By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for FMES

Here is a list of all the postings FMES has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: beryllium copper compression spring needed
19/01/2018 17:21:25
Posted by Martin Kyte on 19/01/2018 15:19:44:

Are we getting a little confused between beryllium copper and beryllium. The first can be disposed of in landfill in the normal way beryllium however is hazardous and requires safe disposal and special handling if it's machined.

regards Martin

Speaking of landfill, just after the war (and long before I was active on the planet) a large quantity of unserviceable aircraft instrument faces containg Tritium was buried alledgedly ten feet deep on the boundary of a large repair factory.

Many years later (1990s) a nearby Naval base that on occasion received  visits from vessels powered by nuclear reactors, was carrying out its regular detection tests and started to pick up tritium trace in the harbour.

The source was traced back up the reach some three miles to the buried dial faces.

A rather thorough clean up ensued.

Edited By *.* on 19/01/2018 17:24:43

18/01/2018 12:30:55

Remembering back to my aircraft days the MoD was very cautious and careful with regard to the use and handling of BeCu. So much so those that came into contact with it had the details added to their personal records in case of future claims for industrial related illness.

Same for things like Cadmium and Magnesium Thorium.

Personally I wouldn't have anything to do with it unless you can be sure you can maintain an adequate barrier between it and all points of entry on yourself.

Lofty

Thread: Hobby related jokes
15/01/2018 09:54:28

That would rather depend on:

1. The size of the can
  2. Whether it is Metric or Imperial
  3. The breed of worm
  4. and whether they are left or right handed

cheeky John

Edited By Journeyman on 15/01/2018 09:37:01

Would the engineer have all available appendages or be digitally challenged?

Thread: Ferrabee Pillar Engine
13/01/2018 19:39:26

Always on the lookout for a project Ian.

13/01/2018 19:03:30
Posted by Ian Hewson on 13/01/2018 17:50:33:

Just a heads up on the balls for the governor, Anthony thinks ball bearings would not be suitable as they cannot be drilled.

Can't be drilled, but can be spark eroded.

I believe there was some discussion on building such a machine in ME around 2011.

Lofty

Thread: Facebook Cover
11/01/2018 15:26:47

That made me look twice as to how the V10 was running with the valve chest cover removed - good trick.

Lofty

11/01/2018 12:35:56
Posted by mechman48 on 11/01/2018 12:29:29:

How about these...

S10 oh final assembly (1).jpg

038 s50 final assembly (4).jpg

George.

realistic running shots?

Thread: Intel PCs to be reduced in speed by up to 30%
09/01/2018 12:16:39

All,

Received from the Model Engine Maker site, for your info:

Thread: Milling set up
08/01/2018 11:19:17

We used to demonstrate this to apprentices.

Take a piece of BMS 150mm x 40mm x 30mm and reduce the 30mm to 20mm using a 60mm face mill on a R8 Bridgeport.

Each apprentice would be given the opportunity to remove the whole 10mm in 1mm cuts or a 5+5 with a turnover.

The single sided cut always ended up with a .005" ish bow in the middle when checked on a surface table.

Just to demonstrate a point to them.

Lofty

07/01/2018 15:13:03

Guaranteed that if you only mill off one side it will bend due to the stresses induced by the milling.

Do as Tony says but instead of taking off the full two mm, rotate after one mm and reduce the other side by the remainder.

Lofty

Thread: Happy New Year
01/01/2018 14:45:04

Welcome back Neil, and a very Happy New Year to you too.

Lofty

Thread: Recommendations for a quality milling vice?
31/12/2017 16:34:23

I wonder how much that Chinese vice would have cost if it had been treated to the same amount of measuring and grinding in as shown in that video prior to selling.

30/12/2017 14:21:05

I use a Croz super precision - mainly because it fits my mill and was a very reasonable price.

Thread: HMS Queen Elizabeth: Leak found on new aircraft carrier
22/12/2017 07:46:11

Sam, Q1 Why no steam catapults?

A1 No steam

Q2 Why no electro magnetic launch system

A2 Experimental system and VERY expensive, I'm not sure if even the USN have got it working yet, but I'm happy to be corrected.

unasked question but relevant to Q1. Catapult launched aircraft require not only a catapult system (steam, electro magnetic, magic whatever) but a recovery system, that is arrestor wires strung across the blunt end of the deck. These are not simply random bits of steel cable, strung across the deck, but bits of steel cable with a gobsmackingly complex and expensive set of hydraulic dampers to absorb the loads imposed by a (say) 20 tonne aircraft at 150mph.stopping in (say) 20 metres.

Merry Christmas

cheers

Bill

Also answers another question as to why we are buying the US Army version of the F35 and not the Navy Version - no need for sophisticated take off and landing systems.

Oh, and the use of an Electro magnetic arrestor system when modern detections systems rely on Magnetic Anomaly Detection rather than just RADAR.

That would be MAD wouldn't it?

21/12/2017 20:50:46

Looks ok to me https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPy7FuA0Z6A

21/12/2017 20:41:20
Posted by Samsaranda on 21/12/2017 18:44:32:

Vintagengineer, rocket assisted take off would certainly be spectacular.

Lofty, not much use with a takeoff ramp for F35's if the latest report on their development states that they are overweight for the engine performance to land on the carrier which has to be done from the hover.

Dave W

Keep believing the fake news Dave wink

21/12/2017 20:39:37
Posted by vintagengineer on 21/12/2017 20:28:23:

All our submarines are still steam powered!

Submarines are boats - not ships
21/12/2017 18:14:30
Posted by vintagengineer on 21/12/2017 16:49:23:

They could use rockets similar to those used on Hercules for quick take off on short runways.

Posted by Samsaranda on 21/12/2017 12:40:50:

Re: the non provision of steam catapult because the aircraft are VTOL , a recent report in the press stated that F35 aircraft, which will equip the carriers some time in the future, have serious problems with being over weight for the power of the engines and this seriously compromises their ability to operate off carriers, maybe the omission of a steam catapult is a serious design error. We may need to operate alternative aircraft, perhaps Harriers, oh forgot we threw them all away, perfectly serviceable and would have filled the gap temporarily until the F35's could be made to work to spec., yes I know Harriers are VTOL as well and wouldn't need a steam catapult but a catapult would have kept our options open.

Dave W

One big problem re the catapult, we don't use steam on board modern ships now.

The F35's also use the ramp for takeoff - same as the harrier on the CVS, very rarely would VTOL be used,

Lofty

19/12/2017 12:06:15
Posted by Martin Kyte on 19/12/2017 11:05:31:
Posted by John MC on 19/12/2017 10:49:22:

Listened to a radio news report on the prop shaft leak this morning, the shaft is 7metres diameter, is it? Repeated an hour later so must be.

What sort of seal is it? One of those rubber ones that is lubricated by the water around it? The name of these escapes me at the moment.

John

The Props are 7m diameter.

**LINK**

The above link doesn't give shaft dia but the flanges on the 2 gearboxes shown estimate to maybe 1.8m and the output shaft to maybe 1m. The prop shafts by inference should probably be the same.

regards Martin

Edited By Martin Kyte on 19/12/2017 11:06:29

The seal is a two stage graphite/ stellite ring composite assembly with and emergency inflatable nitrile tyre.

And those are the plummer blocks not the gearboxes.

Regards

Lofty

19/12/2017 11:28:03

Isn't it amazing that the press manages to declare to the whole world our current defensive weakness.

Its not unusual for stern seals to leak during the first few sets of trials, and finding them is what shakedowns are for.

The '45's suffered from exactly the same problem, but that dwindled into insignificance with the 'other' problems that arose.

This leak on a ship of this size is about as significant as a nick in the wiper blade of a new car.

Lofty

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate