Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

MSF status

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
John Haine18/07/2023 07:22:15
5563 forum posts
322 photos

My latest "weather station" which has a radio controlled clock based on MSF no longer sets itself since replacing the batteries a couple of weeks ago. I believe it receives MSF from Anthony, and there was a scheduled maintenance outage earlier in the month. Are others having problems please?

John Haine18/07/2023 08:38:17
5563 forum posts
322 photos

Having posted that of course it has sprung into life!

Clive Brown 118/07/2023 08:44:38
1050 forum posts
56 photos

There's no mention of unscheduled outages on the NPL website here, nor a July shutdown.Switch-offs are only for short periods during scheduled outages, so perhaps your clock is suspect. I find that putting my instruments by a window can help them to find the signal.

John Haine18/07/2023 09:02:08
5563 forum posts
322 photos

Thanks. Yes, I did that.

Jim Butler 119/07/2023 09:59:33
17 forum posts
5 photos

A few days ago I noticed that my home made frequency standard (with built in clock) was not receiving MSF.

I checked the NPL website, there was no mention of an MSF outage. I guess the guys at the transmitter site were having a bad day!

JimB

old mart19/07/2023 20:25:38
4655 forum posts
304 photos

I believe that my radio controlled clocks get their signals from Germany.

SillyOldDuffer20/07/2023 09:58:41
10668 forum posts
2415 photos

My home is a poor radio location in a valley, and because most of the local power supply is delivered to houses on poles, not buried, it's electrically noisy here. Power cables and telephone wires transfer radio interference throughout the village.

I own a Very Low Frequency receiver, and can measure MSF (60kHz Cumbria, England) and DCF77 (77kHz Frankfurt, Germany) relative to what else is going on in the band. MSF is weak here, barely strong enough to work a clock, and local interference is often strong enough to drown it. This is listening on a deaf indoor ferrite rod antenna borrowed from an MSF clock.

A DCF77 clock might work here, the signal is several times stronger than MSF, perhaps because valley is more open to the east.

The very simple receivers and antennas used in ordinary radio clocks being weedy and vulnerable to interference probably explains why they work intermittently. On a good day, the signal from Cumbria is strong when the clock tries to synchronise, and the band quiet. Success! On a bad day, propagation is poor and the band full of noise, natural or man-made. Perhaps the chap next door is playing with his VFD powered 5kW lathe...

Dave

John Haine20/07/2023 11:14:29
5563 forum posts
322 photos

I find both MSF and DCF77 clocks don't like being close to computers, especially when trying to synchronise.

I'm sure there is scope for much better vlf antennas for clocks than the weedy ferrites usually used. Over on Timenuts there was a link to a WWVB 60kHz receiver with a clever antenna made of ribbon cable, with the conductors connected together in a staggered fashion to form a multi-turn loop. From memory this was a couple of metres diameter and hung in the maker's loft.

Mike Poole20/07/2023 11:21:34
3676 forum posts
82 photos

I built an MSF receiver and had a hell of job setting it up until I switched the computer monitor off that was nearby, this was years ago when monitors were CRT based. It was emitting a strong signal close to 60khz and swamping the MSF.

Mike

Edited By Mike Poole on 20/07/2023 11:21:57

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate