By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for John Baron

Here is a list of all the postings John Baron has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Stuart 10V First Build - Opinions on Running Please
20/10/2020 09:07:32
Posted by duncan webster on 19/10/2020 22:38:26:

Neil's picture might be an engine in the Black Country Living Museum, but the one I linked to is in the Bolton Museum, unless it's been nicked! Peaky Blinders operating in Lancashire? They do film it in Cheshire.

In that case its been nicked !

These are the pictures I took of it when visiting the Black Country Living Museum in Dudly Nr Birmingham.

05-08-2018-027.jpg

05-08-2018-028.jpg

05-08-2018-029.jpg

05-08-2018-030.jpg

05-08-2018-031.jpg

05-08-2018-032.jpg

Now I've not been to the Bolton Steam Museum yet, this blasted cov19 has seen to that !

These are the pictures that I took in 2017.

Edited By John Baron on 20/10/2020 09:10:06

19/10/2020 16:03:32
Posted by duncan webster on 19/10/2020 14:32:39:

"Tangye engine in the Bolton Steam Museum, but the picture doesn't show it well "

That picture looks to be of the Tangye in the Black Country Living Museum near Dudley.

The back drop looks remarkably similar ! I've not been able to find the picture I took !

Edited By John Baron on 19/10/2020 16:04:13

Thread: Virtual Meet Ups
19/10/2020 15:40:14

Yes Please.

Though I have no camera or mic.

Thread: Mini Lathe Headstock Lube
12/10/2020 16:18:31
Posted by Howard Lewis on 12/10/2020 15:15:48:

If it still available, there was a grease called Marfak ( marketed by Mobil? ) that was reputed to be very sticky.

Now the thread can get back on track

Howard

By gum ! That brings back memories of the "Marfak" advert where to show how sticky it was they hit a blob of it with a hammer and it just stuck the hammer down. I used to have a tin of it with the picture on it.

Thread: Retro fit heated window elements
11/10/2020 21:13:23

Bill, these windows are only half the size of the window that these heaters are intended for, so if you use all the elements in one kit for each window you will have all the applied heat in less than half the area.

Using your scheme you would need to apply half the rated voltage on each window which putting them in series will achieve.

Electrically one end of one window element would be connected to the frame/body/chasis and the other end linked to one end of the other window element, the other end of that element would be supplied with 12 volts via a fuse and a switch.

11/10/2020 20:39:01
Posted by peak4 on 11/10/2020 20:20:35:

This is what I was thinking of per side

|~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~| two half length strips on the right
|~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~| one full length on the left.
|~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~| Same plan for the opposite side
|~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~| which would save having the
| +12v two windows in series.
|
| 0v
|~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|

It would effectively double the heater length per window.
Bill

Edited By peak4 on 11/10/2020 20:23:44

Which would double the heat output on each window !

10/10/2020 18:00:52

Hi CT,

If you only use half the strip length, you will only need half the voltage !

Using a closer spacing might overheat the glass locally.

You could use half on each window and put the elements in series and use 12 volts.

Thread: Threading trouble
04/10/2020 19:33:22

Hi Andy,

Even with a lathe handle I never thread a blind hole into the hole, if I can't use a tap then I thread from the bottom of the hole out wards ! No crashing into the bottom and you can do it under power with confidence.

Just one point, I use carbide threading inserts ! I stopped trying to grind HSS threading tools quite some time ago. You get nice threads even with a lathe handle. Most people seem to run into trouble by cutting too deep at one go.

02/10/2020 09:30:47
Posted by Alan Charleston on 02/10/2020 05:30:24:

Hi Matt,

You don't need to keep the half nut engaged when cutting a metric thread on an imperial lathe if you have a thread dial fitted. The procedure to follow is:

After setting the tool to cut the correct depth, start the lathe in the forward direction and when the thread dial reads 1, engage the thread nut.

When the tool has advanced to the end of the thread, disengage the half nut and turn the motor off.

Withdraw the tool to clear the work.

Start the lathe in reverse and when the thread dial reads 1 engage the half nut.

Run the lathe in reverse until the tool clears the work.

Turn the lathe off but leave the half nut engaged.

Set the tool to the new depth and start the lathe in the forward direction.

Repeat till the thread is cut to size.

This method is useful because disengaging the half nut stops the tool a lot quicker than waiting for the lathe to run down giving a more accurate stopping point.

This won't fix your problem though if you can't reverse your motor. It may be cheaper to get someone who knows what they are doing to rewire your existing motor through a reversing switch than getting a new lathe.

Regards,

Alan

Hi Alan, Guys,

The modern equivalent to the old chalk mark !

For what its worth, I just plunge straight in, but I do have reverse and try to cut away from the chuck with the tool at the back for external threads.

A winding handle is a useful thing to have. I used an old washing machine pulley. You can see the handle at the bottom of the wheel.

21022015-00.jpg

The brass collar is to stop you pushing the mandrel in too far and the wheel hitting the gear cover.

21022015-02.jpg

21022015-05.jpg

The expander is a simple tapered plug.

Thread: Long Keyway
02/10/2020 09:07:21

Hi John,

The longest keyway that I've cut using this method was a 4 mm one 50 mm long in steel though the bore was 1/2" rather than 12 mm. You do have to do it in little bites, the ram is nowhere as rigid as a hard HSS broach and you need lots of cutting fluid. I used Trefolex, I've also used RTD, of the two RTD is better, its more runny. I've also used this method with a ram sat on the cross slide of the lathe.

Good luck with your deep hole.

John:

01/10/2020 20:36:40

Hi John, Guys,

You could always try my method of cutting small keyways into long holes !

04-09-2020-006.jpg

This picture is cutting a 3 mm keyway into an aluminium timing pulley. The hole is 28 mm deep. 50 mm shouldn't be any harder.

04-09-2020-005.jpg

For some reason the png drawing has not been placed in the album. But the pictures show how it is done.

20-09-2020-01.jpg

The grub screw is used to push the cutter out in small increments, and the spring is used to hold the cutter in place and act as a returning force to keep the cutter pressed against the grubscrew.

The hole and bore in the bottom is there to allow the swarf to escape by falling through. I found that in the initial broach I made the swarf got pushed up behind the cutter causing it to become very tight to remove.

I'll rename the drawing and see if the forum will accept it.

Ah, seems that it did work this time.

keyway broach.jpg

Edited By John Baron on 01/10/2020 20:42:11

Thread: Bent woodworking lathe spindle
25/09/2020 16:06:00

I'm sure "Machine Mart" would happily supply a new spindle !

Thread: fly cutter wear
25/09/2020 15:58:12

Hi Guys,

this picture is intended to show a fly cut surface with a HSS cutter at 250 rpm and 0.5 mm DOC on EN1.

The actual work piece is a part for my grinding spindle support assembly.

25-09-2020-003.jpg

The pin standing next to the block will be a split collet that fits into the hole and clamps against a 20 mm post.

25/09/2020 08:55:15

Hi Clive, Guys,

I did try with a carbide insert but I found that they chipped very easily, usually when they hit the edge of the work. probably not suitable for too large a DOC.

Square HSS was the best to use and much easier to clamp. I think that getting the tool radius right and a shallow back rake, about 5 degrees giving more support to the cutting edge is about right.

24/09/2020 20:12:48

Hi Guys,

I designed and made my own fly cutters, because I found that that style of fly cutter was not very rigid and tended to flex. This is what I came up with,

new_flycutter-1.jpg

20 mm diameter shaft with a 75 mm steel disc and a piece of 1/4" square HSS. The cutter is double ended so you can have to cutting profiles, one on each end. I can take a 1 mm DOC in steel with this. I run this between 250 and 500 rpm depending upon depth of cut and how good a finish I want.

Thread: Why are BA taps so blooming expensive??
21/09/2020 08:35:34

Avon tap & die are good too

www.avontapdie.co.uk

Thread: Problems reading from a 3.5" floppy disc
20/09/2020 18:34:39

Hi Guys,

3.5" floppy disc's die of old age, particularly if they have been allowed to get damp at some point !

What happens is the adhesive holding the magnetic media to the hub looses its stickeyness and the hub can no longer drive the media.

I've just scrapped 2500 of them for similar reasons. If you hold the media it should not allow you to rotate the hub.

Thread: A new [to me ] style of scam eMail
15/09/2020 10:46:54

Hi Michael,

Open it in a text editor then you can see what's in it.

Thread: Trembling laptop
15/07/2020 08:23:50

Hi Gary,

Replace the charger unit and test again !

Thread: Pratt Burnerd chuck
13/07/2020 19:19:11

Hello Mike,

I'd forgotten that I had put pictures of my soft jaws and the modifications that I did to make them far more useful.

18-02-2020-002.jpg

The commercial soft jaws that I bought from Cromwell are the ones behind the new aluminium ones screwed on to the front of them

18-02-2020-003.jpg

The beauty of doing this is that I can just throw them away and screw another set on the front. A very big advantage is no run out ! You put a piece of round bar in the chuck behind to clamp onto and machine the jaws to suit whatever you want to hold in them. You can see in these pictures a step in the original soft jaws where they were machined for a particular job.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate