Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

Bridgeport Mill - Convert to 240v Single Phase

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
mtrehy mtrehy28/04/2018 19:40:38
22 forum posts
10 photos

Thanks larry. I might end up going that route. Getting the mill for the cost of shipping only is a piece of good fortune but it hasn't boosted my bank balance at all - i.e I didn't have a milling machine in the annual budget!

I'm in no great rush to sort this out as I'm having work done on the workshop that takes it out of action for a month at least so gives me time to assess options. Motor modifications, vfd, switchgear etc will end up about 1/2 the price of a 3hp rotary but the rotary can be used on other future machinery.

i notice on ebay lots of plans for DIY rotary converters - has anyone here built one?

I've ruled out static converters.

Muzzer28/04/2018 20:26:43
2904 forum posts
448 photos

I removed the original pancake motor on my BP clone. It was a 1500rpm 220V 3-phase machine, so looks similar to the motor in the pics but suitable for VFD.

The replacement is a conventional 2.2kW 3000rpm (well, 2850 rpm etc under load) flange mount TEFC motor, so I can still develop the same power and torque at the original speed but can also run it at twice the speed.

I got the replacement motor from John Stevenson, along with a laser cut adaptor plate. The only work required was to clean up the flange plate on the lathe, then wire it up. Works like a dream. Pity that route is no longer an option.

My machine is a Taiwanese clone with fixed pulleys like the one in the pics. I could possibly flog you the old one as a solution but would need to check it's the same dimensions.

Murray

mtrehy mtrehy28/04/2018 20:36:30
22 forum posts
10 photos

Hi Murray,

I'd certainly be interested - I rarely feel the need to go beyond 1500 rpm.

THanks

Muzzer28/04/2018 22:26:17
2904 forum posts
448 photos

I'll measure it up tomorrow when I'm next out there. The shaft (pulley bore) diameter and the flange register are presumably the critical dimensions.

Worked fine with my VFD before I took it off.

PM me and let me know where you are. As you know, these things are pretty heavy.

Murray

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate