Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

Home Automation Technique

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
SillyOldDuffer11/10/2020 13:37:01
10668 forum posts
2415 photos
Posted by Roger Best on 11/10/2020 10:43:38:

Dave SOD, what has lift got to do with it?

Fresh air will replace the air you pump out.

I was assuming the space was a cellar and the air had to be lifted out. Less work done by the fan shifting air sideways from an under-croft, but the principle is the same: how much air will be shifted in a given time by a motor of a certain power. I don't think fresh air coming in alters the sums because the replacement air does no work.

An equivalent way of ventilating the space is with a fire.

fireventilator.jpg

The fire and chimney are a heat engine that lifts damp air up the chimney which is replaced by fresh-air at the undercroft's entrance. As the heat engine obeys the same physical laws as the electric fan it's possible to calculate how much fuel (energy) is needed to remove a volume of air in a given time. Incoming fresh air doesn't alter the amount of work done by the fire either. I hope!

Dave

Edited By SillyOldDuffer on 11/10/2020 13:37:34

Roger Best11/10/2020 14:02:24
406 forum posts
56 photos

smiley Dave, the incoming air does work against atmospheric pressure, which is in balance, so the outgoing air floats in the in-coming. Its more like moving a counter-weighted lift than moving the load on its own.

Its really a viscous flow problem, not a potential energy one. It would be interesting to know if your answer is anywhere near correct, it could make a good rule of thumb.

Great point Speedy Builder 5. The problem of moisture-laden air entering cold properties is a common one in historic monuments and can cause mould. The solution of drying incoming air (Air conditioning) is getting popular where budgets allow.

Colin Whittaker12/10/2020 12:29:02
155 forum posts
18 photos

The solution?

My son assures me that the Samsung SmartThings Hub will let me program my needs with user defined variables and loops and if thens so that's the way I'm going with wifi sensors and a wifi power switch.

When I get into the new house and have this automatic fan running I'll try to remember to post an addendum here. (If it's not running then it's a lot less likely that I'll post.)

Cheers, Colin

SillyOldDuffer12/10/2020 13:34:00
10668 forum posts
2415 photos

Glad you're sorted out Colin. I'm still in disarray due to Roger's comments. Yesterday I proved conclusively to myself that Roger is wrong, only to realise my counter-argument was fallacious. Too many things making my brain hurt at the moment!

Dave

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate