

We also still have scrapyards where the public can route around.

Marvelous.

Thread: What did you do Today 2018
22/03/2018 06:49:18
Posted by Windy on 20/03/2018 18:17:22:

A lousy wet start to Elvington top speed meeting but what a surprise I had.

A team from the Isle of Man was there with a steam bike that had only run around an industrial site.

First run was over 49mph the next run over 72mpf the last run something went wrong so could not run.

It had data logger and many electronic control systems the engine was fairly conventional with a flash type generator.

.Engine

Steam bike

That is fascinating! Looks initially like a Moto Guzzi derived steam engine.

Thread: Your Facebook information
22/03/2018 06:35:28

What's Facebook?

Thread: Holzmann grinders/polishing machine
18/03/2018 14:15:01

Depends what you are polishing. M/C, car parts etc, i would want at least 2hp. You can pick up good S/H Brit brand name 3 hp, 3 phase polishers ready to work for 150-200 quid.

Thread: Top slide std positioning
13/03/2018 16:47:45

So, it's a score draw at half time then....

Thread: First Milling Machine
12/03/2018 14:14:44
Posted by Zan on 11/03/2018 21:36:09:

1 go fir R8 spindle releasing a Morse taper is difficult and it wasn't designed fir milling it's a locking taper and in a mill spindle boy does it lock my 2mt (below) even with a special ejector was a sod to remove or bash it out with a hammer , bad news.

2 vdf drives are on both my mills, both lathes and drill. Wouldn't be without them

3 I did have a Rishton very similar to the emco but latter has the ekevating handle in an aquard place. But both have round columns. Avoid these

4 DR O straightforward to fit esp the new breed og pf very compact magnetic versions my 3 dro are glass/ ball and bulky

5 if possible view the machines, the spec can lie to you hands on needed

Strange.

My Tom Senior M1 has a 30INT in the horizontal spindle and a 2MT in the vertical S quill feed head. I've had tooling in and out of that 2MT spindle 1000's of times. Never had one stuck. Ever. Slight tap with a brass hammer and the taper is released.

Back to the OP - just my 5 Baht's worth - get a mill with a knee.

Thread: Top slide std positioning
12/03/2018 07:57:15

4:0 Blimey.

12/03/2018 06:21:12

My top slide is used only for facing work. For normal work it is set parallel to the bed and is spot on. Also the Bison (Dickson copy) is always square as the location peg is accurately located in a hole in the top slide.

The top slide only gets moved for screw cutting or short tapers (up to MT2). It is also never in the way of the tailstock.

Thanx for the initial replies, 3 so far in favour of a set over topslide...

Perhaps someone will chime in re cutting forces re positioning. We all know a solid block in place of a top slide gives more rigidity.

12/03/2018 06:12:37
Posted by Thor on 12/03/2018 04:45:24:

As John and David I use the carriage or cross slide for most of the turning operations. I set the top slide to about 6 deg. from the lathe centre line so when I advance the top slide get a very fine feed when reducing the diameter of the work. I use between 29 and 30 deg. when screwcutting.

Thor

Indeed. 5 odd degrees, and a 1 thou mark on the dial = a tenth of a thou cut. Old turner's trick.

12/03/2018 02:59:52

All my lathes over the years, big Colchesters to current Boxford VSL have had the top slide (compound to 'Mercans) in the std British and European position of parallel to the bed. Only moved for screwcutting to the usual 29 and 27.5 degees etc.

I notice in all the American books, manuals, and videos i watch, virtually every lathe owner/operator has the topslide set permanently for screwcutting.

I also see that many use a Travadial or DTI for carriage movement for facing etc, as the topslide is not parallel to the bedways.

Is this just how they are taught, are there advantages for the topslide not being parallel to the ways? I personally think that cutting forces, are probably better in this position, especially parting off, as the forces are going (nearly) through the leadscrew rather than against it and the dovetail sides.

Just been thinking of adding a second locating hole for the Bison QCTP with the topslide set over.

Your thoughts?

Thread: Motorcycle General Discussion
12/03/2018 02:43:05
Posted by Gordon W on 11/03/2018 09:57:19:

Better still with a good engine-- Vincent twin.

Not disagreeing with you, the Vincent motor certainly has the "aura", the looks and the "prestige".

However, the 1200cc all alloy Evo motors available since the mid 80's produce 70 bhp and 70 Ibs foot torque pretty much stock (carb/pipe mods) and 90 bhp reliably with a little mild tuning.

They also have a gearbox and clutch that work consistently, parts are cheap and available everywhere, and are extremely easy to maintain (no valve clearances to adjust).

They are also available at probably a 1/10th of the cost.

The "everyman" motor compared to the "exotica" for the few...

11/03/2018 06:33:58

Always liked the Sportster motor in a Featherbed frame. Fills the space nicely, and, IMHO looks a better fit than any Brit parallel twin. Just looks "right".

Thread: Automotive Products, Leamington
10/03/2018 09:25:45
Posted by Otley on 06/03/2018 12:12:17:

I had a thorough workshop tidy-up recently and came across this bench vice. I gave it a bit of a clean and took a photo. It was made from solid chunks of steel in the apprentice workshop at Automotive Products at Leamington, where I spent some time at the start of my engineering career back in the seventies. Just wondered if there was any one else on here worked there?

The apprentice workshop was one of the best equipped I've ever seen and is a sad loss.

p1000615.jpg

That is really nice!

Thread: Motorcycle General Discussion
04/03/2018 04:28:45

She was wrong! I'm a biker and i never grew up. Still as daft as ever...

Thread: homemade tool & cutter grinder (step by step)
03/03/2018 06:21:39

Nicely done. THE T&CG, and the videos. Impressive stuff, well shot, well edited and (unusually for me), the music is well in synch with the visuals. Normally hate music on motorcycle or machining vids, but not here.

Thread: new to the hobby - first lathe
03/03/2018 06:04:40
Posted by not done it yet on 02/03/2018 13:31:09:

Hello Nigel,

... A Raglan would appear to be another contender btw, ...

I like Raglans. Far better value than a myford, IMO.

I guess one downside is their weight. A Raglan weighs in at 3 1/2 cwt, according to the manual - that is about 175kg. But taking off the easily-removed heavy bits reduces that weight somewhat. I load and unload a Raglan, by myself, to and from a citroen saxo (the stand is not included in this) in spite of my age and health. Removing the motor, tailstock, apron, saddle, end cover and chuck does not take that long. Lifting onto a stand can present a few problems when working on your own.

I’ve never owned a myford and don’t expect I ever will.

After using a lathe with a QCGB, I would not want to revert to change wheels, but change wheels only need more time.

So, slow down a bit and don’t just jump in for the apparently expensive, but popular, myford. There are alternatives - even buying new.

Even a Drummond,the ‘precursor’ to the myford,mmay well do all you need.

+1. Wot he said. Very eloquently.

Signed,

Boxford owner.

Thread: What did you do Today 2018
03/03/2018 05:43:05
Posted by Mick Henshall on 02/03/2018 13:34:55:

Went out to workshop yesterday and within 5 minutes couldn't feel my hands,managed an hour and had to retire,tried again today with the same result and just started light snowing again, but looks like rain on the way.left a tap dribbling in bathroom the result is outflow pipe froze up topped sink up lucky I went to ablute this morning, got the birds fed and have plenty of them in garden

Mick Dorset

Yawn.

Went out to the workshop today, 25C inside, 35C outside, clear blue skies. Same as the day before. And the day before that. And......

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate