By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Maurice Taylor

Here is a list of all the postings Maurice Taylor has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Coping with voltage spikes
21/08/2020 20:57:45

Hi Tim ,

I asked you to connect led to battery and start the engine to see if it stayed lit,this would have proved your led was ok.

I suggest connecting the bulb to where the led was connected to check that wiring was ok.

Did the led across the battery stay alight with engine running ?

Sorry if I wasn’t very clear

Maurice

21/08/2020 20:47:39

Duplicate ,deleted

Edited By Maurice Taylor on 21/08/2020 21:01:51

21/08/2020 20:47:35

Hi Robert ,thanks for your reply ,faults like this usually are bad connections ,that’s what I tried to say early in the thread. I’ve had cars for 50 years and most electric faults have been bad connections etc. I appreciate your a busy man ,and don’t have time.

Maurice

Edited By Maurice Taylor on 21/08/2020 21:02:40

21/08/2020 18:50:14
Posted by Maurice Taylor on 15/08/2020 20:24:53:

Hi Tim,

I would do the following,

1 Make a test lead ,with a 12v led ,length of black wire ,black crocodile clip,length of red wire,red crocodile clip.

2 Measure battery voltage with engine running.

3 Turn engine off

4 Connect test lead , led should light.

5 Leave test lead connected,start engine ,hopefully led should stay lit.If it stays lit there must be a problem with wiring to pressure guage.

6 If it blows ,fit new led to test leads,then disable generator either by disconnecting it or removing fan belt.

7 Connect test lead and start engine,if led stays lit ,this indicates a problem with the charging system,if it blows it suggests a wiring problem.

8 Make another test lead 12volt 5 watt bulb ,put this in place of led at pressure guage to see if it works or not.

Hope this helps,I know it seems a bit long winded but it takes longer to read it than do it.

Regarding voltage spikes ,put a supresser capacitor on th e HT coil , like when fitting a car radio.

Maurice

Hi Tim,

The above was what I posted ,if you still have one of your Leds connect it across the battery and see if it works as you won’t need to bend it.

Maurice

21/08/2020 18:20:19

Hi Tim ,did you do any of the tests I suggested about 3 days ago regarding connecting your leds across battery?

Robert has already answered question about Picoscope. Go to ‘picotech.com’ for info .Software is free and runs in demo mode .Prices at around £100.

Maurice

21/08/2020 17:47:51

Hi ,Robert

If you’ve got all this equipment ,why haven’t you done any experiments to show us all what spikes do to an led?

Maurice

21/08/2020 10:41:11

Hi,

Just done a test with green led from junk box in series with 270 ohm resistor ,to test the effect of negative spikes,

Equipment used 12volt power supply,picoscope and 12volt car ht coil. I was able to produce an 80volt negative pulse ,did this a few times.Led and picoscope both connected across the coil.

Disconnected led ,connected it to 12volt supply still works.

negspiketest.jpg

bf98bb28-7223-47a9-b297-8d9eca04d53e.jpeg

All comments welcome good or bad

Maurice

19/08/2020 21:38:22
Posted by Michael Gilligan on 19/08/2020 20:56:25:

But [at the risk of breaking the new forum rules] here is the ebay link: **LINK**

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12V-Pre-Wired-LEDs-3mm-5mm-10mm-Various-Colours-Lamp-Wired-LED-9V-12-Volts-UK/262762466125

This is the listing which I found by using Tim’s search term [but which, of course, has NOT been confirmed or refuted as being what he purchased]

The fact that they are specified for 9 to 12 Volts with a maximum of 14V is what has worried me all along.

MichaelG.

Edited By Michael Gilligan on 19/08/2020 21:03:51

Hi,

I can’t understand what is wrong with the specification.It simply says they work on a 9 to 12Volt supply with maximum

of 14Volt.            Please explain.

These will probably be bought by railway modellers,dolls house makers etc instead of bulbs surely all the info is there.

Maurice

Edited By Maurice Taylor on 19/08/2020 21:39:51

19/08/2020 13:46:15

Hi,

Robert,

Tried green Led from junk box ,it suvived the spikes. If the car is still positive earth ,those spikes on my scope would be inverted ie 130V -ve and 20V +ve ,was it said previously in the thread that leds didn't like -ve pulses.This could be causing the led to fail.

I've given up with it now ,think I've tried my best,would welcome any comments on the above.

Tim,

You could probably try the idea/circuit suggested below.

image.jpg

The led is CPC Part No SC08786, Relay has 12V coil.

I have tried the circuit and the led draws 2.7mA from AA cells , they should last well.

Circuit is completely isolated from car electrics.

Comments welcome good or bad.

Maurice

18/08/2020 18:15:45

Hi Tim ,

Is your car pos or neg earth ?

Are all the other led lamps ,plug in items made for cars ?

Maurice

18/08/2020 16:22:58
Posted by Robert Atkinson 2 on 17/08/2020 15:23:09:

While this is an interesting demonstration of the magnitude of spikes I note your LED had a 820 ohm series resistor. This is a lot higher than the 470 ohm in the OP's. This gives a much more reasonable 11mA current at 12V (assuming 3 V Vf for LED).

I can't see what wiring fault would cause the LED to fail.
As I stated earlier the OP's LEDS seem to be running close t absolute maximum curret rating at 12V.

Robert G8RPI

P.S whats the box of electronics next to the coil?

Edited By Robert Atkinson 2 on 17/08/2020 15:23:50

Hi Robert

I have since tried the same clear Led with a 270 ohm resistor in series,works OK.

The Led I'm using is CPC Part no SC08786.

I think the experiment has proved spikes are not the problem,as Led is wired across points ,cant be any more spikey.

Regarding the box of electronics,it is a homebuilt ECU ,using an Arduino mega ,it will run the ignition using a homemade crank trigger wheel,a BMW crank sensor and a VW wasted spark coil.I haven't fitted fuel injection yet.

I can change from ECU ignition back to distributer ,by changing plug lead an power connection.

The project is known as Speeduino, plenty of info on internet.

Maurice

Edited By Maurice Taylor on 18/08/2020 16:23:35

17/08/2020 14:17:59

Hi,

I have just tested my clear Led with 820 ohm resistor in series on my 40 year old coil and distributer ignition Fiesta.

1 Connected Led to battery, Led lit.

2 Started and revved engine ,left running 5 minutes ,still lit.

3 Turned engine off ,still lit.

4 Connected Led between points side of coil and ground.

5 Started engine ,Led lit ,revved as before,left running, still lit.

6 Stopped engine ,Led not lit, restarted engine ,Led lit

7 Connected Picoscope to check for spikes

batteryvoltage.jpg

The above is battery voltage with engine running.

ledoncoil.jpg

The above is across the coil connected to Led leads

coil

battery

Hope this helps regarding spikes etc, negative spikes 20v positive approx 130 v

This is why I think there is a wiring fault in the car

The spikes do not affect the Led

Maurice

Edited By Maurice Taylor on 17/08/2020 14:19:15

Thread: ⅜" Whitworth wingnut
16/08/2020 18:55:55

They are available from sellers on Ebay.

Thread: Coping with voltage spikes
16/08/2020 15:43:10

Hi Tim,

I thought it could be a faulty earth between door and body but obviously not.

I always go for the simple things first with car electrics as earth faults give as many faults on new cars as they did on old ones

This is the reason for suggesting simple tests instead of complicating everything.

Maurice

16/08/2020 14:43:57

Hi ,Tim

Where is the earth wire from the led connected ,is it connected to the main car body or to the door ?

Maurice

16/08/2020 14:25:02
Posted by Andrew Johnston on 16/08/2020 12:09:24:
Posted by Rod Renshaw on 16/08/2020 11:18:58:

The LED that Tim is using has a series resistor or other circutry built in, as supplied, to render it suitable to run off a 12 v supply.

If that's the case then I agree that the Zener might do something, albeit not necessarily that useful. The problem with Zeners is that they're not overly precise, the knee is quite soft at low breakdown voltages and they have a temperature coefficient.

An interesting test which might help solve the problem is to put an example of the LED on a bench power supply and see what happens as the voltage is increased. That should tell us if there is a maximum input voltage before the LED goes phut

Hi, this test has been done previously in this thread. Why haven't other posters done this simple test. I've just done it myself using a clear led in series with a 820 ohm resistor, lights at 2.7v 0.2mA at 12v 11.4mA at 20v 21mA at 32v 38mA still did not blow (power supply doesn't go any higher ). I don't think zeners etc will make any difference.

Maurice

15/08/2020 20:24:53

Hi Tim,

I would do the following,

1 Make a test lead ,with a 12v led ,length of black wire ,black crocodile clip,length of red wire,red crocodile clip.

2 Measure battery voltage with engine running.

3 Turn engine off

4 Connect test lead , led should light.

5 Leave test lead connected,start engine ,hopefully led should stay lit.If it stays lit there must be a problem with wiring to pressure guage.

6 If it blows ,fit new led to test leads,then disable generator either by disconnecting it or removing fan belt.

7 Connect test lead and start engine,if led stays lit ,this indicates a problem with the charging system,if it blows it suggests a wiring problem.

8 Make another test lead 12volt 5 watt bulb ,put this in place of led at pressure guage to see if it works or not.

Hope this helps,I know it seems a bit long winded but it takes longer to read it than do it.

Regarding voltage spikes ,put a supresser capacitor on th e HT coil , like when fitting a car radio.

Maurice

13/08/2020 23:23:29

I would try connecting the led across the battery at the battery terminals ,the led will light.Then start the car if the led stays lit ,there is more than likely a problem with the circuit where it it is usually connected.It will prove whether the led is suitable or not.

13/08/2020 19:38:58

Have you measured voltage across the led when the engine is running ,it will be more than 12V .Probably the led does not like the higher voltage .Try putting a resistor in series with the led, 470 ohms will do ,see what happens,might need different value series resistor.

Thread: Arduino low power alternatives
06/08/2020 16:06:01

Use the atmega 328 chip on its own ,you only need a crystal and 2 capacitors and it works the same as a Uno.

It will work on a supply between 1.7 and 5.5volt 

Edited By Maurice Taylor on 06/08/2020 16:19:54

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate