By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for John Baron

Here is a list of all the postings John Baron has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Workholding Problem
12/09/2021 08:27:35

Dr_GMJN,

Mount the part on an expanding mandrel !

I've done this many times ! Turn a mandrel the right diameter and a good fit in the workpiece bore. Slit it at the free end first. Then use a small wood screw or other tapered screw to expand a slit in the end once the piece is on.

A blind bore is more difficult and really needs a collet chuck to make the mandrel ! The same principle applies but you have to be able to expand the mandrel from the chuck end, which means drilling right through and using a pull rod to expand a taper.

Edit: Spelling.

Edited By John Baron on 12/09/2021 08:30:04

Thread: Cutting Steel Plate.
11/09/2021 20:41:04
Posted by J Hancock on 11/09/2021 17:07:18:

Just a thought , the local 'gypsies' ?

That's a thought, there is a settlement not too far from me. Its worth a word with them.

Thanks.

11/09/2021 14:42:38
Posted by Nicholas Farr on 11/09/2021 12:07:12:

Hi John, I would probably do it with a 9" and cutting discs, as I don't have any gas axe options, a photo or a sketch of what you have would help in knowing what you are trying to achieve and the best way to tackle it.

Regards Nick.

Edited By Nicholas Farr on 11/09/2021 12:07:52

Hi Nick,

Thanks for your suggestions ! I've had a go with a 9" inch angle grinder, and whilst it does remove metal, its slow and painful.

The actual tower base is basically an 8" inch square vertical steel tube welded to a 3/4" thick 5 foot square steel plate with four 1/2" thick steel gussets welded from the tube corners to the base corners. They are welded on both sides of the gusset and along the full length of the gusset.

The Gas Axe suggestion is the best option at the moment. But I don't have one either !

11/09/2021 12:07:01
Posted by John Rudd on 11/09/2021 12:00:06:
Posted by John Baron on 11/09/2021 11:36:11:
Posted by noel shelley on 11/09/2021 10:18:29:

Sounds like fun ! Where are you ? Noel

Hi Noel,

I'm in North Yorkshire, near York.

You aren't cutting up the 'lightning struck' Bilsdale tv mast are you? laugh

No that mast is a bit taller than 75 foot !

Thread: To laser cut or to water cut
11/09/2021 12:03:07

Hi Guys,

The people that have done laser cutting for me, require that you submit a DXF file along with material specifications. Depending upon what jobs they already have, they can add your job to an existing one, particularly if you are prepared to wait a little ! This will also reduce the cost considerably because they don't have to set up the machine just for your job. You can get a lot of pieces out of a sheet of plate.

11/09/2021 11:51:21
Posted by JasonB on 11/09/2021 10:19:40:

Gas Axe or a decent size plasma cutter.

If you do take the lunch option mentioned above make sure you go at least 75 feet away from the tower to get it but hopefully it's not erected.

Hi Jason,

Yes it would be bad if it fell on me !

However it has been taken down and cut up for scrap some time ago. There is only the support post and base there now. Makes a good support for the wife's washing line though ! I did offer the tower for sale without any takers ! Even saying that it was free to anyone that was prepared to dismantle it and take it away.

The Gas Axe suggestion is favourite, trying to grind away four foot of weld isn't my idea of fun !

The metal plate is considered to be scrap, though a two foot triangular piece of 1/2" inch galvanised steel plate could be useful I suppose.

11/09/2021 11:36:11
Posted by noel shelley on 11/09/2021 10:18:29:

Sounds like fun ! Where are you ? Noel

Hi Noel,

I'm in North Yorkshire, near York.

Thread: To laser cut or to water cut
11/09/2021 09:19:13

Hi Ja,

Laser cut will likely produce a very hard surface where the laser has gone through, water cutting doesn't do that.

If its something that you would need to file or otherwise clean up then you would grind the laser cut surface.

11/09/2021 09:09:52

Hi Guys,

I'm looking for recommendations for cutting a 1/2" thick steel plate !

I need to remove the support webs from a 75' foot tower base !

Forgot to add these are seam welded on and the plate is approx 2 foot by 2 foot.

Edited By John Baron on 11/09/2021 09:23:20

Thread: Wall Chart
24/07/2021 17:16:13

Hi Derek,

Cromwells do a free on request A3 size one on a paper backing,

Worth a phone call !

Thread: Old lathe tools
22/07/2021 08:02:19

Hi Dan, Guys,

I would pinch the knurls from the push knurling tool and make a pinch or scissor type tool to use them on. The knurls on those are usually good quality ones !

Thread: Setting up rear parting tool properly
22/07/2021 07:57:16

Hi Guys,

This is a picture of my "Norman" patent rear tool holder with a 12mm X 2mm blade in a holder. It is horizontal and set exactly at centre height. The tool holder can be used on the front tool post as well.

31-07-2019x002.jpg

Thread: 12 volt motor speed controller
19/07/2021 20:15:50

Hi John, Guys,

When I built my window screen wiper motor driven mill table drive, I used a variable voltage lab type power supply. Mine supplies 30 volts at 3 amps. I just use the whole 30 volts for fast traverse and around 7 volts for actual milling.

My direction control is via a tumbler gear very similar to the one found on a Myford lathe, giving me forward/stop/ and reverse directions.

mill-table-drive.jpg

This is a picture of mine mounted on the left hand side of the table. I just pull the white knob out and lift or lower the lever to select the direction or neutral. It also has the advantage that I can still use the handwheel at the other end when neutral is selected.

All the gears were salvaged from printers. photocopiers and the like. The motor unit is a "Trico" one salvaged from the local scrapyard.

Thread: Taps and Dies
14/07/2021 13:48:27
Posted by Michael Gilligan on 14/07/2021 06:17:06:

Thanks for that, John Baron

All looks good yes

Have you bought any screw pitch gauges from them ?

… I feel the urge to treat myself to a set.

**LINK**

MichaelG.

Edited By Michael Gilligan on 14/07/2021 06:31:39

Hi Michael,

Yes I bought a metric set from them quite some time ago ! Good quality, but I didn't pay today's price, in fact if I remember correctly only about £4.00 + vat, vat was only 15% then.

14/07/2021 04:59:29

I've started to buy my taps and dies from

www.avontapdie.co.uk

Good quality HSS UK made.

No relationship just a happy customer.

Thread: Can't get the hang of HSS!
13/07/2021 16:31:02

The tool on the right is too sharp and pointed for brass.

I would use a round nose, maybe 1/2 mm radius with zero rake on the top and left side and about 10 degrees on the front.

I do agree that in the second picture it looks like a very fine thread !

Thread: Tool post height
12/07/2021 15:46:25

Hi Guys,

I agree with the comments that Tangential lathe tools are quite easy to male and use. I made one quite a while ago.

Easy to set up and easy to sharpen. You get a good finish too.

This is a drawing of one that I made. Just scale to suit whatever HSS or carbide you want to use.

tangentel tool.jpg

09-06-2020-014.jpg

09-06-2020-015.jpg

09-06-2020-017.jpg

As you can see the finish is not too bad.

09-06-2020-016.jpg

Certainly better than my photography smile

Thread: Power feeds for Chinese mills
12/07/2021 15:25:49
Posted by duncan webster on 12/07/2021 11:42:34:

Many moons ago I made a drive for the Naerok miller using a DC motor and a train of gears. This had two disadvantages:

1. When the cut started and more load went on the motor it all slowed down, by quite a lot, in fact if set for a very slow feed it would just stop.. I can wax lyrical about why, but not here
  2. you had to disconnect the drive to do manual feed.

I overcame the first by incorporating a feedback loop. I suspect people using windscreen wiper motors just have a lot of oomph to spare so it doesn't slow down as much.

The setup on my Centec uses a stepper with tooth belt drive. It is so much easier. If you use one of the pulse generator things referred to above it is just buy some bits, make up a mounting bracket, join the bits together and go. No need for a clutch, just wind the motor round. No need to know anything technical about steppers or controllers. Mine is a bit cleverer as it incorporates acceleration ramps

Hi Duncan,

I made mine using a car window screen wiper motor. They just don't stop, at all ! They are amazingly powerful.

I actually twisted the centre out of the primary gear on mine by forgetting that I had locked the table. Fortunately I had a spare gear.

I drive mine from a 3 amp 30 volt variable voltage power supply. Usually at about 7 volts. But I have put the full 30 volts on the motor several times for rapid feed without any issue.

Thread: Tool post height
08/07/2021 20:35:29

Hi Guys,

Just in case there are those that don't know what the "Norman" patent tool post looks like. This is the one that I made and use. The tool slot will hold a 1/2" inch tool and the height is adjusted by altering the silver M6 cap screw that bears on the surface below. The tool holder is secured by a spilt cotter using an M6 thread. It takes about a quarter of a turn on the cotter screw to go from locked to loose.

25-09-2018-006.jpg

Drawings for the Myford size one are in my album !

08/07/2021 15:17:34
Posted by Tony Pratt 1 on 08/07/2021 13:54:10:
Posted by Roderick Jenkins on 08/07/2021 13:50:14:

Lots of "theory" on here about the lack of rigidity of QCTPs. I have never had a problem with mine on my S7. I have a Gibraltar post and have only ever used that with a boring bar that is too big for the tool holder (and for my J&S knurling tool which has a shank which is too big).

Rod

I agree, if you tighten a QCTP correctly there should be no problem with lack of rigidity.

Tony

Its nothing to do with how much you tighten a QCTP ! The problem is with the amount of overhang some have. The tool needs to be within the footprint of the cross slide for maximum rigidity.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate