By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for sparky mike

Here is a list of all the postings sparky mike has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Selecta Home Workshop
04/06/2023 18:29:16

Now you mention it, it does look like a saw arbor. I also picked up a vintage Black & Decker drill last week for £3.00 and have found that it fits the Selecta perfectly.

All the bolts on this machine are UNC and not Whitworth which makes me wonder if there was an American connection, as it is the sort of three in one tools that used to be found in the adverts in Mechanix Illustrated.

Mike.

04/06/2023 09:26:35

I meant to add, if anyone can spare the time to post photos of the missing parts and possibly dimension drawings I would be grateful.

Its a bit of a curio, but quite well made and the die castings are superb quality. I would not dare to use the saw accessory, I value my fingers too highly. However at the princely sum of £5.00 at the local car boot, I could not resist it could I ?

Mike.

04/06/2023 09:22:14

img_7779.jpgI have just bought this Selecta drill press and two small parts are missing which I will fabricate. These are parts 586 Saw guard bracket and 581 work plate handle. Not sure of the purpose of the handle. Any ideas ?

The end caps for the main tubes are also missing but I can easily turn up something for them, although not essential parts.

There is a part arrowed in one of the photos. Not sure if this is even part of the machine, but it came with it.

Mike.img_7786.jpg

Thread: Selecta Home Workshop
03/06/2023 21:31:50

I have here a Selecta Home Workshop machine here and one part is missing.

It is the part 586 Saw Guard Bracket. If anyone has one of these tools, I would be grateful for a photo and dimensions of the missing part in question.

Mike

Thread: Cover plate thread size on surface grinder
04/07/2022 17:28:18

Nearest I can find so far is no. 12 UNC. core diameter is 0.170''.

Machine is British, made in Wolverhampton, but info very sparse on the net.

It cost £121.00 in the 50's, which was quite a sum then.

Stone diameter in info I found stated 10'' stone but mine is 12'', so maybe a larger model.

Top plate is around 40'' long. Be nice to get it working, I have a job lined up for it. The top plate is a massive cast iron construction and the complete machine must be 1/4 of a ton or close.

Mike.

04/07/2022 15:17:01

I very much doubt if drive rivets were used as you need to remove the cover plates to get to motor or change the belt.

I have some fiberglass filler that I can try and make an impression of the thread. I can oil or grease the thread first for easier removal.

Mike.

04/07/2022 12:11:50

I have an album of photos of the grinder on this site if anyone is interested.

Mike.

04/07/2022 12:10:38

I am restoring a 50/60's Janita plano grinder. The cover plates, front and sides are held on by screws. Now at the moment they are self tappers, but as the machine parts they screw into are 1/2'' think or more, I can't see these were original, unless they was a special tap for fitting self tappers ?

If I put a drill in the screw hole, drill size is 0.175''. That is a sliding fit.

I t looks to be a coarse thread, but as diameter is so small, I obviously can't use a thread gauge.

One other problem is the circular square section grinding abrasive stone has come adrift from the steel base plate, luckily still in one piece. (I still had not got round to powering up the machine which was fortunate.)

Now what is the best glue for bonding the stone back to the steel wheel ?

Would there be any advantage in drilling the steel wheel as regular intervals to aid adhesion ? At the moment it is dead smooth, not even knurled.

Mike.

Thread: pulley problem for electric motor for grinder.
14/05/2022 15:50:36

It now seems that the bush was not made to fit down to the 25mm. motor shaft. Obviously why they welded the thing on !! So I now need a plain pulley around 3.750'' approx diameter with a key-way. The key slot on the motor looks to be wider than 1/4'' so that could be a problem.

Mike.

Thread: Janita Plano Grinder
14/05/2022 15:46:20

Thanks for that. There is a mention in Caxtons Modern Motor Engineer vol.2. (Books around the 60's)

If it needed a new grinding wheel at some time I have no idea where you would get one. I would guess that you would have to send the complete wheel away to have it re-done.

I did pay more than the quoted list price above !!

Mike.

14/05/2022 10:42:23

Photos of the Janita plano grinder for which I need the pulley sorted as in below post. If anyone has any more details of this machine I would be very pleased to get the details. Very heavy machine and the table is of massive construction. Machine is used for grinding cylinder heads / engine blocks or manifolds.

Mike.

sam_3022.jpgsam_2976.jpgsam_2974.jpg

Thread: pulley problem for electric motor for grinder.
14/05/2022 09:30:03

If all else fails and the bush is not hardened, perhaps best plan would be to open out thread to a normal size such as 20 tpi BSW. The machine is rather interesting and pretty old. (50/60/s ) It is a Janita plano grinder, used for resurfacing cylinder heads/engine blocks or manifolds, of which I do a lot of work with.

Mike.

13/05/2022 21:15:24

There is only one holding screw , or was !! The thread TPI is 20. OD of the missing screw must be just under 0.250. A scan of all the thread charts is now a must.

Mike.

13/05/2022 18:11:46

Something I should have done before writing the post is to check the TPI of the split hole.

Are the two plain holes for locking pins ? Not conversant with these taper locks. By the way, someone had welded the taper lock to the end of the motor shaft . Took some careful grinding to remove it. Luckily most of the welding was the worst I have ever seen and 50% not penetrated. Good thing is motor is saved. Shaft size is 24mm. Looks like I might have to bore out a new pulley if I can't fix this one.

Mike.

13/05/2022 12:10:44

Hi,

The V belt pulley I need to fit to the electric motor for my grinding machine it the type which has a cone in the bore with an adaptor to fit various motor shafts.

This is tightened up with a small grub allen screw, which has vanished off the bench and I can't find it.

I need to know the thread type. At first I thought it was 1/4'' , but that is a fraction too large . Anyone had similar dealings with these cone adaptors and might know thread type?

Mike.

Thread: Rexon Bench planer
29/04/2022 13:25:24

I have bought a second hand Rexon bench planer, model J1550BQ

Has anyone out there got a handbook for this machine, or could copy one for me? Other thought is it might have also been sold under another trade name.

No luck with Rexon as I don't think they are trading now.
Mike.

Thread: compressor motor caoacitors
27/10/2021 17:41:46

Changed the smaller one and now working and not tripping the RCD.

Thanks for input.

Mike.

27/10/2021 13:01:29

Hi Noel,

I think one of the caps has shorted out as its throwing my rcd out, which is rather sensitive.

It tried to start then trips very soon after switch on.

Cleaned the end of one cap and nothing. Will try the other.

Which one is start cap, large or small one ?

Mike.

27/10/2021 10:54:18

I need to change both of the capacitors on my compressor.

Motor is around half horse power. Can't see any value on the caps. anyone got similar motor who can tell me what the uf number should be on them ?

Mike.

sam_2752.jpgsam_2753.jpg

Thread: Perfecto Boring machine
24/10/2021 07:52:55

I have just bought a Perfecto boring machine type 777. There is also a model 777S. Does anyone know the difference between the two models?

It is made by the Van Norman company in the USA.

Mike.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate