By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Peter G. Shaw

Here is a list of all the postings Peter G. Shaw has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Tipped Tools
16/06/2009 13:53:38
Hi Dave,
I've had similar problems as you and now don't particularly rate carbide tipped tools for my purposes. Apart from the rough finish, I don't like the inability to get into corners and the distinct likelyhood of the tip being chipped. Having said that I've got them, so I'll have to make the best of it.

What I've discovered works best for me is as follows. Initially rough turning with little regard for finish to get down towards approximate size. I then follow up using finer and finer cuts until at the end I may be doing as little as 0.02mm deep with as fine a manual feed as I can manage. I find the slowest fine feed of 0.1mm per rev is too coarse. Furthermore, I also repeat the cut a number of times at the same settings until virtually nothing comes off. By this means I can achieve a reasonably good surface.

Where I wish to cut into a corner, I use the carbide tool to roughly get to shape and then finish with a HSS knife tool with a slight flat on it. Again I use fine feeds and cuts with plenty of repeat cuts.

In respect of feed, I use the maximum speed I can (2000rpm) for carbide, and normal speeds for HSS. I do use a cutting fluid (Neatcut from Warco - usual disclaimer) for both carbide and HSS, but tend to cut dry for the finishing cuts on carbide.

Now, I'm well aware that what I've said goes against the usual recommendations, but it works for me.

One other thing is that the rough finish prevents accurate measurements being taken, hence another reason for multiple cuts to obtain a good surface for measurement.

I also have doubts about the accuracy of my lathe, it's graduations and adjustments - yet another reason for multiple cuts in order to, as Len Mason says in his book Using the Small Lathe, "to work the spring out".

One final thing. I now use diamond hones to keep my cutting edges sharp. (And to repair the inevitable chipped carbide!) It takes time, but does seem to pay off.

Good luck.

Edited By Peter G. Shaw on 16/06/2009 13:55:51

Thread: Simpler the Better -what do you use?
09/06/2009 14:25:05
Originally I used Draft Choice for Windows until an upgrade of my computer and operating system made it unreliable. (It was, after all, originally designed for Windows 3x) 

Tried TurboCad but couldn't get on with it. Looked at various others but found them too expensive or the trial time too limited.

Then found DesignCad Pro 2000 going cheap enough to risk. Eventually updated to DesignCad 3D Max V.17 which cost about £25 via Ebay. Similar sort of usage to Draft Choice which made the conversion easy. Both programs are 2D/3D and very easy to learn. Fully recommended especially if a late, but updated version, eg V.17 or 18, can be found reasonably cheap. Possible only down side is that the help system for V.17 is poor. That for '2000' was superb. I understand that V.18 help system has been improved.

Incidently, DesignCad is now marketed by the same company as TurboCad, ie IMSI, however, their marketing seems pointed at TurboCad so finding DesignCad can be a bit difficult.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate