By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for FMES

Here is a list of all the postings FMES has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: The Chocolate Fireguard as designed by Mercedes Benz
14/05/2019 15:08:12

Posted by SillyOldDuffer on 14/05/2019 10:37:17:

Posted by FMES on 13/05/2019 21:46:54:
Posted by pgk pgk on 13/05/2019 16:12:20:
Posted by Dennis on 13/05/2019 14:51:35:

I like the idea of electric but until prices drop radically its just not an option.

At the moment there's a good case for that. But I hope no-one imagines there's any possibility of carrying on as we are forever. God isn't making any new oil.

Thats not quite true, the process is still going on today as it was millions of years ago, not that its any good to us in our lifetimes.

But as I said before Diesel engines will be around long after the manufacture of petrol has probably ceased, and not burning fossil fuels.

Gas turbines are akin to diesel engines as they are multi-fuel tolerant and again can be run off non-fossil fuels.

Only trouble then is - where are we going to grow all the vegetation required to make the fuels?

Like all things there will be a phased change as different fuels come onto the market, or battery technology alters drastically

Bring on the Flux Capacitor smiley

Regards

13/05/2019 21:46:54
Posted by pgk pgk on 13/05/2019 16:12:20:
Posted by Dennis on 13/05/2019 14:51:35:

How about this guy's a universal drill type battery that jacks up into your boot space you have to swap it for a fully charged pack just paid for the electric and off you go again.

That was the original Tesla premis.. I believe they even built one or two swap out stations before abandoning that model. It was supposed to be automatic, drive on the mechansim, it dropped out the old pack and plugged the new one in a time aim of three minutes. I don't know what stopped them using that design... perhaps as simple as the logistics of enough packs and moving them about as stations became depleted?
One of the EV startups in China plans to provide a combination of roadside charge points and their own mobile service - claims of they'll get to you within an hour of your rendezvous...
I think it was porsche or perhaps audi that claimed they would manage a 400KVpeak charge rate - doable if the points exist but unless packs get larger or better then at current sizes it'll knacker them fast. I don't think anyone has long-term C ratings that high.
The golden charging period is between 20-80%. I do know that they aim to manage that in 15mins on the model3 75KWH pack in the near future using the new 250KW chargers with 80% aimed to give you 300miles range. Or for lottery winners the new roadster with 620 mile range and a 200KWH pack, 0-60 in 1.9secs and the option of booster rockets if you want to accelerate faster (Really!. Even Elon Musk-speak of it being able to hover short-term; drag strip stuff.)

Whatever wild ideas actually happen one can be sure that things will adapt. there are currently 23000 charge points UK.. albeit some are very slow. 4300 that can charge 50KW or faster as of the end of 2018.

**LINK**

pgk

Being brutally realistic, if you can't afford to buy one, its a no go situation right from the start, and why would I need a car thats so large?

If the only way to get a decent range is to have a battery that will only fit into a car the size of a barn then its just not viable to those that haven't got large families etc.

At present I am more than happy with a two seater sports, which gets over 600 miles to the tank, and not at limited speeds either or stuck behind HGVs, takes about 5 minutes to fill up once a month using BPme, I don't even have to use a card or go into the shop to pay.

I like the idea of electric but until prices drop radically its just not an option.

Thread: James Maiwald Flame Licker / Flame Gulper doing some work
13/05/2019 06:35:07
Posted by Jim Dobson on 13/05/2019 02:20:46:

Well its never going to be able to "work under any load" is it? Its Flame Licker engine!

For a flame licker, running that saw is impressive, whether your impressed or not.

Totally agree Jim, the mere fact its driving that belt and overcoming the friction of the saw is work done in itself.

Regards

Thread: What makes your bristle?
12/05/2019 08:36:35

I prefer to use an ultrasonic.

You do have to take a deep breath before putting your head in, upside is you can do your ears at the same time.

Mind you don't have it too hot tho'

Regards

Thread: Steel boiler storage.
11/05/2019 13:34:11
Posted by Martin Johnson 1 on 11/05/2019 11:47:11:

For my boiler, anything over a couple of weeks it is always dry - blow down hot and let the residual heat do the rest. For over winter, take the plugs out as well. My boiler is stored inside in a heated room. For less than a couple of weeks (between rallies) then store well filled. I use boiler treatment anyway which will scavenge most of the oxygen out.

Martin

+1

11/05/2019 10:53:08
Posted by Samsaranda on 11/05/2019 10:20:04:

Just to throw a thought into the EV mix, once all I.C. engined vehicles are no longer manufactured one assumes that the battlefields of the future will be amply provided with recharging stations such that tanks and logistic vehicles can continue to operate?

Dave W

Interestingly enough, our two new Aircraft carriers were initially designed to be nuclear powered, unfortunately mainly due to public concern the design was dropped in favour of multiphase high voltage diesel electric drive.

The generators from MTU and Wartsila are capable of using different fuels and mixes of them,.

There will always be a diesel based IC engine of some derivative or other, whether it burns fossil or vegetable fuels is a matter of design and development.

Regards

10/05/2019 10:06:35
Posted by Michael Gilligan on 10/05/2019 08:32:21:

P.S. The late, great, LJK Setright postulated a couple of useful rules-of-thumb:

1. that the best cruising speed for a car would be 2/3 of its maximum speed
  2. that the average speed for a 'typical' journey would be 2/3 of the cruising speed

As what they are ... I have, to date, found no good reason to disagree

But we now live in different times, with different values, and very different traffic conditions.

Ahhh, now as my Mercedes has a manufacturers figure of 150 mph tops, that would make best cruising speed around 100mph.

Don't think plod would appreciate that, but it does return the upper 50's mpg on a run at motorway speeds.

58.6 mpg average on a recent run to Lincoln from Portsmouth and back.

Thinking back, I had an E93a Ford pop, that would just about do 45 mph flat out with the wind behind it on a good day and I seem to recall a white line painted on the speedo at 30 mph.

So LJKs prediction would seem to hold true wink

Thread: Soft Solder v Silver Solder
09/05/2019 14:08:56
Posted by CuP Alloys 1 on 09/05/2019 08:47:41:

Hi all.

Let's open the can of worms and disturb the hornets nest!

Lead bearing soft solder has been banned from potable water systems for years. No problem.

It has been banned from electronic products due to a perceived increase in the lead build up in the water table as these products find their way to landfill sites. No problem.

It has not been banned from sale to the professions eg plumber, metal sculptors. The key word is professional.

It has been banned from sale to the amateur and that includes the man in the street- Joe Public.

The fact that tin-lead solder is still readily available does not detract from that. It is simply testament to another fact - it is proving impossible to monitor and police.

If necessary, you can always create a letterhead describing yourself as a plumber or get a friend to get it for you who knows someone that uses it professionally!!!

You couldn't make it up!

It is not my place to go into more detail regarding conversations / discussions / instructions / warnings with and from Trading Standards and HSE..

Regards

Keith

PS If there are any readers who want to fight the above or challenge the ruling in the UK or Brussels, please send me an email. I will provide bank details for all financial contributions to the war chest. Shall we say a minimum sum of £10,000 per person! 500 contributors should set the ball rolling.

Good job I won't run out of cadmium containing silver solder soon, someone in the Health and Safety department is bound to have a pop about that kulou

09/05/2019 14:02:05
Posted by martin perman on 09/05/2019 13:26:24:

So to sum up on what I've read so far: My wife and I are stuffed, we are both in our sixties, my wife is an invalid and cant drive and we own a diesel car which is ten years old has low mileage and was going to see us out, we cannot afford any sort of new electric vehicle, we both have mobility scooters but cant/not allowed, no footpaths, to drive them on the roads and by the time the EV's become second hand they will require unaffordable, to me, battery packs, will have a limited range if I tow a trailer. We live in a village with a very limited bus service with five miles in any direction to buy the essentials which will cost us the earth because it will all have to be delivered. Whoopee crying

Martin P

Edited By martin perman on 09/05/2019 13:28:58

A proposed phase out of new diesel and petrol powered cars by 2030 will mean there will still be a substantial number of 'not new' vehicles on the roads - oil companies are not going to risk profit losses until the last possible minute so petrol and diesel fuels will be available probably up to around 2050.

By then I'll be in my nineties and probably not driving anyways, and all the time future propulsion will be being developed.

Did read somewhere a while back that Ford and GM were working on a carbon neutral 'steam engine' - I wonder if thats still in the pipeline.

What I think might happen is that 'diesel' as it is currently will be replaced by a new cleaner fuel based on peanut / rapeseed oils etc, or even Algae based fuel **LINK**

09/05/2019 06:12:55
Posted by duncan webster on 09/05/2019 00:14:43:

PS Before I get a storm of derision, I'm not being totally serious, but it might work for HGVs

Edited By duncan webster on 09/05/2019 00:15:29

There is already a prpopsal for induction coils (?) to be laid in the tarmac for additional boosting.

Regards

08/05/2019 14:31:58
Posted by not done it yet on 08/05/2019 10:40:25:

Jon,

Not everyone needs to drive a Tesla model S (which would easily get to a 200 mile destination without stopping). So no difference! There are now Hyundia and Kia models with a range far in excess of 200 miles (over 250). Again, no problem. Just recharge, In about an hour, at the destination, to get home without further stops.

The Hyundai Ioniq will travel as much as 174 miles (6.2 miles per kWh). I expect the average is lower, but nowhere near the rediculous 1 1/2 miles quoted in a previous post! The latest model quotes 4.8m/kWh which should be easily attainable. Yes, real mileage is less than the quoted figures in winter, but newer models fare better than your estimate of only 2/3rds. Summer mileage can easily exceed the quoted figures by an appreciable margin, too. It rather depends on the skill of the driver a lot of the time!

Electric vehicles are improving all the time. They will soon be all-round better than the fossil burners.

They can accelerate so much better, already.

They can recover energy when going downhill or slowing down - fossil burners simply waste all that energy via the brakes.

They are less noisy.

Servicing costs are far less than fossil burners.

No engine and gearbox to fail - electric motors and the fixed reduction gear are very reliable.

No variable ratio gearboxes to build.

Overall, far simpler and cheaper to run. The initial costings will be sorted out and they will soon be no more expensive than ICE cars due to economy of scale (more EVS, so reduced manufacturing costs - while ICE versions will get more expensive, in part due to reduced production numbers).

Fmes,

Sure the battery does cost quite a bit, (but far less than your suggestion, I expect), but technology is improving and costs are reducing (by apparently 70% in the last six years).

However they are recyclable - so do not disappear into the atmosphere (like burning fossil fuels - causing further damage to the environment). They will still be around in 100 years time unless the technology changes, which it will undoubtedly do).

Many batteries are already being re-used as simple storage as there is lots of life in them after they become too reduced in capacity for automotive use. There will clearly be a burgeoning industry in recycling these batteries as they become more universal - we are supposed to dispose of small lithium ion batteries for recycling already - but many are too lazy to do that.

Have a read of this report to get yourself up to date with the technology:

**LINK**

Many reports are, to some extent, biased, as this one is, but there are plenty out there - you just need to take a balanced view. Just stop listening to Trump (his support for the coal electricity generation in the US seems to have misfired and the clever money is on renewablessmiley). Don’t act like a climate change denier!

The BMW i-3 REX did have a range extending engine/generator built in - so nothing new there. They have since reduced availability of that option, I believe.

Remember, there is more energy arriving at the Earth, from our star about 150 million km distant, than we will ever need (at current energy usage worldwide). We are only just beginning to capture and convert some of that energy to electricity. Unless we stop polluting our atmosphere with greenhouse gases, the human race, as we know it may well be doomed to extinction. Coal, oil and natural gas are finite in supply, so should be used more sensibly than they are currently. You should be considering your grandchildren and theirs. We will be gone in another generation or three.

Sorry, I don't recall saying anything about battery costs, may have been Jon?

I will add one bit though - Mercedes Blue Efficiency models recapture heat from braking and convert it to electricity to off load the alternator.

Regards

Edited By FMES on 08/05/2019 14:42:56

08/05/2019 09:01:26
Posted by Jon on 07/05/2019 22:58:44:

Not to mention CO2 produced in the building of each electric cars battery is equivalent to driving a petrol powered car around for 8 years!

Quoted mileage from full charge is never anything like, knock off cold weather, wet and night use may see 1/3 drop the norm and thats about 5 months of the year.
Ok for those that can charge daily and do limited mileage.

Lastly take the exorbitant electric cars cost and knock off that cost in electric used to do mileage then factor in new battery every few years approx £5000.

Cmon take a business trip to south coast 200 mile each way. Petrol and diesel there in 3hrs non stop. Electric you wont make it needing at least half the capacity charge again just to get there, that trip is now well over 4 hrs and extra hours labour lost for each employee per journey.

All i can see is AA and RAC called out to boost charge vehicles stranded.

As is nothing adds up but can have fun in petrol and diesels still. Mines £120 tax and an hybrid turbo

I suppose you could stick a petrol / diesel genny in the boot to help out ?? devil

07/05/2019 16:10:15
Posted by not done it yet on 07/05/2019 15:09:11:

Ha ha ha!

Posters seem to pick out the extremities to suit their case? Or don't know how the grid works? Or even much about EVs?

There are EVs out there costing less than the "luxury tax" band and travelling nearer to 5 miles for each kWh used by the vehicle. Only supercars will use leccy at the rate quoted (by whoever knows nowt about them, above).

Those that know realise that power consumption through the night is considerably less than at peak periods, sometimes over 20GW less. Do some simple maths on the subject before making up your stories, so you won't be laughed at.

In 10 years time an awful lot of places (business and domestic) will be using battery storage to mitigate the expensive peak period costs - and much of that will be recharged with renewable energy.

What we need is some forward thinking - and burning fossil fuels for road use is the past. Get used to it.

Seems to be only you laughing - touched a nerve did we?

I'm waiting for the fuel cell - If the likes of EDF and the AA are getting worried (nationally published articles) it will be the way forward without relying on an antiquated grid system.

This is also good for a watch as well **LINK**

Regards

07/05/2019 12:13:17
Posted by Doubletop on 07/05/2019 11:32:23:

Once everybody in the street is charging their vehicle when they get home the peak period will be at night and the daytime will be off peak.

As pgkpgk pointed out 35amps for an hour to do 21miles. lets say charge to do 100miles thats 44Kwh being drawn at night time, for one property. The cables will be glowing in the dark in the commuter belts

Edited By Doubletop on 07/05/2019 11:34:43

My point exactly!

And what if you have two vehicles?

As I said - no more cheap rate leccy!!

05/05/2019 09:49:11
Posted by Circlip on 05/05/2019 09:40:37:

And don't buy a new Tesla 3. It may be environmentally friendly but will cost you £315 road tax after the first free year.

Also, a mate was convinced that all the electrickery passing through a white meter was cheaper so he was going to have one fitted for his main supply.

Regards Ian.

Edited By Circlip on 05/05/2019 09:43:38

Day rate is dearer than standard rate on a white meter, and night rate has been slowly catching up with it over the years

Regards

05/05/2019 09:46:15
Posted by not done it yet on 05/05/2019 08:26:33:
Posted by FMES on 04/05/2019 09:31:49:

The two main points raised were: 1, the availability of 'Economy 7' meters will be phased out as there will be no surplus of power during the off peak periods, and 2: the position of the government with regard to lost fuel duties from fossil fuel burning vehicles, the general concensus was that additional dudies (tax) would be placed on EV charging rates in order to recover the losses.

Think about adding another 40% cost (Based on current fuel duty) to eack KWH of charge time - plus VAT of course.

Surely “smart meters” will simply replace E-7 meters? So no real change there. The availability of the cheap rate periods will just be transferred from one device to another. Simple, really and doesn’t need a lot of lengthy discussion I would have thought.

Most EV charging will (continue to) be carried out from domestic supplies. Only those with no home charging facilities will be affected - or those making longer journeys and needing a fast charge en route.

As above, the tax will be rendered on vehicles and mileage in the future. Home charging tax would surely hurt those with electric-only households - not a sensible plan.

I foresee people being more careful with how they use electricity, when statistics start to emerge from the most efficient users and the ‘don’t think mob’ who are wasteful and inconsiderate to the grid and other users.

With regard to the Economy 7 meters, I should have been clearer - it would be the Economy 7 RATE that would be discontinued, as there would effectively be no 'off peak' period, this would add massive costs to many domestic users.

From a coleague that owns a Nissan Leaf with the uprated charging port, it already has a facility built in to meter its supply independently from the house, and would therefore be able to be costed seperately at a different rate to that of the domestic supply.

It was also mentioned that any VAT charged would be at 20% as per current fuel duty rate and Not 5% domestic supplies.

Regards

04/05/2019 09:31:49

Working alongside some of the staff from EDF energy, you tend to get involved in a lot of discussions regarding energy supplies and distribution.

The recent conversation revolved around the increasing use of electric vehicles and the additional demands that were already being placed on the grid.

The two main points raised were: 1, the availability of 'Economy 7' meters will be phased out as there will be no surplus of power during the off peak periods, and 2: the position of the government with regard to lost fuel duties from fossil fuel burning vehicles, the general concensus was that additional dudies (tax) would be placed on EV charging rates in order to recover the losses.

Think about adding another 40% cost (Based on current fuel duty) to eack KWH of charge time - plus VAT of course.

Regards

30/04/2019 12:27:17
Posted by Mark Rand on 26/04/2019 22:48:50:

Since everyone seems to be having a moan. Can I complain about the ever increasing number of complete arseholes that don't use their handbrake when stopped at junctions and traffic lights, but keep their foot on the brake pedal. Thereby shining their head-level brake lights into my face! angry

Fwiw most of the newer Mercedes models have a hold function that can be used when stopping at lights etc, this means you can release the brake pedal and the brakes stay on, without using the handbrake. Only trouble is the brake lights then go out, just like when using the handbrake, and the arsehole behind sems to think you are about to pull away.

Thread: Israel join the race to the moon
25/04/2019 10:02:40

Martin,

With two months gone since that was news, you really must get out of that workshop more laugh

Thread: Safety of phone chargers
22/04/2019 13:20:05
Posted by Paul Lousick on 22/04/2019 10:49:56:

Electrical plugs / chargers in Australia and those countries that I have recently visited do not have inbuilt fuses. All new house instalaltions here, have earth leakage detectors which will cut the power if a short or overload should occur.

Paul.

How does that work if the chargers don't have an earth connection, as is the norm with most modern units?

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate