By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for peak4

Here is a list of all the postings peak4 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Potts Drill Grinding Jig
25/07/2015 22:34:16

Clive, many thanks for such a detailed reply. It's a poor weather forecast for tomorrow, so I might get chance to go and have another play. I think I need to do a bit of re-shaping of the angular detent at the business end. The one that was fitted when I got the jig was rather misshapen; the previous owner seemed to have set it rather too close to the wheel.

Must go now as I'm told that dinner is ready.

24/07/2015 21:37:45

I've now been experimenting and ended up making a new edge location detent, though I don't think I've got the angle on it quite right; I can't read the angle on Hemmingway's web catalogue drawing. My replacement works OK on bits above about 4.5mm, but on smaller ones it fouls on the flute not being dressed.

I seem to be able to get good repeatable results, but with too great a relief angle however much I set the drill to project; I'm clearly missing something obvious.

After following Bazyles suggestion, I had a look though one of the other threads on drill grinding and came across Clive's post about his Meteor drill grinder; the last one on this thread.

It looked very familiar as I have one of the swiveling heads in my box of interesting bits, sadly missing the grooved engraved parts which hold the drill itself. I didn't know what it was actually for, but picked it up cheap years ago, with a view to mounting a chuck/collet holder on it and using it to sharpen end mills. Mine is different in the way it mounts on the machine; I understand that it was an extra attachment for a larger cutter grinder of some sort.

Next job is to contact Clive, and also to see if Meteor are still in business.

24/07/2015 10:39:11

Thanks Harold, I was reading your page as the notification of your above post arrived at my inbox. smiley

Cheers also to Michael, but I'll need a second cup of coffee before I get to the end of that post train; currently only on Page 2.

With this particular jig there seems to be a slider which you use to set the arc diameter appropriate for the drill diameter. Obviously you also need to set an initial projection as well to save catching the jig on the wheel.

Trouble is, my workshop is so full that I can only access the Clarkson with the main door open, so I can only sharpen stuff when it's not raining, as I'm standing outside the doorway to use it. blush

It's dry at the moment, so off to experiment.

23/07/2015 23:50:40

Thanks for that Robbo; I've actually got one of those as well, along with the instructions, but the Potts original is slightly more complicated.

There seems to be a forward offset adjustment, which it looks like you set according to the drill diameter, as well as being able to adjust the jig from the perpendicular.

I'm guessing you rotate the drill onto the stop, and then rotate the whole jig on the bade casting to ensure the cutting edge is vertical.

23/07/2015 22:17:01

I've recently retired and now have more time for the workshop; both to tidy it and "do usefull stuff".

Some years ago I picked up a potts Drill Grinding jig; I assume an original as it's stamped with the name and Denbeigh.

It looks to be almost the same as the Hemmingway kit but was missing the base casting(s). Even I can manage that bit as it's effectively just a horizontal hole with a clamp, but what I'm stuck for is some detailed setting up instructions.

Grinder I'm OK for as I have a Clarkson Mk1, albeit without much tooling at the moment.

Is anyone out these able to assist with some instructions please? It would seem a bit off to ask Hemmingways, as I didn't buy one of their kits.

Many Thanks

Thread: Re Generated files
06/04/2014 21:31:04

As I'm sure you've sussed, I meant a 12v Battery Charger. embarrassed

06/04/2014 19:47:47

I've had reasonable success by doing it electrolytically.

I used dilute sulphuric acid from my local battery supplier as the electrolyte, from memory let down about 1:3, and a 1 v car battery charger as the power source, but just make sure you connect everything electrically before powering up as sparks and hydrogen are not ideal bedfellows in one's workshop. This is even more important when powering down.

The file needs to be the anode, and the cathode should face all sides of the file to be sharpened.

For the tank, I used a plastic measuring cylinder as it is tall and thin, thus minimising the amount of acid needed.

The cathode was made from a spiral of cunifer brake pipe as I had it lying around at the time.

For obvious reasons, goggles, gloves, old apron etc are to be advised, as it doing the job outside the workshop to save corroding anything.

Clean the file in caustic soda to degrease before you start, and rinse in a bucket of water following sharpening.

An immediate application of your favourite aerosol water displacer should follow as it will corrode frighteningly quickly. I used WD40.

Good luck and take care.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate