Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

Measuring Inside Diameters

Follow on from MEW 328 article

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Jan Michael31/05/2023 20:21:20
1 forum posts

I just recently received issue 328 here in North America and enjoyed reading the Artful Dodge #8 article on inside measuring.

Many years ago when I was being trained to use a jig grinder by the seasoned operator he gave me hints on inside measuring. The toolroom did not have sophisticated three-point gauges so accurate hole measurement too large for pin gauges was done by telescoping gauges with expected accuracies in the tenths thousands of an inch.

The process he demonstrated for me has served me well. His instructions were to set the telescoping gauge a little larger than the hole, and to tighten the locking knob enough to keep it from springing open, but not fully locked. It was then positioned vertically in the hole and tilted so the ends touched. Now for the trickier part. Pull the handle down to drag the arms of the gauge through the diameter once, AND ONLY ONCE. Pay attention to the feel of the drag as the gauge is pulled through.

Now begin checking with the appropriate micrometer by waggling the gauge between the mic anvils while slowly closing it to achieve the same drag resistance feel you had in the hole you're checking. If you can get consistent readings with two or three tests and consistent drag inside and out, you can use telescoping gauges to measure to tenths.

old mart31/05/2023 21:46:52
4655 forum posts
304 photos

That is similar to how I use one of those gauges. If the hole diameter is important, I will take up to three measurements, and hopefully they will be close to identical. I would not expect to be closer than 0.005", but that isgood enough for government work. wink 2

Hopper01/06/2023 01:37:28
7881 forum posts
397 photos

Similar to how I was taught to use T gauges. But we were taught to rock the T gauge from side to side a little before dragging it through to make sure it was situated across the very largest part of the circle. Getting within .001" is easy enough, especially if you are doing it all the time. Would take a lot of careful practice to get down to a tenth.

I much prefer ball gauges on anything under about half an inch.

Neil Lickfold01/06/2023 05:06:42
1025 forum posts
204 photos

When I started my apprenticeship, one of the training exercises was to be measuring a bearing on the outside, and then using a telescopic gauge and micrometer, until I got the correct dimensions. My last measuring exercise was to measure the bore of a ring gauge , not seeing it's exact size, and then writing down on paper those sizes of the measurements. Then measure a gauge block without seeing it's length and writing down those sizes, all under observation for the test.

It was an exercise well worth doing. In those days we had a temp controlled measuring and inspection room. It taught me 2 things, when dimensions get bigger than 100mm, temp of the part and measuring gear matters. As well as the materials they are made from etc. The other was, when using a telegauge to measure a bore, take two measurements at 45 deg to each other. Otherwise you can not tell if the part is slightly oval or lobed.

Proper bore micrometers in a workshop , will pay for themselves just in the measuring time savings alone in a year, depending on how many and how often a bore is required to be measured etc.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate