By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for David Scott 4

Here is a list of all the postings David Scott 4 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Mini-Mill Belt Drive Conversion
31/01/2022 02:34:29

Having burnt out a motor and mashed a gear on my WM 18 cutting holes in the new motors base and working on a belt drive is the logical way forward.

Of course the reply of "Many people fit COOLING FANS to their mills!!" from Warco did not go down too well. Most modern stuff needs to be considered a starting point these days, still. The belts and pulleys I got from Bearing Boys waits to be done. Well the 15mm by 5 mm pitch belts will be got when I measure from the job. They are pilot bore so you can choose the hole size.

Thread: Redesigning a boiler from 5 to 7 1/4"
25/12/2021 00:33:30

Looks a very interesting project Steve.

I took over a set of Paddington plans that someone had started to convert down to make a more to scale Speedy.In the end I just drew out masses of bits starting with the frames. Frames being 5/16" slimmer which gives her a more squat apperance. Every so often some more bits get snapped up when they come up for sale.

I have also jumped into 7 1/4" tank loco lovely size.

David.

Thread: Warco experience - WM18B
04/11/2020 02:57:40

I have one of the now older ones.

Yes a lovely machine which the owner can improve... Yes the first thing I made for mine is a forward backwards stops. Some of Warcos machines have them fitted as standard but many do not? They have them for the front and I use mine constantly. And some days it is on all the time.

I have DROs to fit but haven't got round to them yet. I would love some ideas on fitting them the best way!

Very similar to certain Locomotives on enquiry we are told that notes may have to be followed to understand the drawings? NO I am also building Ken Swans Jessie which does not need notes. Worst sets of drawings to date are Asia By Reeves and Twin Sisters by GLR. So bad I am redrawing them to 1 1/16" to the foot scale.

David.

Thread: Myford Mk1 Super 7 restoration
19/10/2020 01:21:40

Hi everyone,

I have had a MK1 for 2 months now and have just about removed all the bits. I got it for free and yes it has a gearbox. The state it was in as it lived in a workshop with a leaking roof for about 30 years reflected the price. I got a Raglan 5 from the same workshop days later. 22 miles round trip into the bargain also free. The crosslide is yet to move.

5 weeks until the clutch rod moved and still no idea on how to clean this out. It seems to be an expanding unit inside. Yes I have a later Super 7 with the later clutch. People on Facebook Myford section had a competition as to the worst state. I think mine won. It had water in the oil box and the gearbox. Funny I got a filing machine with a crank within a box and a dipstick which showed just how much water had been in there. £20. Which came with a small Flypress. £20. I had no room for these but could not let them go in the skip which I passed many times.

I would be interested in any information on the clutch please.

David and Lily who assists.

Thread: What Did You Do Today (2017)
25/07/2017 22:31:11

Back in the workshop after Dreaming In Spires over the weekend up in Oxford! Just superb on Sunday and Saturday night ended up with a Lilla?? And Lily Wife didn't mind a steamy end to the day!!!

Thread: Asia
24/07/2017 01:39:25

The height of the cylinder block on sheet 3 is 1/8 smaller as dimensioned! but measuring on the drawing gives you 2 3/8 and more meat under the valve slots!

Also working on putting a block to omit the fiddly fitting of the steam and blast pipe flanges!!

David.

Thread: What Did You Do Today (2017)
24/07/2017 01:11:07

Got up early on Sunday as we were camping in Oxford and was the second Loco going round the track?

Yes, she is the battery driven 0-4-0 as seen in Model Engineer... Well someone has to be the first to do it!!

go 11 circuits out of 3 batteries... Must work on the steam version but will miss the smiles, yes Model Engineering can be fun. Lovely to see my wife in matching Bosch colours of red and Reading Club green top!!!

David and Lily.

Thread: 5" GAUGE PRAIRIE TANK LOCOMOTIVE
30/07/2012 10:57:22

Hi,

She is a very complex engine to build with a problem from the start that is there are no laser cut parts ie the frames which would speed up the build time. These in turn require a double bend under the cab which again if Reeves offered this service would make life so much easier.

Yes I am building one, but slowly as it is an accurate model almost everything has been drawn, an exception being the vacuum pump but the one from Bulldog would fit. The other aspect is the large number of formers needed to shape the brackets and trays which every builder needs to make. Again the support from the modern suppliers such as Doug and Polly would see these items as cut out and pre formed. I am very interested in the re work of a 57XX pannier tank which is coming out.

David Scott.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate