By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for JA

Here is a list of all the postings JA has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Major flaw in the world of engineering
23/04/2023 15:27:31

Just a comment: Before you do any cutting make sure the work is absolutely firm in the chuck (or whatever is holding it) and the cutting tool likewise. Doing so may still mean you could mess up the job but not doing so will mess up big time.

I use a face plate on the lathe far more than a 3 jaw self centering chuck. A Keats plate is also a really useful work holder. In addition to these a good set of collet chucks is invaluable.

JA

22/04/2023 21:36:48
Posted by Pete Rimmer on 22/04/2023 21:15:52:
Posted by JA on 22/04/2023 20:55:37:
Posted by Pete Rimmer on 22/04/2023 20:44:29:

If 4 jaw self-centering chucks held any significant advantage over 3-jaws you'd see them everywhere, but as it happens they are not common at all.

3-jaws are superior is almost every way.

Are you from Mars?

I never saw a 3-jaw chuck during my apprenticeship. Almost the only reason they exist is because no one with a brain can use one.

The only time I use one is to hold a fly-cutter.

JA

You used a 4-jaw SELF CENTERING chuck for everything but holding a fly cutter?

Pete

My apologies. I miss-read your posting. (I should not post at night).

I have never seen a self centering 4 jaw chuck in my life. I don't intend to see one.

JA

22/04/2023 20:55:37
Posted by Pete Rimmer on 22/04/2023 20:44:29:

If 4 jaw self-centering chucks held any significant advantage over 3-jaws you'd see them everywhere, but as it happens they are not common at all.

3-jaws are superior is almost every way.

Are you from Mars?

I never saw a 3-jaw chuck during my apprenticeship. Almost the only reason they exist is because no one with a brain can use one.

The only time I use one is to hold a fly-cutter.

JA

Thread: Linen drafting film
21/04/2023 17:20:38
Posted by Nicholas Farr on 21/04/2023 12:48:26:

drag scraper#2.jpg

Regards Nick.

Edited By Nicholas Farr on 21/04/2023 12:49:09

International Combustion Ltd - That takes me back to my youth!

JA

Thread: Major flaw in the world of engineering
21/04/2023 13:06:49

Paul

Is this just a rant? There is nothing wrong with that. I like a good rant.

Or an appeal for help? There are people out there who will help you. The first thing to do is make the appeal and give some idea of the location of your workshop.

JA

Thread: SpaceX Falcon Heavy launch in two hours time
20/04/2023 18:36:01

It will be viewed many times.

Very expensive hype but perhaps there is no such thing as bad press. I am too old to understand these things.

Enough said.

JA

Thread: Food
20/04/2023 18:29:21

!l!!!!!

JA

Thread: Linen drafting film
19/04/2023 18:04:16

To all.

Many thanks for the advice.

The drawings are not damaged and will remain where they are except for two that will be copied for a talk. Our first job is to produce an index so that we know what we have. After that our problems start: we do not have any money and are not allowed to use cameras. Old fashioned blueprinting, using u-v light and potassium ferricyanide, has a definite appeal since it is cheap, safe and easy.

JA

18/04/2023 18:35:57

Up until 60 to 70 years ago important engineering drawings were usually done on linen drafting film (starched light linen cloth) since it is more robust than tracing paper. However it was replaced in the 1960s by polyester film.

Where I volunteer there are quite a few valuable drawings on linen film. These, most over 100 years old, are stored flat and in the dark. However the temperature and humidity varies considerably. My questions are:

1. How long can they be expected to last?
  2. How does the film degrade?
  3. How does one preserve the drawings?
  4. What is the best way of copying them? Originally blue printing would have been used. Can they tolerate the later ammonia based copying processes? Obviously they can be photographed but flatness and light reflection could be a problem.

Any knowledgeable comments would be welcome.

JA

Thread: Jerry Cans - fuel transport of WW2
17/04/2023 20:21:45
Posted by Ady1 on 17/04/2023 13:38:17:
Posted by JA on 17/04/2023 12:38:42:

Which made it get very hot very quickly.

JA

5000 howling russians coming straight at you means you get really good at swapping barrels and humping ammo cases about, you learn very fast. Very very fast.

I noticed in a recent video report from a Ukrainian dug-out a Maxim gun.

JA

17/04/2023 12:38:42
Posted by Dave Halford on 17/04/2023 10:01:16:
Posted by Ady1 on 16/04/2023 23:40:24:

The Germans had some brilliant designers and engineers where pressed metal construction and fabrication was concerned. Nobody else seemed to be even close

The MG42 for instance was considered to be a war austerity design when first captured by the allies and it took them a while to twig to its simple reliable cheap design brilliance

And it's insatiable need for massive amounts fresh pointy metal brrrrrrrrup

Which made it get very hot very quickly.

JA

Thread: New Machnist
16/04/2023 09:26:20

Ross

I have sent you a PM.

The Workshop Practice books are well worth their value (more than some other books). Tubal Cain was particularly good. His "Model Engineer's Handbook" is invaluable.

JA

15/04/2023 19:12:55

Hi Ross and welcome.

Have you thought about joining your local model engineering society?

JA

Thread: Ward No1A lathe
14/04/2023 15:37:53

Thomas

What an interesting lathe. I have never used a capstan or turret lathe although fellow apprentices who could not budget their money got employement on nights at such lathes (invariably they were chucked off the apprenticeship at the end of their first year).

Use the hydraulic oils you suggest. There is also ISO 32 which may be easier to get than ISO 46. I think the ISO 68 should be a sticky slideway oil. I guess you are wise enough to avoid car/motorcycle olis of any type.

My feeling is that you are on your own. However one forum member, Andrew Johnston, is well experienced at using industrial machine tools. Looking at your photographs and www.lathes.co.uk it appears not to have a lead screw. If so this will limit the use of the lathe. I hope I am wrong.

All the best with the lathe

JA

Thread: Chinese imports
12/04/2023 13:16:32
Posted by Bill Phinn on 12/04/2023 13:05:53:
Posted by JA on 12/04/2023 11:56:50:
Posted by Bill Phinn on 12/04/2023 11:37:40:
Posted by Dave Halford on 12/04/2023 11:03:51:

That is because the ROC government pays for most of the shipping of Chinese products, so defrauding the ROC might lead to unpleasant consequences.

Dave, do you really mean the government of the ROC, i.e. Taiwan?

This must be part of the original question. What do we mean by China? We, as consumers, don't really care.

As both a consumer and a private citizen, I for my part care immensely.

We should care but how do I know the country of origin? They both call themselves China.

dont know

JA

12/04/2023 11:56:50
Posted by Bill Phinn on 12/04/2023 11:37:40:
Posted by Dave Halford on 12/04/2023 11:03:51:

That is because the ROC government pays for most of the shipping of Chinese products, so defrauding the ROC might lead to unpleasant consequences.

Dave, do you really mean the government of the ROC, i.e. Taiwan?

This must be part of the original question. What do we mean by China? We, as consumers, don't really care.

It would be interesting to know the percentage of imports from each country. I have a feeling that one of the Chinese Lathe manufacturers is in Taiwan. This leads to the next question, how much business interchange is there between the two countries?

I do not want this to become political. I see no reason for it to do so.

JA

12/04/2023 11:45:19
Posted by Michael Gilligan on 12/04/2023 09:41:26:
Posted by Roderick Jenkins on 12/04/2023 09:22:02:
Posted by Michael Gilligan on 12/04/2023 08:19:28:

Many [most, if not all] of the Chinese sellers on ebay have an arrangement where ebay collects the VAT at the time of purchase … Those items should flow through the system without any difficulty.

But

"Cardiff flat owner gets tax bills for 11,000 Chinese firms...

Rod

Which is one of the reasons why it’s better to have ebay managing the VAT

”HMRC admitted the situation did not raise alarm bells at the tax office.” says it all really !!

MichaelG.

Edited By Michael Gilligan on 12/04/2023 09:43:14

Not really. Just like a lot of firms, including some importers of Chinese lathes, they just leave the inspection to the customer.

JA

Thread: Parting off using a powered cross feed
11/04/2023 21:38:40
Posted by Fulmen on 11/04/2023 19:10:52:

My problem with parting under power is that sooner or later there will be a slight growl. And unless you back off immediately there will be a loud and expensive bang.

On my Myford the belt slips (and it is in good condition).

Worse things can happen. When parting off a hollow cylindrical item I use a "catch" rod held in a Jacobs chuck in the tailstock. Once I failed to do so when parting off a cylinder about 38mm O.D and long. The part fell between the bed and a jaw of my large four jaw chuck. That produced a large bang but no damage. However I now do not run that chuck at high speed.

JA

Edited By JA on 11/04/2023 21:39:38

Thread: Increasing Machine Tool Height for Improved Ergonomics
09/04/2023 18:36:08

If I dug a hole as Andrew suggests it would fill with water. At present I have a dry workshop but there is a river 50m away and the water table is always high.

However I am only 1.70m tall so I will just continue machining.

JA (who is having a metric April)

Thread: Stuart Compound Double Eccentric Sheeves
07/04/2023 09:53:37

Years ago I made a Stuart 7A with a double eccentric. I kept on breaking cast iron double eccentrics so I used a short length of bright mild steel bar. One good double eccentric.

I did not use a jig, just a four jaw chuck with a lot of measuring and checking. I think I had a chucking stub on either side of the double eccentric.

Have fun!

JA

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate